How Does The New Toyota Corolla Compare?

NoMoreNissans

Ottawa, Canada
Vehicle Model
Civic LX
Body Style
Sedan
Any of you guys test drive the new Corolla before buying your Civic? What did you think?

I know they're the direct competitor to our cars, just wanted to hear some honest reviews on them. The new models look pretty nice, especially in black paint and a higher trim level. I like the factory HIDs. But I still think the Civic looks nicer with a few simple tweaks.

Also, does their S trim compare at all to the Si?

Just for fun discussion

Any of you guys test drive the new Corolla before buying your Civic? What did you think?

I know they're the direct competitor to our cars, just wanted to hear some honest reviews on them. The new models look pretty nice, especially in black paint and a higher trim level. I like the factory HIDs. But I still think the Civic looks nicer with a few simple tweaks.

Just for fun discussion

The S trim is just aesthetics and some bells and whistles...nothing different in the way of the engine, suspension, etc. However, the 2014 does add a Sport Driving Mode.

How does Sport mode change my 2014 Corolla driving experience and how do I operate it?
Sport mode increases throttle response to help you accelerate faster. It also changes the transmission programming to shift at higher, more performance-oriented RPM than normal. Lastly, the Electric Power Steering assist will adjust to give you a sportier driving feel at road speeds. Driving in this mode will enhance performance.

To operate, press the Sport Mode button behind the shift lever. A Sport Mode indicator appears in the instrument panel. Your Corolla will stay in Sport Mode until you press the button again or turn the ignition off and back on.

Just for fun discussion
Their S model aside from looking sporty has the same engine and transmission options as their entry level Corolla. The Corolla is great off the line and does a good job of getting power to the road, however getting to highway speeds you will really notice the lack in power and some differences in transmission (CVT) as it hunts for its sweet spot. The Corolla also has a torsion beam in the rear where the Civic has an independent suspension resulting in the Civic having significantly less body roll in the corners.

personally the biggest draw back to the Corolla is the interior. It's just a very boring design to me. Nothing is really directed towards the driver, where Honda really excels is at just the opposite. They are a true driver's car. Having the instrumentation at the driver's finger tips and tilted towards them definitely takes away from the distractions and makes things very natural feeling.

just my opinion.

Last edited:
Any input on the reliability of their engines compared to honda? In terms of making it to 300k+ miles. I'd probably trust Toyota equally alongside Honda IMO

Personally I think the Civic interior blows the Corollla out of the water. Even with the LX, people get in my car and can't believe they're in an entry level economy car. So many standard features

-

Also as a side note, I've found it funny how the refreshed Hyundai Elantra completely ripped off the taillight styling from our 13 sedans. They added the same black housing accents

The S trim is just aesthetics and some bells and whistles...nothing different in the way of the engine, suspension, etc. However, the 2014 does add a Sport Driving Mode.

How does Sport mode change my 2014 Corolla driving experience and how do I operate it?
Sport mode increases throttle response to help you accelerate faster. It also changes the transmission programming to shift at higher, more performance-oriented RPM than normal. Lastly, the Electric Power Steering assist will adjust to give you a sportier driving feel at road speeds. Driving in this mode will enhance performance.

To operate, press the Sport Mode button behind the shift lever. A Sport Mode indicator appears in the instrument panel. Your Corolla will stay in Sport Mode until you press the button again or turn the ignition off and back on.

Sport mode basically sounds like the opposite of our Econ mode feature, except for the steering changes

Toyota engines have a great history of reliability as well. They are a pretty safe bet, and in my opinion, when it comes to me purchasing a new vehicle reliability is definitely high on my list of priorities. We see a lot of 300,000 Kms + Civic's and Accords come through our dealership daily, and to me that speaks volumes.

Sport mode basically sounds like the opposite of our Econ mode feature, except for the steering changes

Actually, it is a direct copy of the Sport mode for the CRZ.

For the CR-Z with 6-speed manual transmission, this mode heightens engine response and motor assist. For the CR-Z with CVT, it selects transmission ratios that heighten engine rpms and acceleration response. For both CR-Z versions, this mode also enhances EPS response for a sporty steering feel

I did test drove a S trim before I picked the Civic over it. The S trim is no where comparable to an Si. The is is more like the Civic EX. The headlights are not HIDs, they are LEDs. Although I never saw them at night, from other reviews, they do seem brighter than halogens.
Something I never figured out is why the S trim has the same horsepower as a non-S model. The LE-ECO actually has the most powerful engine out of all the corolla trims.
I have my EX for a while now and I do like the corolla's knobs and button radio controls over the civic's touchscreen.

I own an S trim corolla and my review of it? Looks great, performs like garbage. Is slow, unresponsive, and was not engineered for sportyness other than the way it looks

Apart from the fact that toyota has had waaaaaaay too many recalls for me to even consider buying one, the type of recalls they've had is a huge turn off for me, I just can't trust any toyota out there. They used to be good quality cars, now they're just mostly junk cars imo..not to offend anyone here of course lol I just feel safer driving a civic :)

The pendulum has just swung too far in the cost cutting direction. Toyota used to over engineer everything. Look at the number of 2jz engines that push massive HP and are still running. Just need it to come back the other way a little. That said, having ridden in a couple of the newer Corollas, I thought they were very comparable to the LX/EX civic but the S is way short of the Si. I do prefer my Civic over the Corolla though.

Maybe if they went back to making them RWD..... and $15k.....

TE27 Corolla:

50eed1d2.jpg

The pendulum has just swung too far in the cost cutting direction. Toyota used to over engineer everything. Look at the number of 2jz engines that push massive HP and are still running. Just need it to come back the other way a little. That said, having ridden in a couple of the newer Corollas, I thought they were very comparable to the LX/EX civic but the S is way short of the Si. I do prefer my Civic over the Corolla though.

Maybe if they went back to making them RWD..... and $15k.....

TE27 Corolla:

50eed1d2.jpg

Agreed. When I drive the S it feels like an LX, but I prefer the drivability of the Honda. Now whether or not I am biased? That's a whole different story

Reactions: Nix
My buddy has a 2013 Corolla s he bought about a month before I got my si, the optional radio nav is way better, but it's still overpriced for how cheap it feels. The inside is way more cramped and cheap feeling. It is also slow and has a ton of body roll, but for some reason everything but Toyota is the devil to him so as much as he complains about, it's still the only car he would even look at. At the same time after sitting in it I knew it wouldn't even walk to that half of the lot (the Honda and Toyota dealer is the same place here).

My buddy has a 2013 Corolla s he bought about a month before I got my si, the optional radio nav is way better, but it's still overpriced for how cheap it feels. The inside is way more cramped and cheap feeling. It is also slow and has a ton of body roll, but for some reason everything but Toyota is the devil to him so as much as he complains about, it's still the only car he would even look at. At the same time after sitting in it I knew it wouldn't even walk to that half of the lot (the Honda and Toyota dealer is the same place here).

:1:

Corolla use to have a XRS model which basically had the Camry transmission and engine pumping out an extra 35+ HP and lb-ft of torque. The XRS was dropped with the 2013 model. But yes like everyone said, the S is all flash and no substance.

Back