Help!

Lindsaysarah

I have a 2014 civic si sedan and I currently have my car lowered on H&R springs. Approx 1.3" drop. I recently got some new wheels 17x8.25. I bought 235/45r17 and I'm definitely having some rubbing issues. I'm not running a camber kit. I'm thinking if I just get smaller tires it may eliminate the rubbing. I need some advice on what you think the best tire would be to go with. I've been thinking 225/40r17 but they aren't super easy to find for not an outrageous price. I appreciate your help!!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34
225/40 is the stock tire. You went up in sidewall size/height 5% . That's going to screw up your speedometer in a bad way. Meaning you're going to be traveling 5% faster than what your speedo says, so be careful. 235/40 would have been closer to keep your speedo in check. You can check other sizes and compare to oem

https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

I missed he went down to 17's. That is the correct size tire to keep the speedo in check if those are 17's.

What is the offset on the wheels? Where are you rubbing....front/back....suspension side/fender side?

Whats the offset on the new wheels? If you've gone to a 17" wheel the 225/45/17 tire size should fit very well or a 235/40/17. I would stick to the 225/45.

The 235/45/17 is a wide and tall tire. As far as I know the 225/40/17 size does not exist, in a street tire, but the 225/40/18 does.

Are you rubbing front and rear or just one particular area?

What is the offset on the wheels? Where are you rubbing....front/back....suspension side/fender side?

The offset is +35. It seems to be the front when I make hard turns and the back when I go over bumps. Better when I'm alone. Really bad when other people in the car.

The 235/45 is just too tall. Ideally drop to a 225/45/17 tire. But tires are expensive. If you are not able to return them, which I doubt you can, then running some neg camber can help until the next time you need tires.

Get one set of camber bolts for the front, which is $30-ish, and a set of camber arms for the rear. There is an inexpensive set of Dorman arms on Amazon. Those parts plus an alignment can hopefully fix the rubbing for you. If not, then you will need to do some fender work and have them gently rolled. If you're handy the install is not too hard on either one and will save you quite a bit of money.

The cost of new tires (again) vs parts is something you will have to weigh. I suspect that parts +paying for install +paying for an alignment can cost close to what a new set of tires would run you. If you're able to install them yourself I think you could come out cheaper.

If you live anywhere near KY I can help you with the fender work.

Out of curiosity, why did you go with such a large tire? Did the tire shop recommend that size?

The 235/45 is just too tall. Ideally drop to a 225/45/17 tire. But tires are expensive. If you are not able to return them, which I doubt you can, then running some neg camber can help until the next time you need tires.

Get one set of camber bolts for the front, which is $30-ish, and a set of camber arms for the rear. There is an inexpensive set of Dorman arms on Amazon. Those parts plus an alignment can hopefully fix the rubbing for you. If not, then you will need to do some fender work and have them gently rolled. If you're handy the install is not too hard on either one and will save you quite a bit of money.

The cost of new tires (again) vs parts is something you will have to weigh. I suspect that parts +paying for install +paying for an alignment can cost close to what a new set of tires would run you. If you're able to install them yourself I think you could come out cheaper.

If you live anywhere near KY I can help you with the fender work.

Out of curiosity, why did you go with such a large tire? Did the tire shop recommend that size?

I found some reasonably priced tires so I decided to just get a less aggressive tire. I ended up buying 215/40r17 for $239 for all 4 of them. It was honestly just my lack of doing research and completely my fault . I figured since My stock rims came with 225's going to 235's on a rim that was almost an inch wider would be good and I just didn't realize how much more height it added going from a 40 to a 45. I really appreciate you offering to help that's so nice of you but I'm unfortunately all the way in Vermont. I'm thinking that the new tires I got should do the trick.

Eeh.... who is suggesting these tire sizes for you? That is a very less than ideal size. It is off by more than 5%. Both your speedometer and your odometer are going to be off by quite a bit.

The stock tire for your car is a 225/40/18 which is a 25.1" diameter.

When dropping to a 17" wheel ideal tire sizes:

205/50/17 0% difference/perfect fit, maybe a little narrow for an 8" wheel but not horrible.

215/45/17 -2% difference

215/50/15 +1.5% difference. Mileage works in your favor. Speedo says 60 you are going 61. Thats minimal.

225/45/17 -0.4% difference, This is the size I recommended you get. It is such a slight difference its essentially perfect.

235/45/17 0.8% difference, but too tall/wide since you were rubbing

The 215/40/17 is off by over 5%. When your speedometer says you are going 60mph you will only be going 56.8 and you will lose 5.2% of your mileage. For every mile traveled you will have gone 5.2% less distance. That is significant. Your odometer will be racking up the miles but you will not actually be going that far. I would ideally not suggest anything greater than a 1-2% difference. 2% is a lot and over 5% is pretty bad.

If the tire shop recommended you this size I would go back there and get a proper size tire. Either the 225/45 (might rub) or 215/45 (-2%) or a 215/50 (+1.5%). The 215/50 will be +1.5% so it will work in your favor mileage wise.

Back