LED FOG LIGHTS- Question

CREE LEDs are the brightest LED bulbs in the market right now. I've seen people use CREE bulbs as their license plate lights. Lol. It's way too bright.

I was reading up on the LEDs, the brighter tech is based on a type of plasma they use in the led. So your power will go down as the car ages. But the bulb could take some serious damage b4 breaking vs normal filament bulbs

I think for the Leds I will get

Fogs: 7.5w to 9w std (which converts 25w to 30w max power i think)

Drls: 3.5w to 5w std (which converts to 15w to 20w max power i think)

Last edited:
CREE LEDs are the brightest LED bulbs in the market right now. I've seen people use CREE bulbs as their license plate lights. Lol. It's way too bright.
I just got CREE bulbs for my reverse lights :) personally I think the stock ones are way too dim

Nothing works as good in a halogen reflector type housing as a normal halogen bulb. They are designed to capture the light coming from the filament and direct it out through the lens in a nice wide pattern which is limited in height.

There are standards for tolerances on the location of the filament, but for the most part they are very close to one another. When you go and put a big fat LED corn cob in there, the reflector isn't doing you much at all. From the outside looking in, the color may 'look' better, but the proof is in how well the light control is and the pattern on the road. I find that adding a drop in LED will give you inconsistent lighting, streaky and hot spots as compared to a smooth beam.

The same issues with installing a plug n' play HID kit. They physically put out more light, but often the pattern isn't smooth as it is with a halogen.

Nothing works as good in a halogen reflector type housing as a normal halogen bulb. They are designed to capture the light coming from the filament and direct it out through the lens in a nice wide pattern which is limited in height.

There are standards for tolerances on the location of the filament, but for the most part they are very close to one another. When you go and put a big fat LED corn cob in there, the reflector isn't doing you much at all. From the outside looking in, the color may 'look' better, but the proof is in how well the light control is and the pattern on the road. I find that adding a drop in LED will give you inconsistent lighting, streaky and hot spots as compared to a smooth beam.

The same issues with installing a plug n' play HID kit. They physically put out more light, but often the pattern isn't smooth as it is with a halogen.

My only issue is that I want 5000k or White bulbs. I cannot find bulb that would have this pure white look. I am thinking about going to HIDs as my fogs because I actually need to see the road due to the man holes in NYC.

Last edited:
Back