Is this normal?

gingiidrop

Hello, I recently bought a 2012 Honda civic at 146,000 miles for about 3k. Aside from having to order hub caps everything has been fine until yesterday. The breaks are seemingly garbage. Long stops are a necessity or it’ll break like I’m pressing the pedal for dear life. I’m also experiencing shuddering at lower speeds, I’m considering a flush & replacement of transmission fluid ( online says it helps ) do y’all have any tips and tricks for these issues?

It sounds like your rotors and pads need looked at. The rotors may be warped, or you may have uneven pad wear. I’d take a look at that before doing anything else.

you think it’s possible that would cause the shuttering as well?

when you say shuttering, are you talking about the car shaking/vibrating under braking? If so, then yes. Rotors that are warped will cause the whole car to shake under braking.

it’s more like a misfiring sensation, no shaking or vibrations. It doesn’t do it as much if I press slightly and release over and over again. When the car goes down to about a speed of 30 is when it gets choppy and stays choppy until it hits a complete stop

so if you coast to a stop it'll do it? You don't have to touch the brakes for it to have those misfiring sensations?

It’ll only cause the sensation if i have to press the break wether it’s a tap or a hard press, I have to break at a distance and slowly press and release the break to make it as clean as I can when hitting a complete stop but it seems to be worse when I’m at a lower speed anything from 30-0. If I’m coasting there’s no issue

I still say you need to look at the rotors & pads. @Janz3n ... you have any input?

It’ll only cause the sensation if i have to press the break wether it’s a tap or a hard press,
Seems like you are describing a break issue of some kind if the issue only occurs when you are pressing the breaks.

Pull a front wheel off real quick and take some pictures of the rotors and the brake pads. Post them here and we could take a look at them for you.
Could be a break caliper pin getting caught/stuck at some point.

Do you happen to know when the last time the brake pads/rotors were changed? Seems like you could be around the time to change them at the mileage you are at, but depends on how the previous driver drove.

If you have a misfiring issue, it would do it all the time. Not just at a certain speed. You could pull the spark plugs to see what condition they are in also.

Hello, I recently bought a 2012 Honda civic at 146,000 miles for about 3k. Aside from having to order hub caps everything has been fine until yesterday. The breaks are seemingly garbage. Long stops are a necessity or it’ll break like I’m pressing the pedal for dear life. I’m also experiencing shuddering at lower speeds, I’m considering a flush & replacement of transmission fluid ( online says it helps ) do y’all have any tips and tricks for these issues?
Update- the battery died on me and was running very low on voltage power, I forked about 210.00 for a performance battery and it seems to have fixed the issue all together. I will be heading to the shop in the morning to look at the breaks just in case.

Back