Downshifting 2 Gears - Is This Normal?

carpenj

Monroe, LA
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I've noticed something in my '13 Si and I'm wondering if it's normal or not. If I shift down 2+ gears (6th to 4th or 3rd, 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd), it is pretty difficult to get the car into the lower gear. There is a lot of 'rubbery' feeling resistance. I even tested it while sitting still with the clutch to the floor, to rule out variables like the delay valve. It makes me hesitant to drop down a couple gears and zip under a yellow light, pass people, etc.

If this is normal, what is my best option (if any) for alleviating it? Thanks!

I've noticed something in my '13 Si and I'm wondering if it's normal or not. If I shift down 2+ gears (6th to 4th or 3rd, 5th to 3rd, 4th to 2nd), it is pretty difficult to get the car into the lower gear. There is a lot of 'rubbery' feeling resistance. I even tested it while sitting still with the clutch to the floor, to rule out variables like the delay valve. It makes me hesitant to drop down a couple gears and zip under a yellow light, pass people, etc.

If this is normal, what is my best option (if any) for alleviating it? Thanks!
@carpenj this is an added safety feature on the Civic Si to prevent people jumping yellow lights or passing people too aggressively etc. It was introduced on the 2013 model.

Are you talking about jump shifting directly from 4th to 2nd, or does it also feel this way even if you make a quick stop at third on the way to 2nd before letting out the clutch?

@KennyGS , of your two examples, only when shifting 4th to 2nd. Shifting down one gear at a time (4th to 3rd to 2nd) feels fine even if it's just quickly in and out of 3rd without releasing the clutch. @JonnyRotten I hope you're kidding lol.

Last edited:
Just because the stick can be directed into any slot you want, doesn't mean that the gear you are going to is just going to go to that gear without having to pass over/though the gears you bypassed.
If you watch a in car camera of a road racer going though the gears, they are not skipping past the next gear, they go in sequence.

If running though a mountain road of curves, it should be planned to down shift progressively, usually the only reason to skip a gear is if we didn't calculate the curve/speed correctly, and had to jump a gear to match the engines rpm.

If you want to skip gears you need to understand & work on how to compensate for the rpm sync, it can be done, but why don't we see pro racers doing it....... NOT.......

View: http://youtu.be/VxGtx9xXhlM

View: http://youtu.be/UNDWhs5GTyg

Okay, if that's the way the car is built I'm good with that. But as you mentioned, something unanticipated popping up that requires acceleration can make for a hairy situation if you're needing acceleration right then. My truck never gave me issues like this, but maybe the shifter was so long that I had enough leverage not to notice extra resistance.

There's a difference between American vehicles, and EU/Asian vehicles. Wish I could put it into technical words, but I can't. The fact of the matter is non American cars the shifting is more delicate.
Many ppl coming from American cars, just don't shift with "Feel", because they have gotten into the habit of just punching it into the next gear and they(the cars) seem to take it.

When shifting EU/AS cars it's a feel for the gates, and the smooth slide, usually done with a light touch of the hand on the shifter.

It must be the American / Asian car difference I'm adjusting to! Still though, would changing the bushings and/or shifter do anything to alleviate some of this?

It must be the American / Asian car difference I'm adjusting to! Still though, would changing the bushings and/or shifter do anything to alleviate some of this?
Can't hurt, will be easier to read/feel and be more precise........... Of course gear jamming will cause these new parts to get old quicker.

Back