Mail off headlights for retro?

soundforgenine

I was curious if anyone here offers a service for you to mail off your headlight assembly for retrofit? I've always loved the look and have wanted to do it on several cars but Im just not sure I have the time, patience, or skill for it. Thanks.

I sent mine to customlightz but I don't know if they are still in business. The main guy has been pretty busy with other life stuff from what I've heard.

If you buy a second set of housings is certainly adds to the cost but at least then you won't have any downtime with your car. Something to keep in mind is that it may take a few weeks to get your lights back. How long can you be without your car? I bought a second set from Honda, sent them in, and then at the end sold the stock housings back to the retrofit company so they would have some "blanks" to use for the next person. Worth talking about with whoever you choose.

Also: DO IT! It's awesome.

Thanks, thats some good advice. I definitely looove the look and will probably end up doing this.. I just dont think im capable of doing it myself... seems to delicate and easy to mess up for me.. lol. I could probably go a week or so without my car as I have a few motorcycles.. but that will suck in the winter lol

Customlightz sometimes has issues keeping up with their backlog, HIDIllusionz also does great work and tends to have a faster turn around.

both companies are on the east coast in case that matters to you, i do know there are some individuals and companies on the west coast, but dont know which they are off the top of my head.

I just had a set of headlights done as webby said by HIDIllusionz, turn around for my particular set of lights was longer than usual but thats because i tend to give them more challenging builds and dont want to rush them through it

Awesome.. It's nice to hear some good feedback and I especially liked their pricing. I don't want to bad mouth anyone so I won't name who.. but another "reputable" company quoted me a price of 900$ to start.. for the set... and that was sending my own lights? I dont know.. seemed unbelievably high for me for a set of H1.

900 with you providing the lights is out of the question. h1's are the easiest ones to even do labor wise. It's a matter of them baking the headlight to open it, and twisting the projector in. The labor on h1's is very minimal. When you get into things like tsx's, tl's, s2000's, etc you have a lot more labor involved. They have to cut into the reflector bowl to recess the projector/mount it, etc.

Thats what I thought.. The guy quoted me over 400$ in labor and 500$ in parts? Now.. I realize Im new to this but I thought all the parts for an H1 kit are like.. 150$ish? I dont know.. I felt like someone was trying to take advantage of me.

^ and acura TL projectors are more involved than h1's by a long shot.

Definitely, TL projectors are almost too big for the headlight and so they require a lot of extra labor to do it right, they also offer a repeat customer discount, so normally the labor would be $400, but i also had them do my ford fusion fog light retro.

heres what they did for my lights
http://hidillusionz.blogspot.com/2014/01/8th-honda-civic-tl-e46-hid-retrofit.html

Yeah, that looks amazing. I am going to see if they can do mine just like that. Do you happen to have the details?

Most of the details are in that blog post but, 2nd gen TL bixenon projectors with zkw lenses, e46 shrouds, depo headlights, i was running them with morimoto 3five 5000k bulbs and ballasts. I no longer own the car they were on, but the headlights found their way onto @Nix 's wifes car a little over a year ago

Most of the details are in that blog post but, 2nd gen TL bixenon projectors with zkw lenses, e46 shrouds, depo headlights, i was running them with morimoto 3five 5000k bulbs and ballasts. I no longer own the car they were on, but the headlights found their way onto @Nix 's wifes car a little over a year ago

Then they got riced out! :giggle: @Nix

Reactions: Nix
Hey! hahahah.... just a little bit! Hahahaha. I removed the "rice" from mine and the only twinge of it on hers is that we painted the high beam reflector bowls transparent yellow.

They are frickin awesome though. I am jealous of her lights.

Thanks for the response. I spoke with Rich today and I'll be sending my headlights out some time next week. I'm going to have it blacked out like yours were and go with the Mini H1s with the Irsis shrouds. I'll also use 5000Ks. Should look pretty sick. Also ordered some Morimoto XB LED Fogs to match.

Back