Cold air intake? Or short ram intake? Which would be better?

did you get it tuned for the intake?
Yes I got a coutom tune by VitViper. It is I am not happy with it. It dose sound good but I feel like it is not as good at 5,000-6,000 then the factory air box. I also don't like how they did the battery relocation I had to bend mine down because I couldn't fit my battery in it.

That pic was a stock pic, this is how I installed mine, heat shield in the proper location.P1010001.JPG

Neither. Save more money and buy a RV6 downpipe if you want real gains with or without a tune.

Neither. Save more money and buy a RV6 downpipe if you want real gains with or without a tune.

Why the hell would you recommend an RV6 for "real gains" when it is a smaller diameter than Full-Race or Ultimate Racing?

Why the hell would you recommend an RV6 for "real gains" when it is a smaller diameter than Full-Race or Ultimate Racing?
Actually saving towards a Full Race set up right now. After examining and reading up on the different types of intakes out there, I'll just keep mine stock for the time being and concentrate on the handling and exhaust. I was quite impressed on how well Honda designed its oem airbox for the K24. Friends of mine mustang dynoed two of their 9th gen Si's last summer with stock versus AEM cai, and found the power curves to be quite similar. Of course, if you throw in a good tune the CAI's would be the way to go. But for now I'm looking for a good power/handling balance.

Whether there's a benefit to CAI also depends on the exhaust configuration. Since you can't change exhaust (or DP/Exhaust together) without affecting the TQ curve, it boils down to where you want your torque, and what trade-offs you're willing to make to get it, keep it or just move it around.

I'll be installing an Injen CAI to re-capture some of the torque lost after installing a Full Race DP and Invidia Q300. Sure, i have more top end but didn't realize my low end would suck as a consequence. So I had a choice... call CT Engineering (or KraftWerks!) or try a slightly cheaper solution like CAI.

My ace tuner, Steve (who teaches some sort of college engineering in Manitoba) wrote this to me:

"The science behind all of this TQ movement is essentially a mechanically tuned engine has resonance points where it naturally achieves peak volumetric efficiency, which on Hondas in VTC on the high cam we call Volumetric Supercharging because its actually going higher then 100% Volumetric Efficiency.

There are instances in this resonance, where exhaust restriction, actually protects an exiting exhaust pulse from outside air rushing into the exhaust and colliding with the next pulse, which if it did collide it would be increasing backpressure and reducing HP.

In other words a restrictive exhaust, reduces backpressure at low RPM's and actually increases TQ, but... at the cost of top end.

The short easy answer to your question, a longer tube CAI will move some of this TQ back down, WITHOUT much cost to the top, "much" being defined by 1% or so, but the gains down low being 3-4%.

As you suggested, the easy answer is course calling CT ;)"

It seems like just by looking at the short intakes, there is a very obvious problem with them. They are positioned right near the exhaust header/downpipe and would be simply sucking in the hottest air possible. How they are selling any short intakes makes me scratch my head.

It seems like just by looking at the short intakes, there is a very obvious problem with them. They are positioned right near the exhaust header/downpipe and would be simply sucking in the hottest air possible. How they are selling any short intakes makes me scratch my head.
People who are afraid of hydrolock with a cold air intake seems to be a common remark.

I've driven through some gnarl storms with my cai. So have a few others on this forum.

Just watch out for deep puddles.

Back