Got MPG on my mind (Automatic Transmission \ CVT)

Just drop to regular. You don't need to do it gradually.

If your mpg is up to 3mpg difference, there are any number of variables you cannot control for that would account for that and may actually mask what you think is better mpg. The iMid is not exact either.

Just drop to regular. You don't need to do it gradually.

If your mpg is up to 3mpg difference, there are any number of variables you cannot control for that would account for that and may actually mask what you think is better mpg. The iMid is not exact either.
The next time I fill up, I'll use regular and post the results of range and MPG here, compared to the results I'll get with this last tank of premium.

The next time I fill up, I'll use regular and post the results of range and MPG here, compared to the results I'll get with this last tank of premium.
I totally agree with @squiggy on this....... BUT........ There's was one thing @fg3_colton mentioned that could be a factor for better all round performance..... and that is the lack of 10% Ethanol, that you say is not in the gas you use, I've heard that some stations don't use Ethanol in their premium pumps, but I'd think if it isn't in the pump they'd advertise as such, because that would be a selling point......

By the way the government is trying to increase it to 15%, which is even worse, AMA(mc's) is trying to get it stopped.

I totally agree with @squiggy on this....... BUT........ There's was one thing @fg3_colton mentioned that could be a factor for better all round performance..... and that is the lack of 10% Ethanol, that you say is not in the gas you use, I've heard that some stations don't use Ethanol in their premium pumps, but I'd think if it isn't in the pump they'd advertise as such, because that would be a selling point......

By the way the government is trying to increase it to 15%, which is even worse, AMA(mc's) is trying to get it stopped.
On the pumps in the gas stations i use, there is a sign that says "Less than 10% Ethanol" could that have a factor when using premium over regular?

1. The best speed for my MPG is 70MPH on the highway
you'd actually get significantly better mpg by going slower.

Speed Kills MPG
Unfortunately, it's true. Your car's gas mileage decreases once it gets past its optimal speed. For most cars, this is around 55-60 mph. This means that every time you go over this speed, you're essentially wasting gas and money - and creating unnecessary greenhouse gases.

You'd be surprised to learn that a slight decrease in your highway driving speed can significantly reduce your gas consumption, while only adding a few minutes to your travel time.

How much?
According to studies backed by the department of energy, the average car will be at its advertised MPG at 55 mph. But as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph

====

so you'd save ~17% more fuel by going 55mph over 70mph. Higher speeds kill mpg

you'd actually get significantly better mpg by going slower.

Speed Kills MPG
Unfortunately, it's true. Your car's gas mileage decreases once it gets past its optimal speed. For most cars, this is around 55-60 mph. This means that every time you go over this speed, you're essentially wasting gas and money - and creating unnecessary greenhouse gases.

You'd be surprised to learn that a slight decrease in your highway driving speed can significantly reduce your gas consumption, while only adding a few minutes to your travel time.

How much?
According to studies backed by the department of energy, the average car will be at its advertised MPG at 55 mph. But as the speed increases:

- 3% less efficient at 60 mph
- 8% less efficient at 65 mph
- 17% less efficient at 70 mph
- 23% less efficient at 75 mph
- 28% less efficient at 80 mph

====

so you'd save ~17% more fuel by going 55mph over 70mph. Higher speeds kill mpg
Realistically, we all can't go 50 on the highway/interstate. 70MPH for me provides the MPG and the speed that I want. Granted, my part of Florida has a lot of hills that I use to my advantage to my MPG.

As a retired OTR semi driver, I agree with @webby, the time lost going faster is not much. If we think about it by the hour(hence MPH), on a 8 hour trip at 60 mph, we gone 480 miles, at 70 mph we've gone 560 miles. Doing it one hour at a time, 60 mph and 70 mph we're only talking 10 min. difference, and if the speed limit is 60 you're also not going to get a ticket..... Just set the cruise at 60 and relax, instead of running up your blood pressure, and trying to waste your time looking for police, when that time could be spent looking for idiots, and wild life. Not to mention running the risk of being pulled over, and having God knows what in your car, that you don't want the police to discover.

On the pumps in the gas stations i use, there is a sign that says "Less than 10% Ethanol" could that have a factor when using premium over regular?
I'd question the sign, It could mean, it has 9.9% Ethanol...... Side note: on any packaging they can say pretty much anything they want, and it doesn't have to be true, until they put it inside that content box.

Gotcha, will do.
10e79fcad7c58e3d87f430ad74474054.jpg

This is my current MPG, range, miles driven and remaining gas.
MPG: 35.8
Range: 247
Miles driven: 171.3
This is my "City" driving on premium. We will see how 87 compares. I'm curious to see how much of a difference it will make.

you really need to do the math at the pump & not use the imid. Total miles driven on the tank divided by the # of gallons will provide actual data.

400 miles on a tank / 10 gallons at fillup = you got 40mpg on the tank etc

Realistically, we all can't go 50 on the highway/interstate. 70MPH for me provides the MPG and the speed that I want. Granted, my part of Florida has a lot of hills that I use to my advantage to my MPG.
Florida has hills???
My memory is the only "hill" between Orlando and Cape Canaveral was an Interstate overpass about 35ft altitude - the rest was flat!
Wiki... says highest is 345ft

Florida has hills???
My memory is the only "hill" between Orlando and Cape Canaveral was an Interstate overpass about 35ft altitude - the rest was flat!
Wiki... says highest is 345ft
I live in Clermont, we have a crap ton of hills. Making it easy to just coast for a while. Same goes for most of Orlando especially the 429, 192, and the 408.

Let's just do a perspective on hills.

When driving locally most drives end up coming back from where we started, to mix a phase "what goes down, most come up". So any advantage you get from down hill will be erased going back the other way. Where as on long runs say Colorado to Virginia(5000+feet high) we're looking at a mile drop in altitude, so even though we're going up & down hills to get to Va., we're still in the long run going down hill to get to Va., and that would be where there'd be a savings on gas mileage, vs's going from Va. to Co..

Back