Honda Brand Rated Highest In Engine Reliability - Best/Worst Listed

Discussion in 'Honda Industry News' started by webby, Jan 23, 2013.

1. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

Honda Rated Highest In Engine Reliability - MG Rover And Audi Rated Worst
    [​IMG]

Warranty Direct’s study of 50,000 live consumer policies shows some interesting facts. Perhaps chief amongst them is that German manufacturers’ engine reliability isn’t exactly what it’s supposed to be - even for premium manufacturers.

Audi, for example, was the second worst “offender”, with 1 in 27 owners reporting an engine problem; the only manufacturer who did worse was the, now defunct, MG Rover with 1 in 13 – but then again, the British carmaker never had a reputation for reliability.

BMW’s MINI is third, with 1 in 40 vehicles having engine issues, while BMW itself is seventh and VW is ninth.
    Warranty Direct also studied the cost of engine repairs. A Range Rover Vogue with an engine failure recently led to the insurer’s highest claim ever: £12,998.46 (US $20,642), while a dealer quoted £14,853.60 (US$23,588) to repair a destroyed engine on a Range Rover Sport.

On the other side of the spectrum, Honda was the clear winner with only 1 in 344 owners reporting engine troubles, followed by Toyota with 1 in 171, and surprisingly, Mercedes-Benz with 1 in 119.

earnhardt and CivicCanuck like this.
  2. KennyGS

KennyGS How may I help?

I believe that Honda has always been known for their engines - even moreso than their vehicles.

Dragos likes this.
  3. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

KennyGS and Dragos like this.
  4. Dragos

Dragos Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Si
    Body Style:
    4 Door Sedan
    Admitting failure and always evaluating all the possible failure points before the success path always provides good results. Some people say it is a negative attitude to focus on the possible failures and what could go wrong but in engineering obviously it shows the benefit through quality.

Always had a good opinion of Subaru engines but i do not see them in either category. Mitsubishi I also knew they had not the best reliability but did not think they are that low, they still make some sweet cars, see Evo :)

5. KennyGS

KennyGS How may I help?

Great video!

earnhardt and Blimpcity like this.
  6. dentrecords
    • Supporting Member

dentrecords Polar Bear

aaaaand I'm staying with NA engines for the next car I get.

7. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

2005+ rs4's were naturally aspirated.

8. dentrecords
    • Supporting Member

dentrecords Polar Bear

As are all M3s to date... which is why both of those are on my short list for when my Civic blows up (probably not the engine that will go first though heh).

9. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

No fear that both brands are at the bottom 10 for engine reliability?

10. dentrecords
    • Supporting Member

dentrecords Polar Bear

Not with a naturally aspirated engine. If there was a turbo on it, I'd be sure to steer clear. I don't trust them for reliability and I've found the power feels artificial in many of the forced induction vehicles I've driven. I've done the 335i, the STi, Mazdaspeed 3 (and I'm sure a few others that I don't remember) and none of them had the same feel as an engine that isn't relying on a mechanical device to blow more air into the engine.

Dragos and Flippercon like this.
  11. AlienPrime

AlienPrime Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Civic Si HFP
    Body Style:
    2 door Coupe
    i love these! this is so cool to see! Glad volvo is up there too! ultra safe and ultra reliable :D

12. xXBob RossXx

xXBob RossXx Well-Known Member

13. XdemonicfleasX

XdemonicfleasX Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    Lx
    Body Style:
    Hatch
    so much for german engineering...

14. webby
    • Staff
    • 2019 Toys For Tots

webby Administrator

15. jshaw

jshaw Well-Known Member

If I had to guess why MB is up there, it's most of their normal engines are rather unstressed, compared to BMW and Audi. Well, at least in the armchair-engineer-spec-reading analysis :D

16. Pauly99to17

Pauly99to17 Well-Known Member

Vehicle Model:
    2012 LX
    Body Style:
    Dyno Blue Pearl Sedan (FB2)
    Honda engine's FTW!!! :woot: