Just took delivery of my '13

Regarding the break-in, there actually aren't any instructions with this one in the owner's manual so I'm just following the '11 instructions stating no full throttle starts or hard accelerations for the first 600 miles.

As for the sub, my '11 factory sub was much louder, almost as if it was an aftermarket sub and amp ...
Finally found some evidence of what Honda recommends for the break-in period. I've been digging around for days. I'm at 130 miles on my '13 Si Sedan that I just bought this weekend, and I did some hard pulls tonight. I'm going to relax from now on until I hit ~600 miles.

And I agree with you regarding the sound...I really wasn't blown away considering how much Honda touts the system in it. It's really underwhelming. Sure it gets loud, but not as crisp as 9 speakers + subwoofer should sound.

Thanks for mentioning the 600 mile break-in.

Other observations with the '13 vs. '11...

The body style is great, the image peak height of the car is towards the front end instead of the back end. The hood bump gives it a more aggressive look, and the integrated rear wing is sleek and functional. The door mirrors are much better with less blind spots. The diffusor under the rear bumper is a nice touch.

The non-navi interior is wild with the HUD/info dash, and the reverse camera is a nice bonus with the bright reverse lights. The seats are comfy and the material seems easier to clean, however the thick padding is missing from the center console and door mounted arm rests. The A pillars are thinner and offer a smaller obstructed view through turns.

I really like the added torque on the low end, 95% of my daily driving is local so it's a huge difference, especially with the AC running...still waiting to romp on the VTEC after the 600 mile break-in.

This shifter is better, it's more precise and "notchier", and the clutch spring is easier to depress.

Still getting used to the new electric assist power steering, it's a bit more sensitive on the highway so I might have to lower the front tires PSI a tad because I'm currently running 35-front & 32-rear with the stock tires.

Last edited:
Other observations with the '13 vs. '11...

The non-navi interior is wild with the HUD/info dash]

The non-navi interior, with the huge buttons and knobs is what swayed me to get an Si equipped with Navi. The navi screen just seems to flow better with the rest of the interior, considering there's 3 other screens at the top of the dash. Adds to that Knight Rider-esque feel of it.

The navi is really nice, but I use my phone for nav and wasn't about to pay over $1,500 just for the option.

The non-navi interior, with the huge buttons and knobs is what swayed me to get an Si equipped with Navi. The navi screen just seems to flow better with the rest of the interior, considering there's 3 other screens at the top of the dash. Adds to that Knight Rider-esque feel of it.

Regarding the Premium Sound System, even though the sub seems weaker the overall imaging/sound quality of the entire system sounds clearer and more precise than the one from my '11 FG2.

Last edited:
The larger round shift knob feels better. The full black interior including the ceiling looks nicer. After finally breaking it in last week the torque is a huge difference, it's a more enjoyable daily driver especially around town with the added 40 pounds of torque, and the stock intake with the K&N drop-in filter has a deeper meaner growl than the 2.0. After romping on it all week I'm still averaging 31 mpg after the 600 mile break-in.

Last edited:
The larger round shift knob feels better. The full black interior including the ceiling looks nicer. After finally breaking it in last week the torque is a huge difference, it's a more enjoyable daily driver especially around town with the added 40 pounds of torque, and the stock intake with the K&N drop-in filter has a deeper meaner growl than the 2.0. After romping on it all week I'm still averaging 31 mpg after the 600 mile break-in.
Wow you're averaging 31 MPG? How hard are you pushing it?
Also, you mentioned the K&N filter...have you noticed more sound since you installed the filter? I'm also thinking about getting the K&N filter...
And yeah, the amount of torque and horsepower is just right for a daily driver around town. Makes the drive to/from work and school that much more fun :thumb:

Wow you're averaging 31 MPG? How hard are you pushing it?
Also, you mentioned the K&N filter...have you noticed more sound since you installed the filter? I'm also thinking about getting the K&N filter...
And yeah, the amount of torque and horsepower is just right for a daily driver around town. Makes the drive to/from work and school that much more fun :thumb:

I have the K&N drop in as well and it does sound a little meaner!

Unfortunately I can't confirm that fact because shortly after the break-in I installed the K&N and never calculated the factory filters average MPG, but I do believe it helps. What I did notice was an immediate increase in throttle sensitivity/response within the entire RPM range especially below 4,000 RPM's during local driving, and at or above 4,000 RPM's on the highway. I also used the drop-in on my '11 FG2 and it had the same affect with MPG, throttle response and sound. I may have gained a couple extra horsepower at peak VTEC (7,000 RPM's) but thats not primarily why I use it.

So do you think your average of 31 MPG is a result of the K&N filter?

Last edited:
Another thing is the rev hang issue is gone, it quick shifts perfectly into 2nd and 3rd without grinding. The yellow to red staged shift lights are really easy to see without focusing on them, when the second of two remaining red indicators is lit then its time to shift at peak power 7,000 RPM/201 HP.

I drove it pretty hard since the first few miles. I get good gas mileage and I don't burn any oil. 13k miles now. Engine pulls very strong, I don't think it would have as much power (slightly less) if I babied the break in.

I can get around 34-35 mpg on an all trip highway in this thing at around 80 mph. Upper 20's mixed highway/city (27-29)

Back