Cracked Windshield

andre12dbsi

Gatineau, QC Canada
Vehicle Model
'15 Acura TLX SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
So I'm out washing the car on a nice sunny day and when it comes time to dry it off I notice a huge crack in the center of the windshield. Form right at the top almost down to the middle. It wasn't there this morning when i had the car out driving. How does that happen on a car without even a rock chip in that area? I did get a stone chip on the passenger side way away from this crack and I'm guessing Honda will link the two. What do you guys think? Warranty? I'm obviously going to try that route first. What does a new windshield even cost?

The bad luck continues......

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367174443.319925.jpg

^^ that. If you have to go through insurance, you pay your deductible. Or, you can pay out of pocket.... maybe $200ish

Thanks. I'm definitely trying warranty first. I did a google search and in the Fit forums someone had exactly the same issue. Washing the car and then a crack appeared from the center of the window to about the middle. They replaced under warranty so fingers crossed.

Ok. 200 isn't too bad worst case. I hate putting anything through insurance especially since I had that hit and run claim about two months ago. I don't want two that close together.

Its possible that there's a defect, but more likely there was a small chip or bull's eye in the glass. Temperature change can make the glass crack if there's a chip. I drove 2 years with a small chip in the windshield of my truck. One February evening I was taking my son to his hockey game and suddenly - CRACK! Good luck - if you've got a decent dealer you may be OK. Usually the defect isn't with the glass, but with the fit of the windshield - usually a dirty spot weld is the culprit.

Last edited:
Its possible that there's a defect, but more likely there was a small chip or bull's eye in the glass. Temperature change can make the glass crack if there's a chip. I drove 2 years with a small chip in the windshield of my truck. One February evening I was taking my son to his hockey game and suddenly - CRACK! Good luck - if you've got a decent dealer you may be OK. Usually the defect isn't with the glass, but with the fit of the windshield - usually a dirty spot weld is the culprit.

I always had the creaky dash right up against the windshield and all the way across. I'll probably say that I never thought the window fit right.

So I'm out washing the car on a nice sunny day and when it comes time to dry it off I notice a huge crack in the center of the windshield. Form right at the top almost down to the middle. It wasn't there this morning when i had the car out driving. How does that happen on a car without even a rock chip in that area? I did get a stone chip on the passenger side way away from this crack and I'm guessing Honda will link the two. What do you guys think? Warranty? I'm obviously going to try that route first. What does a new windshield even cost?

The bad luck continues......

View attachment 15868

They had a recall on Elements for windshields that would crack because the materials used didn't have enough give to handle body torque and weather changes. Maybe Honda has a similar issue with this.

Last edited:
They had a recall on Elements for windshields that would crack because the materials used didn't have enough give to handle body torque and weather changes.

Good to know. Thanks.

This is the first that I've heard with our gen Civics so I'm thinking it might not be anything wide spread.

If the crack did not originate from the bullseye, I would have to say 'warranty'. Working in a body shop, I replaced my fair share of windows. I still do my own, and ones for family and friends. 3M windo-weld is the only urethane I use, at the dealership we had a 2 component catalyzed 3M system. There very well could have been a chip on the edge of the glass before it was installed.

If the crack did not originate from the bullseye, I would have to say 'warranty'. Working in a body shop, I replaced my fair share of windows. I still do my own, and ones for family and friends. 3M windo-weld is the only urethane I use, at the dealership we had a 2 component catalyzed 3M system. There very well could have been a chip on the edge of the glass before it was installed.

Yeah the impact I had fixed is no where near the crack. The crack started right at the top dead center. It's now worked itself to pretty well halfway down the windshield and towards the driver side. The chip I had fixed is over on the passenger side.

I'm hoping for warranty!!!!

Just back from the dealer. The warranty manager looked at it and pulled a small nail out of his pocket. He ran it down the crack and when it hit a certain spot, he said there was an impact which would have weakened the windshield. Not covered. It makes sense and the spot was so small, I couldn't even see it. My windshield has so many small pits on it, any crack wouldn't be covered I guess. Maddening but what can you do?

So, an aftermarket windshield installed at the dealer is $500. If I want a Honda one, its $700 plus installation. Since the car is leased, I spoke with the leasing manager who said it didn't have to be the Honda one, but if I went aftermarket they want it done at The dealer so they have the service records. For the matter of saving $100, I've decided to go with the dealer to avoid the hassle when I return it.

Just back from the dealer. The warranty manager looked at it and pulled a small nail out of his pocket. He ran it down the crack and when it hit a certain spot, he said there was an impact which would have weakened the windshield. Not covered. It makes sense and the spot was so small, I couldn't even see it. My windshield has so many small pits on it, any crack wouldn't be covered I guess. Maddening but what can you do?

So, an aftermarket windshield installed at the dealer is $500. If I want a Honda one, its $700 plus installation. Since the car is leased, I spoke with the leasing manager who said it didn't have to be the Honda one, but if I went aftermarket they want it done at The dealer so they have the service records. For the matter of saving $100, I've decided to go with the dealer to avoid the hassle when I return it.
Some insurance policies cover this, minus a deductible, don't they?

Have you considered trying to get a quote from a glass shop... not "honda"? The replacement glass would not be an issue when you return your lease...and would most likely be half the cost they're quoting you. You don't need a service record for replacing your windshield.

Have you considered trying to get a quote from a glass shop... not "honda"? The replacement glass would not be an issue when you return your lease...and would most likely be half the cost they're quoting you. You don't need a service record for replacing your windshield.

Thanks Webby. I'll make a few calls tomorrow to compare. I'm very leery when returning off of lease. I've never had a car with this much go wrong on a leased car either. There isn't much documented in regards to returning vehicles with replacement glass. I guess that could be good and bad.

As long as there is glass in the windshield when you return the lease.... I can't see there being an issue. I saw a quote from another member on another honda site, and they said they recently paid $300 from safelite to have their windshield replaced. No idea if there are any around you, but it may be worth looking. https://www.safelite.com/store-locator/

I was just worried about the Honda logo at the bottom of the window. I thought maybe they look for that on the windows when you take it back.

Us Canadians pay more for everything!!!!

Let's say you need a new Honda windshield for your Accord. Your Honda window may have originally been produced by AP Tech, so that's the brand you'd get if you went to the dealer. But if you went to an auto glass shop, you'd get your Honda window from another reputable OEM distributor (Pilkington or PPG, for example) who makes the exact same windshield, to the same specifications. Because your windshield wasn't made by AP Tech, it doesn't qualify as dealer auto glass, but it's just as good. It's so good that if you return a leased vehicle with an OEM distributor windshield, it will still be accepted by the dealer.

All OEM distributors contract with one or more of the various car manufacturers, and that's what qualifies them as Original Equipment Manufacturers. OEM is a good choice for your Honda Accord unless you absolutely have to have the Honda logo on your windshield.

3. Aftermarket Auto Glass
Aftermarket glass is made by companies that do not contract with any car manufacturers, and do not have the legal right to manufacture auto glass to the exact same specifications as OEM distributors due to licensing and copyright laws. Safelite is one of the main aftermarket or "original equipment equivalent (OEE)" auto glass manufacturers. Aftermarket glass is significantly cheaper than OEM or dealer glass. It's usually a different thickness than OEM glass, and most dealers will not accept aftermarket glass when you return a leased vehicle because the glass differs so much from the original design, and does not carry the same guarantees as OEM auto glass.

by Sara Bruse, Glass.net Customer Service

Well, I take back my comment about safelite (if this article is correct). I guess I'd reference "PPG/Pilkington glass" when you contact some shops to see what they say.

Back