Dealers say they don't negotiate on price.???

C. Dunca

Hi, I have a 2013 Honda Civic SI but my friend is trying to buy a 2012 Civic LX or EX. The Ontario HOnda
Dealers are telling us their prices are firm. Is this a bunch of crap because we are women or should we be
able to negotiate the price.

Hi, I have a 2013 Honda Civic SI but my friend is trying to buy a 2012 Civic LX or EX. The Ontario HOnda
Dealers are telling us their prices are firm. Is this a bunch of crap because we are women or should we be
able to negotiate the price.

Some dealerships do implement a no haggle pricing scheme. Do you have any guy friends that could go without you to try and negotiate and see if they are lying to you?

It's solid advice. You can argue for the sake of disagreeing Policy or not she deserves the best deal and by dealing with one dealership who is not willing to negotiate regardless of policy is not going to do it. I paid 21790 for my car and it wasn't done by worrying myself with their policy I can care less. You are asking her to starting sending people to see if their lying? Ok she might as well spend that time on a dealership that willing to work with her

It's solid advice. You can argue for the sake of disagreeing Policy or not she deserves the best deal and by dealing with one dealership who is not willing to negotiate regardless of policy is not going to do it. I paid 21790 for my car and it wasn't done by worrying myself with their policy I can care less. You are asking her to starting sending people to see if their lying? Ok she might as well spend that time on a dealership that willing to work with her

You are using a single personal anecdote without all of the facts.

If a dealership has a set price no-negotiation policy, and you try to negotiate, you are wasting your time and theirs. If this is the case, you are not giving solid advice.

Maybe there are no dealerships within a reasonable distance and it makes sense for her to go to this one.

Maybe it is just the salesman's tactic/prejudice and not the dealership's policy. I can guarantee, if it is the salesman's tactic and not the dealerships's policy, that the dealership would in fact want her business.

Maybe, if a friend helps her out by seeing if they do in fact negotiate, she could go back and threaten legal action/discrimination...could help her get an even better deal from the dealership.

Or her friend can get her a good price. I have negotiated on behalf a friend before without them present.

Now, if there are other dealerships in the area, I would recommend getting quotes from them as well. It may turn out that this dealership does in fact have the best possible price she can get.

Bottom line: too many variables and not having much background to just tell her to walk away.

@Pauly99to17 or @AlienPrime may be able to chime in about negotiating prices with Canadian dealerships.

I get what your saying. I'm by no means saying to walk away. I'm suggesting she back off that dealer and look at other options. It obviously upset her how she was being treated, but you're right I'm replying specifically for her situation only. Speaking based on my experience with dealers here in the U.S. Sometimes a great deal is worth driving some distance for, if local dealers are not willing "negotiate". Although time consuming I enjoy the whole haggling process. Legal action and all that nonsense is not what one wants to go through when buying a car. Just hit them where it hurts "the pockets"

Bottom line: Don't get caught up in Dealer Bullshit. They're a dime a dozen and she shouldn't spend one more second with this dealership. If she needs to hire private detectives and decoys to buy a car then there something terribly wrong here

Last edited:
Seems to me there's a website that get's you the best deal, they've been advertising on TV. I don't know what the website is, sorry.

Non negotiable on a 2012 ? Something doesn't seem right. That car was probably leased and the lease term is finished. There should be a little room to negotiate.
It would be helpful if we knew how many kms and the price they are asking.

OK, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLYS. WE WENT TO ANOTHER DEALER WHO HAD MORE CARS TO CHOOSE FROM AND BOUGHT A 2013 INSTEAD OF 2012
WITH ONLY 24,000 KM FOR THE SAME PRICE AS THE DEALER WHO WOULDN'T NEGOTIATE. MORE WARRANTY AND MATS AND RUSTPROOFED ALREADY.
WHEN MY LEASE IS UP ON MY SI IN JULY, I HAVE TO GO BACK TO THIS HONDA SHOP THAT I'M NOT HAPPY WITH . MAY NOT RENEW WITH THEM.

I can only think about Scion who has a no haggle pricing. Apparently this is Scion policy across the board.

Back