Easy DIY Kick Panel Solution

hotdogjohnny

USA
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
If you scuff up the area just inside your doors like I do, you may want to try this. Buy a roll of 2 inch Trim Brite brand "Safety Tread" tape from an auto parts store like Auto Zone. It is very thick, textured black tape, with a peel off backing. I cut it to size and installed it, as you can see. This works well for the black Si. The pictures don't do it justice. The color match is really pretty good.

In the driver's area, I put extra down, because I get in with my right footstepping on the rear of the kick panel. You can butt pieces up against each other and it doesn't show gaps, too.

PICT0012.JPG
PICT0010.JPG

PICT0007.JPG

Looks pretty good. I tend to kick my actual door panels though so there's scuff marks all over those. Lol.

nicely done. Is it essentially like skateboard grip tape?

nicely done. Is it essentially like skateboard grip tape?

Yes and no. It is the same thickness and has a sticky backing, but grip tape is a sandpaper. This is just textured, closer to grained tolex on a guitar amplifier.

Looks like a great mod..... Although I don't see why ppl are getting there feet on the door frame in the 1st place........ but I think it looks like it would do a better job than the "Door-Seal" due to this stuff can be put on wider than the fancy custom plate........... I will say I might get the custom plate just for the looks.

If people want to know how to get in and out of their cars without touching the door frame.......... open the door then stand next to the car,facing away from the car with the back of your calves against the car , leaving your feet on the ground, plop your butt in the seat and lift your right leg and move it to under the pedals, then the left leg while pivoting your butt to the right. Easy-peasy.......

Looks like a great mod..... Although I don't see why ppl are getting there feet on the door frame in the 1st place........ but I think it looks like it would do a better job than the "Door-Seal" due to this stuff can be put on wider than the fancy custom plate........... I will say I might get the custom plate just for the looks.

If people want to know how to get in and out of their cars without touching the door frame.......... open the door then stand next to the car,facing away from the car with the back of your calves against the car , leaving your feet on the ground, plop your butt in the seat and lift your right leg and move it to under the pedals, then the left leg while pivoting your butt to the right. Easy-peasy.......
. . . lemon squeezy. . .
Unless you were a knucklehead who used to race motorcycles . . . three back surgeries later, my right leg takes the weight as I get in :spinning:.

. . . lemon squeezy. . .
Unless you were a knucklehead who used to race motorcycles . . . three back surgeries later, my right leg takes the weight as I get in :spinning:.

I have two knees that were worked on .... and getting in/out the way I described is just too easy. Doing it this way I can also use my left hand on the door frame to enlist extra help. while putting my right hand under my right knee to help lift it if needed.

I have two knees that were worked on .... and getting in/out the way I described is just too easy. Doing it this way I can also use my left hand on the door frame to enlist extra help. while putting my right hand under my right knee to help lift it if needed.

Ah, the price we pay for our past fun, eh?

I still ride my Sport MC though.......... Messed my knees up after about 3000 skydives.......... I've finally given that up.
that's an impressive number. You're lucky its just knees. First military then teaching? How do you accumulate that many jumps? (As we stay veered off topic.)

that's an impressive number. You're lucky its just knees. First military then teaching? How do you accumulate that many jumps? (As we stay veered off topic.)
Started as a Parachute rigger in the Navy(1962) , and had been jumping ever since mostly fun sport jumping. Mostly with the old round mark 4 para-commando, landing down wind for accuracy (could land on a 10 cm disc 7 out of 10 jumps). Now they have the squares where you can land like a feather.(could land softly with the round if landing into the wind, but good luck hitting target)

I find others have trouble with scraping sills. Take 20 passengers for a ride, and it seems like at least a few will kick the sill getting in or out...and the side of the door/speaker area. Unless you never take others for a ride, it's a cheap solution for protection.

I find others have trouble with scraping sills. Take 20 passengers for a ride, and it seems like at least a few will kick the sill getting in or out...and the side of the door/speaker area. Unless you never take others for a ride, it's a cheap solution for protection.

Yes it is, Webby, yes it is . . . emphasis on cheap! And although the driver's side pic is kinda rough, that tape has been there for months, and through a lot of rainand a little snow. In five minutes I can pull that up and have a fresh one down. The tape leaves no residue coming up.

Back