Let's discuss Summer tires

Lol, yea man, but like I said, finding that limit requires a lot of speed, trust, and probably a good push to keep up with someone.

Hey Rudy! Ken here. Added a Civic Si coupe to the S2000. I'm running Dunlop Direzza II's on the CR. Conti's on the Si. Seem decent but will probably replace them with Dunlops when the time comes.

You have a couple of Cool Cars. Direzza ZII's are a very good performing tire with razor sharp handling. Let me know if I can help in anyway!

ill never buy anything but the dunlop star specs.... they didn't lose traction in 1st gear on 235/40/17 on my turbo build(380whp/280wtq) they were so predictable and made me realize how weak the suspension was..... love them... no matter what weather i was in.

How are the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport A3's looking?

These are the best all season in terms of dry performance. They are very close to some summer tires. Wet performance is solid also. However they are only going to get you through very light snow.

Hey guys I just bought those Michelin super sports and just driving home I could not believe the comfort and the grip they have. It feels like a whole new car now to be honest but I wanted to know what tire pressure should I run these for daily driving? And also if I ever go to the track? Discount tire couldn't give me any input at all.

Reactions: Nix
I like to run a little higher than stock. 35psi instead of 32. Depends on how you drive too.

EDIT: For track days it depends a lot on how the tires are wearing. Have you done any high performance driving with your car before? Its different for a road course vs drag strip. I have no advice for the strip. However for auto-x and road course stuff you need to look at the outer shoulders of your tires. If you are not running enough front camber, -1 & more, then you will most likely be rolling the tire over onto its outer edge under hard cornering. The easiest way to combat this if you don't have enough camber is to run higher tire pressures.

Take a piece of chalk with you. Make a mark from the top of the tire down the sidewall. Run a couple laps. See how much of that line has disappeared at your stock tire pressure. Then make a new line and add a couple psi. Check you pressure hot and cold. It will vary the more you drive and especially if you are driving hard. More heat = more pressure. Run a couple laps at the new psi setting and check your new line. Make another one. Same thing until that line stops being erased down the sidewall. Then you should have a good idea of what pressure you need to run or just slightly lower. Do this on the front and rear tires. Stay within the limits of the tire though. It should be printed on it. If your tire can only handle 40psi max then I do not advise going over that.

Try slightly higher than stock to start. I like to run 35psi cold and have found it gets to the upper 30's when very very hot.

Last edited:
Not sure this is the best place for this because after much sole searching I decided to stick with all season tires ("3 season tires" really as I have a winter set) because some of the best drives are in early spring & late fall when the roads are not too busy and I don't want to be caught out on a cold mountain pass. So I chose Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 tires - and WOW! what a difference to the OEM supplied Michelin MXM4 (or something like that). The handling is completely different - its now so wonderfully "adjustable" in the classic FWD manner: go in too fast, just come off the power or even lightly tip the brakes and the tail steps out a foot, gently squeeze on power and the car just 'sets' with almost no plow-on understeer; still too fast, no problem, just come off the power again and the tail comes out another foot.
I love it and would not change anything and I now have admiration the 2012 Si Sedans standard suspension calibration and for the first time forgive the ridiculously hard ride.
CAVEAT: some may not like this 'Rally style' attitude and prefer to have the back resolutely follow the front.
(I am not entirely sure about these things and roads in my area not remotely suitable for any experimentation; but it just feels to me that the car now has enough tire grip to really lean on the rear anti-roll bar and load up the rear outside tire. (To add to the effect I am running 33 psi front and 31psi at the back - cold pressures. The front tires heat up much more than the back tires even with fairly sedate city driving, I have seen the fronts get to 37 psi when hot. Yes I am one of those that now drives around with the best quality 'pencil' style pressure gauge that I could find (still only $7) - generally these simple old style pencil gauges (with the little rod that pops out) are actually more accurate than even expensive dial or digital gauges.)
Oh..... it wont worry me in the slightest that everyone with upgraded suspensions and wheels will run rings around me because I will be having so much fun trying to get the most of what I have.........)
Only downside is that these tires do not nearly freewheel coast anything like the OEM tires, fuel mileage is a little worse and probably they will not nearly last as long as the original tires - mainly because I am enjoying the car so much more - Wonderful car! I only hope Honda keeps the Si vaguely similar with the new generation......

ridiculously hard ride

"...ridiculously hard ride"?

Our '12 Si, while not as smooth as the Ex we test drove, is not unpleasant even on the washboard part of Rt 8 in Lanesborough. The only times the wife complained was when we hit a 4 inch pavement transition straight on going 30 mph and the time we hit a pothole at 74mph on I81 - Northbound in Pennsylvania that damaged the tire (large bulge in sidewall), cracked the wheel, and did in the alignment - thank goodness Honda and Michelin make a great product or we could have been stranded in the middle of nowhere PA but continued on our way for another 1500 miles with only a slight vibration (a chunk of the wheel had broken off).

I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for a dedicated summer tire. I know they get great reviews, anyone have them on a 9th that can chime in? Also open to other suggestions but I do not need an all season. I'm looking for the best grip on the street, including wet traction.

I'm looking at the Michelin Pilot Super Sports for a dedicated summer tire. I know they get great reviews, anyone have them on a 9th that can chime in? Also open to other suggestions but I do not need an all season. I'm looking for the best grip on the street, including wet traction.
countless 9th owners have them and love them.

"...ridiculously hard ride"?

Our '12 Si, while not as smooth as the Ex we test drove, is not unpleasant even on the washboard part of Rt 8 in Lanesborough. The only times the wife complained was when we hit a 4 inch pavement transition straight on going 30 mph and the time we hit a pothole at 74mph on I81 - Northbound in Pennsylvania that damaged the tire (large bulge in sidewall), cracked the wheel, and did in the alignment - thank goodness Honda and Michelin make a great product or we could have been stranded in the middle of nowhere PA but continued on our way for another 1500 miles with only a slight vibration (a chunk of the wheel had broken off).

Sorry, but as much as I love the car, I consider the ride excessively and unnecessarily hard, particularly at low speeds - BMWs and Porsches handle superbly and are not nearly as hard. (O.K. they are not FWD where you may want to prevent sudden front end lift under application of power, its OK to left the weight go to the rear under power in a RWD car.) I can think that the Honda OEM rims are very strong just judging by their weight - quite heavy compared to others. I have also survived several incredibly severe whacks (where I was convinced there would be damage) but nothing like a 4" transition - ouch!

I was weighing up going to Super Sports when I got my head into thinking that perhaps in my case, living in Ontario, Canada, all seasons might be the wiser route. Judging by my Pilot Sport A/S 3's I can think that the Super sports would be my clear Summer Tire choice.

I live in Newfoundland, we certainly get our share of inclement weather but I have winters on steel wheels for the crappy season.

I'll just chime in and say I love my Super Sports, grip and comfort are far superior than the stock all seasons

Sorry, but as much as I love the car, I consider the ride excessively and unnecessarily hard, particularly at low speeds - BMWs and Porsches handle superbly and are not nearly as hard. (O.K. they are not FWD where you may want to prevent sudden front end lift under application of power, its OK to left the weight go to the rear under power in a RWD car.) I can think that the Honda OEM rims are very strong just judging by their weight - quite heavy compared to others. I have also survived several incredibly severe whacks (where I was convinced there would be damage) but nothing like a 4" transition - ouch!
Whoa - It's been a long time since I've been in one but aren't you comparing $22,000 Apples (Our's was $21,970) to $36 - 45,000 Oranges?

Back