Lightweight flywheels

Kevv_Si

Indianapolis
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
FB6
would upgrading my flywheel help with anything power wise, I've been looking at some light weight competition flywheel? Don't really know much about this mod or its benefit, can anyone chime in?

I don't know about power or anything but make sure you have FP or your car won't run right. I can't find the thread but there was some info on the car not liking the lightweight flywheels for some 8th gen clutch kits.

I don't know about power or anything but make sure you have FP or your car won't run right. I can't find the thread but there was some info on the car not liking the lightweight flywheels for some 8th gen clutch kits.
Yes I ordered my flashpro and vit tune already just wanted to know what was the purpose of a lightweight flywheel

A light wt. allows the engine to get it's rpm up faster, and will have less drag on deceleration.
These are not always what I'd call a better change, depends on why you want it.

A light wt. allows the engine to get it's rpm up faster, and will have less drag on deceleration.
These are not always what I'd call a better change, depends on why you want it.
Hmm I guess what I really want is more power but I think there's not much else I can do other then rbc and rdx swap but I'm going to supercharge my car in the spring so there's no point in doing that for me.

Slicks, light weight wheels, light weight brake/rotor setups. Gut any weight out of the car.

Eh, you have to maintain higher RPMs to really use them effectively from what I know. But they allow you to keep the RPMs higher with less "work" for the engine. I don't think there is a huge enough difference that it would compromise drivability. If one was necessary to run a particular clutch setup then I would say get it. $$ can be spent elsewhere and you may get more for your money.

The extreme performance category tires for example. But be ready to wear them out quickly and need a new set pretty much every year.

I have personally ran an ultra light weight flywheel on my 91 Si hatch. I loved how it accelerated on the freeway. It wasn't able to do a burnout anymore but it made my launches much more effective/productive. I only had to rev up slightly in between shifts. Almost like rev hang.

A lightened flywheel removes rotating mass from your rotating assembly (Pistons, Crank, Rods, Crank Pulley). By lightening your rotating assembly it allows the engine to require less force to spin faster. Depending on the weight it will improve your engine response, but because it is lighter it will have less rotational inertia which helps the car if your coasting. You will also have to shift faster because the engine will lose RPM faster. There are plenty of articles on the pros and cons of lightened flywheels across the internet, but eventually it comes down to personal preference and supporting mods.

Just for reference im running a 12lb flywheel on my supercharged 97. Stock weight was around 18 lbs. Its a noticeable difference.

What he said. My car only had CAI, 4-2-1 headers, and full exhaust. When the EM1s came out a lot of them would get pissed off that I was walking them on the freeway. I miss those days. . .less responsibilities.

The problem im having is purchased flashpro to compensate new exedy clutch and chromoly flywheel
As it stands my 9thgen si sedan wont accept any further programming via flashpro and when connected to desktop computer displays message "vin does not match" anyone else seen or having this issue :0(

Back