Downpipe Coating??

T-Wolf

Orlando, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I see Full Race offers high temp coating for their downpipes. Anybody have experience with this? I believe it's a $120 option, not sure if it's needed or not. Maybe more important for forced induction setups..?

My understanding of coating and wraps is they are designed to keep the heat in the piping and reduce engine bay temps.

My understanding of coating and wraps is they are designed to keep the heat in the piping and reduce engine bay temps.

This is true. Just wondering how necessary. Also, I'd like to go turbo eventually...Does anyone know if the stand alone downpipe from full race is compatible with a turbo setup? I know the downpipe in their turbo kit is different from the stand alone downpipe they offer.

you'd be swapping out the full-race downpipe for the turbo downpipe with their kit

IMO high temp coating or heat wrap will help in any case when trying to control heat. The effects just wont be justified or noticed as much until higher HP/more heat generates vs factory.

Also keep in mind this tends to crack headers/downpipes. When you prevent the heat from being dissipated it will just cause the part to get much much hotter. Yes unwrapped it will bleed some heat into the engine bay. But the heat has to go somewhere.

Good point, all comes down to material and application really.

Coatings are the way to go. Those fabric type heat wraps are generally ill-advised from what I know unless its a track machine and you are having a specific heat issue. They tend to both hold heat in the parts creating temps that the part may not be able to manage if it can't shed heat effectively and also they can trap moisture against the part and cause rust issues behind the wrap that you can't see.

Coatings are the way to go. Those fabric type heat wraps are generally ill-advised from what I know unless its a track machine and you are having a specific heat issue. They tend to both hold heat in the parts creating temps that the part may not be able to manage if it can't shed heat effectively and also they can trap moisture against the part and cause rust issues behind the wrap that you can't see.

So, if money wasn't an issue would you go coating or no coating? Application is Full Race catless DP. I would like to go supercharged eventually too.

No cost issue.... Coating. It will help with temps and rust prevention. Just for looks second. hahaha

To be honest, with a SS pipe you shouldn't need any coating or heat wrap unless you are hitting the track and experiencing heat issues. The stainless is very corrosion resistant and does not transfer heat well, which is part of why its so great for exhaust parts anyway. Full Race make very high quality parts and I don't think you will have any rust issues with their DP. Hardware is another story. I think you could save the money and be really fine without the coating. If its something you like the idea of then I say get it. It will help ultimately but, you won't suffer without it either.

On a personal note, I would suggest getting the catted DP. It won't cost you more than a couple HP and it will make your car smell much better. That is something that people in traffic near you will appreciate and so will your passengers.

No cost issue.... Coating. It will help with temps and rust prevention. Just for looks second. hahaha

To be honest, with a SS pipe you shouldn't need any coating or heat wrap unless you are hitting the track and experiencing heat issues. The stainless is very corrosion resistant and does not transfer heat well, which is part of why its so great for exhaust parts anyway. Full Race make very high quality parts and I don't think you will have any rust issues with their DP. Hardware is another story. I think you could save the money and be really fine without the coating. If its something you like the idea of then I say get it. It will help ultimately but, you won't suffer without it either.

On a personal note, I would suggest getting the catted DP. It won't cost you more than a couple HP and it will make your car smell much better. That is something that people in traffic near you will appreciate and so will your passengers.

lmao, my car has the cat in it but damn people still think my car smells.... also doesn't help my car runs rich. but i wouldn't get the coating tbh, i have zero rust and its going on its third winter!

Reactions: Nix
I got my downpipe powder coated by the same company that full race utilizes to coat their exhuast products. It cost 40 dollars less compare what full race charges.uploadfromtaptalk1448123747738.jpg

Last edited:
I ordered my downpipe with the coating. Figured it can't hurt especially since I'm running an sri. No complaints so far

A few pics from the install
ac10318cd94394e08b006efcf5cb35f1.jpg

e7c404aaabba3d92477a700b49e4ccf6.jpg

I ordered my downpipe with the coating. Figured it can't hurt especially since I'm running an sri. No complaints so far

A few pics from the install
ac10318cd94394e08b006efcf5cb35f1.jpg

e7c404aaabba3d92477a700b49e4ccf6.jpg

That is a nice and rusty mid-pipe. Have fun getting those bolts off?

Ha actually wasn't too bad. Car had about 25k on it at the time but MD winters wreck the under side pretty quickly. Guess I'm just used to it at this point.

Mine only went through one Northern Indiana winter and I could only get one off. I ended up removing the downpipe and mid-pipe as one piece.

Back