Hurricane Sandy

hey Ken,...how long will the generator run on gas? Like... gallons per hour running your stuff right now?

It depends on the amount of load you place on it obviously.

My generator is a 7500/9375 watt. It runs a switch panel with eight 120v circuits, and one 240v. For Marla and me, it averages about 1.5 hours per gallon, and has an 8 gallon tank.

Generac%20%20MODEL%205943%20%20GP%20Series%20GP7500E.jpg

It depends on the amount of load you place on it obviously.

My generator is a 7500/9375 watt. It runs a switch panel with eight 120v circuits, and one 240v. For Marla and me, it averages about 1.5 hours per gallon, and has an 8 gallon tank.

Generac%20%20MODEL%205943%20%20GP%20Series%20GP7500E.jpg
Our power was restored... But after the last few days it's time to hunt down the above referenced beast prime it and have it ready to roll. Ken beside the generator what else is needed to get up and running?

Thanks! We actually have a generator that gives us heat, water, and several circuits for lights, small appliances and fridge. So we're not necessarily suffering. It's a pita to deal with, gassing, oiling, connecting, disconnecting, moving in/out of the garage so it doesn't get stolen.

It would just be nice to have all of our electric back so we have an oven, stove, and all the rest of our stuff.
When I lived in FL, I had a generator. I backfed the power into the house through the dryer plug in the garage. I then had the generator cable locked to a thick tree.

I believe the hurricane was downgraded to a "super storm" about 6 hrs before NJ landfall. The winds decreased which caused the downgrade but the surge was already set in motion. Imagine how much more damage would have been done with 75-85 mph winds instead of 55-74 mph winds.

I hired an electrician to install a transfer switch panel, an outside connector, and make up a 50' cord.

This is the switch panel and outlet I got: http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?30310A

30310A.jpg

Outside box: http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PB30

PB30.jpg

Cord: http://www.reliancecontrols.com/ProductDetail.aspx?PC3040

PC3040.jpg

All totaled about $2K, which included the generator, electrical stuff, and two electricians doing the work. In addition to installing the transfer panel, they cleaned up my main panel - getting it looking much neater (less of a rat's nest). It was all worth every penny.

When I lived in FL, I had a generator. I backfed the power into the house through the dryer plug in the garage. I then had the generator cable locked to a thick tree.

Definitely not recommended.

I believe the hurricane was downgraded to a "super storm" about 6 hrs before NJ landfall. The winds decreased which caused the downgrade but the surge was already set in motion. Imagine how much more damage would have been done with 75-85 mph winds instead of 55-74 mph winds.
We had 80 mph winds in Allentown, PA (right near me).

hurricane scale is based upon sustained winds, not gusts.... again, I think. I'm not a meteorologist :D

ken the last one here to get power? Everyone else back on the grid?

Back