First post. Considering a '13 or '14 Civic.

I'm sure I would. Most of the '13 Civic videos I have seen have shown it to be a great car. Most will say "it is underpowered", . . . but realistically, for me, . . . it will still be quicker than my current car. However, many talk about how well it rides, how quiet it is, the feel of the steering, upgrade in interior materials, . . . and the well done revamp of the outside. I wanted a Civic back in the 8th gen days so I should just stick with my gut and leave these other cars alone.

Last edited:
I was actually going to get a '13 Mazda 3 hatch before I got the Civic. The car was really sporty and drove great, but was the car was a little loud for my taste and the ride could of been a little smoother. I like my LX because you get a lot of value for your money and is the perfect all-rounder, but spend the extra money for the EX

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
Yup. I got my LX used so I couldn't complain, the price was ridiculous, but I wish I had the EX.

I hear you all on the EX. Having said that, . . . that extra $2K does add to the monthly payments. Sure, an LX wouldn't be as nice as the EX, but I may not have that luxury [no pun intended] to get the EX.

Realistically, . . . I don't need a moonroof. Many times, I wouldn't want one. I've had drum rear brakes and they stop a car fine. 60/40 folding rear seat? I can't think of a time [in the 16 years I've owned my current car] where I needed only half my back seat down. Rear arm rest? I rarely have anyone else but me in my car. Yes, . . . moving up to 16" wheels would be better than 15" steels with covers, but that may not be worth spending the extra either. Auto temp? Also not needed.

Ultimately, I have no definite on whether I go with an LX or EX. I guess it will depend on how much more down payment money I save up and if I want to spend that extra $2K of that down payment for the EX extras. It's a tough one when trying to get the best monthly payments.

I hear you all on the EX. Having said that, . . . that extra $2K does add to the monthly payments. Sure, an LX wouldn't be as nice as the EX, but I may not have that luxury [no pun intended] to get the EX.

Realistically, . . . I don't need a moonroof. Many times, I wouldn't want one. I've had drum rear brakes and they stop a car fine. 60/40 folding rear seat? I can't think of a time [in the 16 years I've owned my current car] where I needed only half my back seat down. Rear arm rest? I rarely have anyone else but me in my car. Yes, . . . moving up to 16" wheels would be better than 15" steels with covers, but that may not be worth spending the extra either. Auto temp? Also not needed.

Ultimately, I have no definite on whether I go with an LX or EX. I guess it will depend on how much more down payment money I save up and if I want to spend that extra $2K of that down payment for the EX extras. It's a tough one when trying to get the best monthly payments.

if you don't mind going for a '13, you might be able to get an EX for about the same price as a '14 LX since dealers are currently trying to clear out stock.

I don't think there's any difference between the 2013 and 2014 models.

IF there are still '13 models in inventory, that may be an option. But I won't be buying until sometime next year. Need to build up the down payment, and right now I don't have nearly enough to be comfortable with the monthly payment. As it is, I'll have to go with a 6 year loan.

If that is the case, . . . then I would be a VERY happy guy! Let's hope they offer it as an option! :)

There IS a Civic which has a CVT, . . . the Hybrid, but I'm hoping it is added to the LX and EX line.

Last edited:
Most likely, I'll be getting an LX [unless the only car offering the CVT, if the report is true, is the EX]. I'm thinking about asking them if they would trade out the wheel covers with either the 2012 or even 2011 LX models. I REALLY don't like the wheel covers for the 2013. Never have been a fan of directional wheels. Maybe I can work that in as a sort of "barganing chip". I'll be getting a Civic anyway, . . . . . . . but they don't need to know that! hehehe

Most likely, I'll be getting an LX [unless the only car offering the CVT, if the report is true, is the EX]. I'm thinking about asking them if they would trade out the wheel covers with either the 2012 or even 2011 LX models. I REALLY don't like the wheel covers for the 2013. Never have been a fan of directional wheels. Maybe I can work that in as a sort of "barganing chip". I'll be getting a Civic anyway, . . . . . . . but they don't need to know that! hehehe
One more thing to take into consideration with that model is the rear brakes are drum brakes, where the EX has disc... big diff'

I had considered that, but my current car has drum rears and it stops fine. As I understood it, for an average car, they really don't NEED 4 wheel disc breaks. It may stop a little better, but most will never be running their cars to the extent that disc rears are beneficial.

Again, that extra $2K increases the monthly payments enough to matter to my bottom line.

I had considered that, but my current car has drum rears and it stops fine. As I understood it, for an average car, they really don't NEED 4 wheel disc breaks. It may stop a little better, but most will never be running their cars to the extent that disc rears are beneficial.

Again, that extra $2K increases the monthly payments enough to matter to my bottom line.
Just wanted to bring it to light, since I don't know you, I just thought I'd bring it up as some ppl may not consider that part as it's really not visually obvious.
I didn't get the EXL as I felt I didn't need the extras it offered for another 2k...... :D

I'm not a fan of leather either. As far as what I will get, it may end up BEING an EX. Just depends on how much down payment I have and how I feel about the moonroof, 60/40 split rear seat, rear disc brakes, and the other things added to the EX.

I do have to wonder how much shorter an EX will stop compared to the LX. I wonder if anyone has done a test between them?

I'm not a fan of leather either. As far as what I will get, it may end up BEING an EX. Just depends on how much down payment I have and how I feel about the moonroof, 60/40 split rear seat, rear disc brakes, and the other things added to the EX.

I do have to wonder how much shorter an EX will stop compared to the LX. I wonder if anyone has done a test between them?
One thing I've found though the years(of not having rear disc) is how much better I can stop going backwards with rear disc(found that useful off roading in my Jeep in the Colorado Mts.
Also from my past in England, I was in the habit of using my e-brake as an added driving tool, and the better the brake the less effort it takes to apply with the hand. I ride mc's and would never have a drum again(mainly due to wet weather riding/driving.
But was told on here a while back that wet weather doesn't seem to be as big a deal on these newer cars??? I'm just a brake freak, was able to tag a deer and not mark my car or knock the deer down(knock on wood), Thanks to abs and 4 disc.(1 in 113 deer strikes in Virginia).

Back