Dead 2006 Civic Si

Wire brush the corrosion, use baking soda Coca-Cola to clean battery posts and terminals, with water added - then dry, reinstall if removed, and coat with grease (I use wheel bearing lube) or one of the fancy spray coatings. Only had to do once or twice on our '98 EX in the last 13 years.

FTFY

Last edited:
Yeah, we used to do it on the excursion all the time LOL
...and to think people (I used to) drink that stuff LOL

So does that mean I can eat the oxidized buildup on the batteries? :think:

there are actually a ton of videos showing coke cleaning batteries on the net

View:
View: http://youtu.be/yhWU6tuSuMo

What they left out as far as what I feel needed to be done, was to unhook the cables not only to clean but to apply a battery protector grease(usually at the checkout counter of any auto parts store, less than a dollar). And of course do a 100% restore charge on the battery(and they won't get the terminals messed up in the 1st place).
For ppl that can't charge their batteries due to lack of an electrical outlet, they sell solar battery tenders that work by plugging into the cars cigarette lighter port and leaving the solar part on the dash while charging.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool. How much would a solar battery charger cost?

I actually ordered a new battery wiring harness. The rings were worn out on both sides and fit quite loosely. Should be picking them up tomorrow as well as some other goodies to try to get this car relatively back into shape...

Back