Dash cams

@bootyluvr - You just get that? Let me know how it is. I've been contemplating one for a while. I used to use my gopro but I got stick of having to take it down and put it up every time. It seemed like something people would steal too easily.

@bootyluvr - You just get that? Let me know how it is. I've been contemplating one for a while. I used to use my gopro but I got stick of having to take it down and put it up every time. It seemed like something people would steal too easily.

Well.. @Nix I got it back in May but finally installed it this past Thursday. Definitely looks nice and I will pull the video within the next few days to test it out. I will upload it to YouTube (a clip) and let you see how it is. From the reviews it's a decent dash cam especially for the price ($50-$75 - depending on model you select).

The GoPro is nice and I'm sure the quality will be better on the GoPro but taking it in and out sucks.

Reactions: Nix
@bootyluvr how is the quality of the video? How fo you like it so far? Im looking for a dash cam myself, but I really can't decide on which model is the best yet not so much $$

@bootyluvr how is the quality of the video? How fo you like it so far? Im looking for a dash cam myself, but I really can't decide on which model is the best yet not so much $$

It's not bad. I mean it's not super perfect like the $200+ dash cams. I like it. I've only pulled the video twice. Once for testing and once to see a douche trying to run a buddy off the road.

you should post a sample clip of how it looks in day/night from your car

Yes I should.... I guess I'll do it for you @webby

@r18-power / @webby

Here is a video I found on my Google Drive that I uploaded to YouTube. I will post some more recent ones later. But the license plate in front of me can't be read.. unless you zoom in (with Dashcam Viewer software)

Edit: Time stamp wasn't setup yet. This was the first recording from it.

View: https://youtu.be/JK4N7PyLNeM

the Jeep's plate can be read when I go full screen on a computer. I'm interested to see how night shots look too

I pulled the micro-SD card out of the dashcam when I got home a bit ago.

Pulled the videos from it. Night is definitely meh and I need to figure out the spot in the middle.. it's likely from my center display.

The top display in this picture

1412049538-Subaru-WRX-instrument-panel.JPG

It doesn't seem like you'd be able to capture a license plate off of it unless you're stopped for a while, but that may be the case with most of them during night driving. I don't know. It's still impressive to be in color and stuff the way it is.

I turned down the brightness of my gauges and it looks like the glare (in the middle) has gone away.

In regards to night quality... I rarely drive at night to be honest. My main concern (reason for purchasing a dash cam) was for day time driving while working.

I use a TaoTronics CD05 dashcam every time I drive. It's not hardwired but is plugged in to USB to the 12V and starts recording the moment the car starts. I use its footage on my Bad Drivers of the Bay Area YouTube channel, so you can see the video quality. It's surprisingly good for a sub-$100 camera. The loop recording and ability to lock in clips with one button is great and makes editing really easy. I picked up a cheaper camera with similar features as a rear view as well.

Sorry to bump an old thread (I did search a bit but this seemed like the best old thread to use), I was just curious if anyone had any pics of their dash cam install locations they would like to share (I saw some from bootyluvr on page 2, just looking for more detail).

I have a Thinkware F800Pro installed in my Stealth and I'm pretty happy with the unit; but, while that car is down for the count for a bit, I am wanting to install the camera unit (or another one, still debating that) into my Civic. However, the issue I'm seeing is the damn widows peak from the windshield wipers which prevent from having the camera unit installed high up by the mirror mount in order to be centerline with the car. A few inches to one side or the other won't bother me if it keeps the camera high and out of the way; but, looking at the area not swiped by the wipers, that doesn't seem possible. Anyhow, just curious what others have done.

Sorry to bump an old thread (I did search a bit but this seemed like the best old thread to use), I was just curious if anyone had any pics of their dash cam install locations they would like to share (I saw some from bootyluvr on page 2, just looking for more detail).

I have a Thinkware F800Pro installed in my Stealth and I'm pretty happy with the unit; but, while that car is down for the count for a bit, I am wanting to install the camera unit (or another one, still debating that) into my Civic. However, the issue I'm seeing is the damn widows peak from the windshield wipers which prevent from having the camera unit installed high up by the mirror mount in order to be centerline with the car. A few inches to one side or the other won't bother me if it keeps the camera high and out of the way; but, looking at the area not swiped by the wipers, that doesn't seem possible. Anyhow, just curious what others have done.
I have it high up, right under the middle of the rearview mirror, with the suction cup below the dot matrix I do see the widow peaks from the wipers.
Also to compare, I have a Vantrue X1 (the entry level one). I got this because a lot of youtubers were reviewing the brand and I ordered the cheapest one on Amazon. Possible not the best video quality even if it's 1080, but that's a story for another time and back to your question; I kinda have a slight OCD about not having the videos being recorded not in the middle. Here's one screen shot.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 5.41.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 5.41.20 PM.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 12
It looks like where you have it mounted actually works out pretty well. Even with the non-wiped part of the window showing in the photo, it seems that it doesn't block much since it is offset from center; only concern is if something comes at you from that right side, it may not be easy to make out details. What about in the rain, any issues there?

It looks like where you have it mounted actually works out pretty well. Even with the non-wiped part of the window showing in the photo, it seems that it doesn't block much since it is offset from center; only concern is if something comes at you from that right side, it may not be easy to make out details. What about in the rain, any issues there?
As long as you keep the window wipers on. When rain builds up it'll be harder to see. (kinda like your eyes). When it comes to windshield, I believe less is more, that is, I like to use the wiper being used on the lowest setting comfortably possible. Since the camera is seeing the windshield through at an angle and with rain builds up it will make it hard to see.

Back