Forced induction questions

Bulkybear

Im looking at a FI setup someday but have some questions between supercharging and turbo. Everything ive read so far points to turbos beong a little more custom and difficult to install but putting out more power. Im aiming for the 350 whp area. I really like the philosophy of the kraftwerks rotrex kit. But I was comparing the prices on procivic and prl and noticed that a basic kraftwerks kit with flash pro was about $5300 and on prl a basic turbo kit was about $3k. I thought superchargers were supposed to be cheaper? Also ive read that roots style superchargers produce a lot of heat and also soak up heat from the engine since it bolts directly to the engine. Can anybody clarify why the turbo kit came out cheaper and the difficulty to install these? Maybe I was missing some addons that are needed for the turbo kit and the sc came complete?

prl stage 2 kit is about 4500$ , wich does not include fp, injectors, fuel pump ... . By then you will need an exhaust and probably need to upgrade clutch at 350hp ... You're already almost at 9k and it is not installed and tuned.

You can definitely hit 350 with an SC and the right supporting mods. It's just easier to get into that ridiculous 500, 600, and up range with a turbo. From what I've read, and someone who knows more correct me if im wrong, but 400 seems to be around where the SC drops off a bit compared to a turbo setup in terms of difficulty reaching higher numbers.

So for my goals (300-350 whp) would a $5300 kraftwerks kit with flashpro be sufficient? Also, what about the cheaper cte sc?

Also looking for something I can install myself. Which is why im considering the sc route.

Reactions: Nix
Definitely questions for @VitViper - He would be able to tell you more definitively which route/parts to go with. Plus get your FP/Tune from him and you'll be golden.

Ok time for a noob question. How does an aftercooler connect. I know about intercoolers but not aftercoolers.

One more question. Any issues I may encounter if I decide to use a nx express kit (guessing 75 hp shot would be safe, maybe 100?) As kind of a filler while saving up for the cte kit?

I think you sort of answered your own question. Kit vs. Just the turbo.

The kits are very complete while if you just buy the turbo you still need to piece together everything else to make it work. The cost and time spent DIYing it might not be a significant savings. Also the complete kits have the minks worked out and hardware sorted.

Also ive always been curious. Ive heard the term ebay parts before as they are crap. But really why does this turbocharger cost $300 while a proper turbo kit for our car costs $5k? http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?nav=item.view&id=281135773969

LOL that's a Chinese throw away turbo. You might get a year out of it before it gets shaft play or the turbine vaporizes, or the compressor wheel turns to dust sending metal through your engine. A quality ball bearing turbo starts at $1200.

Lol. Thanks for putting up with my stupid questions. Im just looking at all the power adders and their costs. I figured a lot of ebay parts are crap I just didnt know to what extent. I know I eventually want forced induction. So I dont want to do boltons that will just have to be sold when I go that route. And in looking for some cheaper stuff I can do in the meantime. Looking at some lowering springs as well.

Hey.. Im installing the prl stage 2 kit now.. It cost me a total of $6700.. Thats intercooler , injectors,fuel pump, clutch and flywheel, ball bearing turbo 5862 (which was 600 more) i already have the flashpro and invidia q 300 exhaust. I got a quote for clutch install and tune $1000.. Not sure what to do yet.. I want to get the tune with vit but im not sure how long it would take.. Plus i live in a place where its hard to find a straight away where i can really open it up

And also its not as easy to install as everyone says if you ask me.. No directions either.. But i am not a car mechanic..

Back