Having an issue....

Jwilly

O'Fallon, Missouri
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Was just wondering if I'm the only one that has hesitation under WOT? Feels as if it's the traction control is kicking in, but I turn it off and still does it. I've tried running injector cleaner through along with a new oil change, but did not do a dang on thing. Any ideas or suggestions as to what it could be? Thanks.

Is this an issue that has always existed, or has it recently occurred? How many many miles are on the odometer? How's the intake filter look?

Silly question on my part but: Do you have an Si or manual?

Does it hesitate at all RPMs or is it just right when you go WOT?

Is this an issue that has always existed, or has it recently occurred? How many many miles are on the odometer? How's the intake filter look?
Started doing it about a week after I bought it, in January. Mileage is just over 12,000 and the filter is barely dirty.

And what mods do you have?
No mods as of yet, unfortunately.

Silly question on my part but: Do you have an Si or manual?

Does it hesitate at all RPMs or is it just right when you go WOT?
It is an Si and manual. It hesitates or bogs down at around 1500-2000 rpm under WOT and then disappears.

I'm trying to see if it's something that I could possibly fix so I don't have to take it in. I'm the type that HATES people touching my car that I don't know. Unless it's something really bad, I refrain from going to ANY dealer! Lol

Hmm.. Is VSA on when it happens?

I am just trying to get a good idea of what's happening and the circumstances. When you're woot that low in the RPM are you in 1st at a slight roll or dead stop? There's just a lot of factors.

The safe thing is to take it to the dealer, but if your car is performing otherwise fine.. I'd say it maybe normal pending information. The car is not going to be very responsive to go fast at 1500-2500 even at WOT it would just slow cruise through those RPMs.

Last edited:
Personally i never drive it under 2k RPM since i can feel the transmission starting to bog down, not shaking yet but not happy for sure.

Hmm.. Is VSA on when it happens?

I am just trying to get a good idea of what's happening and the circumstances. When you're woot that low in the RPM are you in 1st at a slight roll or dead stop? There's just a lot of factors.

The safe thing is to take it to the dealer, but if your car is performing otherwise fine.. I'd say it maybe normal pending information. The car is not going to be very responsive to go fast at 1500-2500 even at WOT it would just slow cruise through those RPMs.

Nope, I have VSA turned off most of the time I'm driving it. It doesn't seem to do it from a dead stop. Does it mostly when I'm driving normally in 1st or 2nd in that rpm range and then go WOT. Unfortunately, it looks as if I'm going to have to break down and take her in Friday. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for trying helping out a first time civic owner! :dance: :wigglesmiley:

Nope, I have VSA turned off most of the time I'm driving it. It doesn't seem to do it from a dead stop. Does it mostly when I'm driving normally in 1st or 2nd in that rpm range and then go WOT. Unfortunately, it looks as if I'm going to have to break down and take her in Friday. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks for trying helping out a first time civic owner! :dance: :wigglesmiley:

What kind of car did you have before? I think what you're experiencing is really normal for a N/A 4 cylinder. Try moving your shift points up by 500 RPMs.. I usually shift at 3k normal driving which keeps me between 2-3k. If you're trying to go WOT you should downshift, you're not going to see any power from your car until after 3,000.(really opens up after 4,000)

Before going to the dealer keep in my at WOT just because you're full throttle doesn't mean you're in the right gear for your car to get moving. That's my best assumption on this hesitation you're feeling and why you don't feel it in 1st from a dead stop.

If this doesn't help your comfort take it to the dealer.. But if its not sputtering around, I doubt there is a problem.

Last edited:
What kind of car did you have before? I think what you're experiencing is really normal for a N/A 4 cylinder. Try moving your shift points up by 500 RPMs.. I usually shift at 3k normal driving which keeps me between 2-3k. If you're trying to go WOT you should downshift, you're not going to see any power from your car until after 3,000.(really opens up after 4,000)

Before going to the dealer keep in my at WOT just because you're full throttle doesn't mean you're in the right gear for your car to get moving. That's my best assumption on this hesitation you're feeling and why you don't feel it in 1st from a dead stop.

If this doesn't help your comfort take it to the dealer.. But if its not sputtering around, I doubt there is a problem.

Couldn't have said it better! ............. RPM's are our friend!

I've had a '97 Probe manual, '03 Protege5 manual, '08 IS250, and now this beauty. Definitely not new to the manual tranny and definitely is the first time I've experienced this. Heck if I know, I'm at a loss as to what this is. :think:

My 2 cents would be the gas...Do you run the same kind every fill up?

Ahh, didn't even think about that! Will try this out over the next two weeks. :thumbsup:

Can you describe the hesitation? Does it make any odd sounds? Does it have any physical feedback?

Does your car feel fine at WOT from 3,000 on? It's a Honda motor.. The only gear that works under 2K is first. Like I said just adjust your shift points to be higher and down shift if you're that low in the RPMs.

What are you doing going WOT in 2nd gear @ 1,500 RPMs if you know how to drive manual? Downshift! :confuzzled:

Last edited:
Well, she's definitely going in. It's now doing it when I downshift to accelerate. It feels like being a passenger in a manual car when someone shifts normally, though not as much pronounced head movement.

I was going to say that I may just be used to those cars that made their power in the bottom end. But after tonight, I doubt I'm just imagining things. Going to take her in before work tomorrow. Keep ya posted.

Back