FooBird's NOT Civic Build -- 2014 Tacoma

The shackles won't stay on all the time and the hawse fairlead will the the Plastidip treatment. The other stuff will be behind the bumper so you won't really be able to see it. You make a valid point though. The bumper is painted with this bedliner paint. Other than it taking a while to get hard because of the bad temperature/humidity combination, it might be a route that I want to take with the rear bumper.

I hear interesting returns on putting down Plastidip on a surface, covering it, then putting another paint or something on top of that. I'd be interested in trying that on some junk parts in my garage and be able to do that with the rear chrome bumper. Preserve the original but make it more than just Plastidip texture/color.

If you use regular paint over plasti-dip it will be as hard to remove as just regular paint. A few people tried it on their wheels before plasti had their glossifier available. Did not work out so well. If the parts are small enough, send them out for powercoat. Plasti holds up surprisingly well as long as you aren't regularly touching it. I tried it on a radio knob just to see.

Front lip of car - no problem lasts about 2 years before really needing a touchup

Radio volume knob- terrible within a couple weeks.

Okay. I've heard both good and bad. Confirmation on the bad.

Thinking more about it on the fairlead. I might just sand that down and apply a nice enamel to it, which I have some nice black enamel paint. That should hold up well. I used the textured bedliner on the rest of the bumper but don't want it on the fairlead because the winch line will go through there and I want that to remain smooth. (I actually searched online for a black fairlead but it'd be way cheaper for me to paint that sucker).

Here's kinda what it's going to look like and be placed like when all is said and done (save the new paint job). So, even a little contrast here won't be bad. But damned @Nomar06 has me thinking...while things aren't fully installed.

IMAG0323_zpsidm8qwsy.jpg

If your going to be using the winch a lot then I would that section as it. No sense in painting it or whatever if it will rub off with the use of the winch.

The shackles, it would dip them.....with the old school dip. The one you actually dip the part in the "product". It actually creates a thick "soft" plastic like you see on the handles of tools. I would do red.

Reactions: Nix
Doesn't look that bad when it's all said and done, but I would paint everything black

DSC4256.JPG

True but those D rings stick out like a boner in a sweatpants. It would look a lot better if everything was in black.

Yup some of them are very pricey.

Yes, i agree with nomar on the dipping of the parts. Get the "old" can of plasti not the spray version. Actual "dip" and it makes a nice coating.

Like this.....I believe they have red, yellow, black and 1 or 2 other colors.

JUNIORCAN.jpg

Are you thinking about doing the rings in black too? Can you post a pic of them still silver on the truck?

Back