Honda celebrates 39 years of Civic heritage

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Honda celebrates 39 years of Civic heritage

Honda is looking forward to watching how its new 2012 Civic performs as it hits dealer lots. In the meantime, the automaker is taking a moment to look back at the history of its popular compact. Honda has produced a video titled "Heritage" and, with some help from the British house music trio Dirty Vegas, they provide a glimpse at the history of the Civic.

The first model came to life in the form of the 1973 Honda Civic. Fast-forward to the 2012 version, and Honda can look back on 19,000,000 units sold.

Pretty cool video

selling the human aspect has been the one thing I haven't seen Honda do in its ads until this one.

Very cool!

Question for those of you who have been around Civics for a long time - did that early 90's (maybe late 80's?) Civic actually get 50+ mpg or was that due to the warped fuel economy rules they had back then that allowed car manufacturers to advertise fuel economy numbers that were under perfect conditions that nobody could ever hope to actually achieve?

I just can't remember how far off they used to be. Even if it got within 5mpg of what it was advertised that would have been pretty good.

• Staff
The first honda insight models could get in the 60mpg range without much effort. There are people using them today with some modifications to get into the 100+mpg range.

honda_insight_side_view.jpg

Earlier crx models could get great mileage. The mpg ratings were based off older testing methods back in the 80's, so their ratings wouldn't be the same. Granted, I know there are people who claim mileage in the 40's in older civics. I know 7thgen owners who could achieve 40mpg highway.

I wonder what changed on the Insight between then and now because I'm reasonably sure that the current Honda Insights don't get anywhere close to 60mpg. I remember wanting to buy a used one when I was in high school but it was just outside of my price range. People forget that it was really the early 2000's Honda Insight, not the Prius, that really set the bar for hybrid performance today. I believe the Insight earned the distinction of the most fuel efficient EPA certified car ever built, actually. I thought the early ones looked horrible, but you couldn't really argue with the performance... nobody has built another one yet that rivals it in MPG terms, although I think the electric cars starting to come out are going to usher in a whole new era of fuel efficiency.

• Staff
you have to realize the size and weight of the car. The older 1st gen insights were lighter and smaller.

Gasoline: 1L 995 cc/60.7 cu in lean-burn 12-valve SOHC
67 hp (50 kW)
Electric: 144 V
10 kW (13 hp)
Wheelbase 2,400 mm (94 in)
Curb weight Manual w/o AC 838 kg (1,850 lb)
Manual w/ AC 852 kg (1,880 lb)
CVT w/ AC 891 kg (1,960 lb)

A newer insight is going to do better in crash testing, and have further technological advances. The new insight also a 4dr car. Look at the differences in weight alone

Gasoline: 1.3L 1,339 cc/81.7 cu in 8-valve SOHC i-VTEC
98 hp (73 kW) @ 5800 rpm
Electric: DC brushless motor
13 hp (9.7 kW) @ 1500 rpm
Wheelbase​
2,552 mm (100.5 in)​

Curb weight 1,237 kg (2,730 lb)

Back