First track day this year

MarkA

upstate New York
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
sedan
I just finished 2 days of HPDE at the local track, with my 2012 Civic Si. As usual, there were quite a few Corvettes, Porsches, and BMWs who would pop up in my rear-view mirror from time to time. However, during one of the 30 minute on track sessions, it rained. This was my first time driving in the rain, and the car LOVED it.

All the Corvettes, etc, with their fat tires and 500 plus HP engines were tip-toeing around like they were on ice skates, while I, in my mighty FWD Si, blew past them. I can usually pass an occasional higher powered car, if the driver is still timid about driving deep into the turns before stomping on the brakes. This time out, however, I actually *LAPPED* a Porsche!

It still makes me smile.

If I'm going to keep going to the track, I think I'll need to buy a dedicated track car soon. I worry about flogging my daily ride so hard, even though the car doesn't seem to mind.

Mark, great to hear from you again! Where have you been? Hahahaha. Nice update on the track session too.

What sort of tires are you running? I know you had done some brake upgrades as well. Anything new?

Chuckable: I have a build thread: MarkA - 2012 Si Sedan

Basically, I put in a 22 mm rear sway bar, front camber bolts, and Motul 600 brake fluid. I swap out my brake rotors and pads for the track. I'm to the point where I have to decide if I'm going to keep modding this car, or get a dedicated track car. I'd like something RWD. I test drove a Scion FR-S, but it doesn't have enough power. I'll probably look for an E36 or E46 BMW M3.

Nix: I'm still around; just haven't had much to say of late. I put dedicated snow tires on for the winter, as I live on a hill in upstate New York, and there is usually one or two days a year that I can't get home from work with just all season radials! I just put on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 all season radials. They did well.

I have purchased a set of stainless steel brake lines, but have yet to install them. I had open heart surgery about 3 months ago, and I'm still a little sore if I roll around under the car, pulling on a torque wrench too much! Perhaps later this summer, I'll put them in.

Whoa! Thats pretty serious. Take care and heal up man!

The pilot sport A3 may be my next tire. Be sure and review them well for us!

It was between the A/S 3 and the Super Sports. My local tire store had the A/S 3 in stock, so that helped me make up my mind.

I've been doing some research on track cars, and I think I may go with a spec Miata racer. Though not a 300+ hp fire breathing dragon, they have a HUGE following, and I can buy a car already prepped for the track for a reasonable cost. I'll still be able to wrench it, but it will be track-ready from the getgo. Anyone here have any seat time in a spec miata?

Reactions: Nix
Thanks! Driving wasn't bad at all. Trying to put 55 ft-lbs of torque on the left rear brake bracket bolt after swapping rotors was the hardest part!

Reactions: Nix
Back