Hawk Performance Street 5.0 Pads - Problem???

iShift_6

Sitting in Traffic
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
So I'm running a set of spoon monoblocks with hawk performance street 5.0 pads in them.
I went to bed them into my DBA rotors and everything appeared to be ok, the rotors had turned
a nice pale shade of blue and I thought everything was ok. I did pull a wheel off to look at the pads
and they were flaking to pieces. Or at least there was a coating on them that baked off while I was bedding them in.
The exterior flaked off like a roasted pepper. The interior seems to be intact but I don't know what I'm looking at.
Is this common on Hawk pads? Do they coat them in something for shipping? I have since driven the car
carefully and everything seems to be working properly. I tried contacting Hawk and got nothing back from them.

Any input anyone might have would be appreciated. Thanks.

My question is how many miles did you put on them before you did the layering/burn in, and do you know how to do the transfer, correctly?

If you went out and started transferring to early. that could be your problem, and no, I've never used Hawk pads, and know nothing about them.

Back