Filling up tires after driving

Loppysaurusrex

Since I don't have a pump at home I have to drive about 10 miles to find a pump

Now if my PSI recommendation is 32PSI cold, how much should I fill it to after driving?

Since I don't have a pump at home I have to drive about 10 miles to find a pump

Now if my PSI recommendation is 32PSI cold, how much should I fill it to after driving?

Do you have a decent air gauge - if not get one as the station pumps are usually inaccurate. Check tires cold, after sitting overnight is best, at home and note pressure in each. If low or imbalanced (different pressure(s) in one or more tires) note which tire is closest to 32 psi take it to station and check tire pressure in tire that was closest to 32 psi and increase or lower pressure by that amount, then set all others to that pressure. Example - if "best tire" was 31 psi cold at home and 34 psi when you got to the pump, inflate all tires to 35 psi and they should be near 32 psi cold. If one or more tires were "imbalanced", suggest rechecking after a couple of days to be sure you don't have a slow leak. The rule of thumb is to check them at least once a month. I do for the first few months then go from season to season if they don't leak. The other rule of thumb is you gain or lose 1 psi for each 10 degrees (the cold reading) temperature changes - if it's 40 degrees hotter the tire pressure could be 4 psi higher.

Do you have a decent air gauge - if not get one as the station pumps are usually inaccurate. Check tires cold, after sitting overnight is best, at home and note pressure in each. If low or imbalanced (different pressure(s) in one or more tires) note which tire is closest to 32 psi take it to station and check tire pressure in tire that was closest to 32 psi and increase or lower pressure by that amount, then set all others to that pressure. Example - if "best tire" was 31 psi cold at home and 34 psi when you got to the pump, inflate all tires to 35 psi and they should be near 32 psi cold. If one or more tires were "imbalanced", suggest rechecking after a couple of days to be sure you don't have a slow leak. The rule of thumb is to check them at least once a month. I do for the first few months then go from season to season if they don't leak. The other rule of thumb is you gain or lose 1 psi for each 10 degrees (the cold reading) temperature changes - if it's 40 degrees hotter the tire pressure could be 4 psi higher.
Yea well I got to the place with the gauge and pump and I read 23 on all tires and filled to 30 PSI now my ride is nice and firm

I used 2 guages so I'm assuming it was accurate, I didn't overfill right?

Last edited:
Yea well I got to the place with the gauge and pump and I read 23 on all tires and filled to 30 PSI now my ride is nice and firm

I used 2 guages so I'm assuming it was accurate, I didn't overfill right?

What year/model car do you have? Does your car have the TPMS? If so it alerts at about 28 psi (4 psi low) on our '12 Si . In any event 30 won't be too high but if you really were at 23 that could be dangerously low if you're carrying passengers and on the hiway for any length of time. Rim/tire damage running over a pothole or curb is a definite possibility. When you're out-and-about try another stations pump/gauge or see if a friend has one you can borrow to recheck your tires. Next to having (and reading) the owners manual the only thing I must carry in our cars or motorcycle is a decent ($3 - $5) tire gauge.

What year/model car do you have? Does your car have the TPMS? If so it alerts at about 28 psi (4 psi low) on our '12 Si . In any event 30 won't be too high but if you really were at 23 that could be dangerously low if you're carrying passengers and on the hiway for any length of time. Rim/tire damage running over a pothole or curb is a definite possibility. When you're out-and-about try another stations pump/gauge or see if a friend has one you can borrow to recheck your tires. Next to having (and reading) the owners manual the only thing I must carry in our cars or motorcycle is a decent ($3 - $5) tire gauge.
2013 SI sedan

I have the upgraded 17 inch wheels I think there were 2 options for the 2013 model and mine were the expensive ones.

2013 SI sedan

I have the upgraded 17 inch wheels I think there were 2 options for the 2013 model and mine were the expensive ones.

Great choice! Then you have TPMS. If it didn't come on and the IMED message about low tire pressure didn't display then you were at better than 28 psi to begin with.
Try another gauge, or get your own - even a cheap one is better than nothing.

Some gas stations have air pressure gauges, maybe you could try there or just a regular auto parts store

Back