Honda Considering More Factories; Less Exports

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Honda Considering More Factories; Less Exports

honda_saitama_plant_623x389.jpg

Honda’s export-bound car production has been hurt by the strong yen according to Reuters. Now the number three Japanese automaker is considering adding more overseas plants – this time in smaller markets that up until now haven’t justified the expense of a local factory. Honda builds many of its products in the markets it sells them in, such as North America.

Honda currently has several manufacturing plants in North America. Many Civic models are built in Canada; the Odyssey and Pilot are built in Alabama; and Ohio is home to an auto assembly, engine plant, and a motorcycle plant.

“We currently have a three-year plan under which we are assuming a rate of 80 yen to the dollar,” said Fumihiko Ike, Honda’s chief financial officer, told a small group of reporters at Honda’s headquarters in Tokyo, according to Reuters. “And under that assumption, the discussion to look for an alternative production base is inevitable.”
Currently Honda exports 30 percent of Japanese-built vehicles. Ike stressed that jobs in Japan need to be protected. Moving production overseas could hurt the nation’s employment rate. Discussions regarding foreign production plants would continue up until Honda’s board makes a final decision.

“Protecting Japanese manufacturing and building cars here is becoming more and more difficult,” Ike said. “We can keep the technology here, but if we were to build cars in Japan, they may be good (quality) products but they would be too expensive. And an expensive product is not necessarily a good product.”

Last week the U.S. dollar was worth 70 yen; Tuesday it had weakened to 77 yen per U.S dollar.
“At these exchange rates we lose competitiveness on these exports, and that leads to a fall in sales, triggering a vicious cycle,” Ike said. “And when that happens, the natural consequence is for that production (in Japan) to disappear.”

Honda has already expanded production of motorcycles to smaller markets like India, Vietnam, and Indonesia. Many Honda motorcycles sold in Japan are built in Thailand and China. If Honda takes the same step with cars, it could pressure Toyota and Nissan to follow suit. Toyota and Nissan export 53 percent and 59 percent respectively of its Japanese-built vehicles.

“Car makers are trying hard to cut costs to absorb the currency impact, but there’s a limit to the speed and scope of what they can achieve,” said Credit Suisse auto analyst Issei Takahashi to Reuters. “Even if they build a lot in Japan, if they lose money by doing so they won’t be able to protect jobs. I think it’s inevitable that some production shifts overseas.”

What they need to consider is injecting more fun into their line up. Less talk about "We are considering.... (NSX, S2k replacement)" and more," we are currently working on (wicked car) as a project with a release date of late 2013." They also need to say, "Due to the demand of our loyal customer base of the last 20 years, we are finally taking into consideration those design elements which owners feel would better improve the experience of the car."

Toyota is realizing that while function>form has been good, their cars were becoming an endless line up of boring commuter cars with no soul. Scion is what has brought life back to Toyota. Learning from the success of Scions forward thinking and funky styling, they are FINALLY updating the Corollas and Camrys to be visually appealing and interesting. Hell, even the Sienna is getting strange (read: funky for a minivan) looking. Toyotas are unboring themselves. Honda on the other hand seems to be doing the exact opposite. Perhaps it is time for Honda to get back to its roots and have a younger, more expressive CEO who rather than focusing on function and reliability realizes that a car needs a soul to hold the interest of its masses. Even the older consumers (the 50+ club) are getting away from boring bench seat comfort and looking towards sportier luxury and power paired with reliability and efficiency. Buick and Honda seem to have swapped rolls in teh car market.

• Staff
definitely points I agree with in your post.

Maybe put a bunch of people in a room, and make them repeatedly watch videos like this

With Toyota and Subaru working together on the FT-86/FRS, Honda is going to need to step it up again. This halfass playing it safe crap has to stop.

• Staff
have you stayed on top of how the group project between sub/toyota has been going? I've seen pics etc, but I'm not really up on the rumor mill or how people are responding to it? You probably have a better knowledge of it from the subaru clan?

I want one. I'm almost willing to settle for the Scion version. I would prefer the FRS. WOrd on the street is Toyota sent this one to Yamaha for sound tuning too.

• Staff
you lost me there... what do you mean settle for the scion version? Are there actually going to be two different cars?

Back