I really need help.

Ray_Kauffman

Philadelphia
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
coupe
Today I came out of school and the paint on the back of my car looked like this. This is a 2012 civic si coupe.
IMG_0826.JPG
I Have no clue what happened and I went to the dealer and I had the auto body guy and the general manager look at my car and they all had no idea. They think it got heated up by something and warped it. No damage at all on tail light but as you can see the corner is popped up. I park it in the back of the parking lot so im pretty sure that would be impossible. The one thing is the temperature right outside philly has been changing alot recently and i have no idea if that has anything to do with it. So this thursday the honda sells rep from my area is coming to check it out. Has anyone seen anything like this?

We've got some huge temp swings here in Ottawa both in the summer and winter and I haven't seen anything like that on mine.

Where exactly on the car is that?

That...is...crazy looking. Honda should be able to cover that under warranty.

i mean it looks like its melted but why would the damage be in that one spot? nothing has come near my car. it only has 1200 miles on it so im bummin

It's hard to say really. Maybe that spot was bad to begin with and the temps just made it worse. I'm sure they'll fix you up.

If you got the windows tinted its possible they used a heat gun to apply the film and if the installer was careless and left the gun pointed at your car it could have heated up and melted the paint in that spot. Wouldn't be the first time it's happened.

i haven't had tint put on yet, i thought maybe even a ridiculous glare off a mirror? idk i have no idea. they said the might cover it but if not they have like a good will factor built into my warranty and it might be a $100 deductible.

Interesting... have you used any type of cleaners or goo gone type stuff on that spot? I know isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol can cause paint to sag like that. Hopefully they take care of you on it. Keep us updated.

I don't think ambient temp changes could cause that in one spot only. You would see more evidence in other spots.

I can honestly say I've not seen something like that. :confuzzled:

RaskyR1 - ever seen something like the paint in post 1???

Last edited:
That's weird. Hopefully warranty will cover it. Keep us updated! I noticed my paint starting to flake near the tail light area. Could be just cheap paint Honda is using. :think:

Is it in a deep spot? Like a place where water could settle?. It looks like when I was trying to remove paint but using paint thinner and letting it sit there eventually the paint thinner dried and looked like that.

If you haven't done anything to the car (like someone else mentioned, i.e. a tint) then I would hope that this is covered by Honda 100%. No way should you dish out $$$ for something you didn't even do. Hope they come through with this one.

What is the red paint on the side? Possible a car, higher most likely bumped you and the muffler melted the paint, barely touched it but enough to do both injuries.

Back