Intake stock vs sri???!!!

Kevin2424

Newfoundland
Vehicle Model
Civic si
Body Style
Coupe
I was talking to A few honda guys today and atm I have a k&n Sri and they told me I'll get better results with my stock intake with a k&n flat filter is this true????

id tend to agree with those guys. it has been said that the PRL intake is the only one to show actual gains over stock

id even go so far as to say forget the k&n drop in filter idea as well and stick with oem

i actually think its kinda silly to think that we and some sketchy aftermarket companies know better than legitimate Honda engineers. Especially something so simple as an intake. If there was a way to squeeze more hp and better fuel economy out of their engines by just swapping in a different tube, Honda would have already done it.

stock does not equal bad! :)

I was talking to A few honda guys today and atm I have a k&n Sri and they told me I'll get better results with my stock intake with a k&n flat filter is this true????
I would say untrue. My first mod was the K&N filter w/ stock intake. My second mod was the K&N sri. I can honestly say that there was a power gain with the intake. Maybe not in the top end , but definite low - mid range increase. Plus it sounds awesome compared to stock. It has a mean growl to it.

Tuning will make the difference, not really a simple bolt on.

I would say untrue. My first mod was the K&N filter w/ stock intake. My second mod was the K&N sri. I can honestly say that there was a power gain with the intake. Maybe not in the top end , but definite low - mid range increase. Plus it sounds awesome compared to stock. It has a mean growl to it.
I have the K&N SRI on my current 2012 Civic Si but this car has been traded for a 2014 Civic Si.
I would agree that it defiantly sounds a little better than stock but I'm not sure if it adds any HP.
I'm taking the SRI off before I trade my car but I'm not sure if I'm going to install it on my new car. After reading @VitViper's comments about power gains with different intakes I might wait and buy the PRL CAI and the Hondata.
I'm waiting for my new car to be delivered still. Hopefully it's coming soon.

id tend to agree with those guys. it has been said that the PRL intake is the only one to show actual gains over stock

id even go so far as to say forget the k&n drop in filter idea as well and stick with oem

i actually think its kinda silly to think that we and some sketchy aftermarket companies know better than legitimate Honda engineers. Especially something so simple as an intake. If there was a way to squeeze more hp and better fuel economy out of their engines by just swapping in a different tube, Honda would have already done it.

stock does not equal bad! :)
Why is it kinda silly to think that no one could know better than Honda's engineers? Engineers survive by compromising. K&N = sketchy company? I kinda disagree but YMMV :pat: .

Tuning will make the difference, not really a simple bolt on.

Yea, some mistake hp/power gain from torque response when they do their intake (sometimes the sound can fool you). The cylinder compression is still the same if not diff by +/- 1% from bolt ons. The car will correct itself if not tuned.

Why is it kinda silly to think that no one could know better than Honda's engineers? Engineers survive by compromising. K&N = sketchy company? I kinda disagree but YMMV :pat: .

As an engineer I agree to this. Fuel efficiency is TOP on the list when civics are in development (even the SI).

Yea, some mistake hp/power gain from torque response when they do their intake (sometimes the sound can fool you). The cylinder compression is still the same if not diff by +/- 1% from bolt ons. The car will correct itself if not tuned.
Kinda, but not really. The stock airbox has vanes which will cause a more laminar flow when the air goes through the MAF sensor. Many intakes, like the K&N do not have it and will cause a the MAF to get screwy readings especially at a higher RPM.

Kinda, but not really. The stock airbox has vanes which will cause a more laminar flow when the air goes through the MAF sensor. Many intakes, like the K&N do not have it and will cause a the MAF to get screwy readings especially at a higher RPM.

I also considered that when I thought about that as a deciding factor from KN SRI or just KN filter. Good add Dar.

Well that was a waist of money please tell me guys that the new skunk2 exhaust I got oredered isn't the same going to guzzle more gas and no ho gains

Well that was a waist of money please tell me guys that the new skunk2 exhaust I got oredered isn't the same going to guzzle more gas and no ho gains

Dont get me wrong, there are gains ie sound, throttle response but not enough where you will see a huge difference.

This is a good discussion with no clear answer. K&N is a reputable company, and they show a gain in horsepower and torque on their website. Vit also is a reputable tuner who says that the K&N adds little to no power, or even loses power over stock. The only way to end the debate is to do a before and after dyno tune on an otherwise stock car with no tuning, done on the same day under the same conditions. The other thing to consider is heat soak. The K&N SRI places the intake about a foot away from the exhaust manifold whereas the stock intake draws air from near the battery. The stock intake runs cooler IATs (intake air temps) and the cooler the air the more power you make, though it's slight. At the end of the day, the K&N SRI sounds much better than stock. Is that worth it? It depends on your goals.

I am ordering the PRL sri...if you guys want dyno examples though I believe that vit has them on his page for some of the intakes that are available.

How about the takeda ice box type sti is that the best sri out there I figure it will save on heat soak ???? Anyone have one

Like what would you choose k&n Sri or takeda ice box and invade you wonder why I don't buy a cold air intake I'm afraid of hydro lock opinions????

Last edited:
Takeda once hot stays way hot. Worse than K&N. Look at DPS Rickspecd street series. No hydrolock. pulls from behind left light where battery was. It stays up high in engine bay. 3.5 in. stays cool.

Ya but with rick spec and prl I need a tune don't I??????? Like I dot want a flash pro yet and with Rico spec do I need to do a battery relocate and if I do how big a job so rick spec is the best?????

Ya but with rick spec and prl I need a tune don't I??????? Like I dot want a flash pro yet and with Rico spec do I need to do a battery relocate and if I do how big a job so rick spec is the best?????
Yes, you'd need tune. Sorry, I didn't know you were trying to avoid that right now. I don't know if rickspecd is better, but I think it's bigger bang for buck. I have been happy w/ mine. Yes, battery relocate. No, not too tough. Biggest diff w/PRL is PRL gives you a new SS clutch line in their kit. I did the rickspecd, didn't like how close clutch line was to battery tray/shift cables, and bought the PRL clutch line. Did the slave cylinder delay valve delete at the same time. Looks like this now. You can see that the filter is right behind driver headlight, and battery down low:
RickdCAI1.jpg
Here's what the PRL clutch line looks like. Goes under the battery tray over to the slave cylinder.
PRL Clutch line.jpg
PRL Clutch line2.jpg

Back