Honda Brand Rated Highest In Engine Reliability - Best/Worst Listed

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Honda Rated Highest In Engine Reliability - MG Rover And Audi Rated Worst
Untitled_2.jpg

Warranty Direct’s study of 50,000 live consumer policies shows some interesting facts. Perhaps chief amongst them is that German manufacturers’ engine reliability isn’t exactly what it’s supposed to be - even for premium manufacturers.

Audi, for example, was the second worst “offender”, with 1 in 27 owners reporting an engine problem; the only manufacturer who did worse was the, now defunct, MG Rover with 1 in 13 – but then again, the British carmaker never had a reputation for reliability.

BMW’s MINI is third, with 1 in 40 vehicles having engine issues, while BMW itself is seventh and VW is ninth.
Warranty Direct also studied the cost of engine repairs. A Range Rover Vogue with an engine failure recently led to the insurer’s highest claim ever: £12,998.46 (US $20,642), while a dealer quoted £14,853.60 (US$23,588) to repair a destroyed engine on a Range Rover Sport.

On the other side of the spectrum, Honda was the clear winner with only 1 in 344 owners reporting engine troubles, followed by Toyota with 1 in 171, and surprisingly, Mercedes-Benz with 1 in 119.

Admitting failure and always evaluating all the possible failure points before the success path always provides good results. Some people say it is a negative attitude to focus on the possible failures and what could go wrong but in engineering obviously it shows the benefit through quality.

Always had a good opinion of Subaru engines but i do not see them in either category. Mitsubishi I also knew they had not the best reliability but did not think they are that low, they still make some sweet cars, see Evo :)

• Staff
2005+ rs4's were naturally aspirated.

• Staff
No fear that both brands are at the bottom 10 for engine reliability?

Not with a naturally aspirated engine. If there was a turbo on it, I'd be sure to steer clear. I don't trust them for reliability and I've found the power feels artificial in many of the forced induction vehicles I've driven. I've done the 335i, the STi, Mazdaspeed 3 (and I'm sure a few others that I don't remember) and none of them had the same feel as an engine that isn't relying on a mechanical device to blow more air into the engine.

If I had to guess why MB is up there, it's most of their normal engines are rather unstressed, compared to BMW and Audi. Well, at least in the armchair-engineer-spec-reading analysis :D

Back