Mitsubuishi halts the eclipse coupe, spyder, and endeavor in August

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
Automotive News is reporting this morning that Mitsubishi plans to kill the Eclipse coupe, Eclipse spyder and Endeavor crossover in August. Mitsubishi will also let days go by, and give the Galant a slight reprieve until "later."

Mitsubishi will stop making three models at its Normal, Ill., plant in August.
Production of the Eclipse coupe, Eclipse Spyder and Endeavor crossover will cease, while the Galant sedan will continue to be built, said Yoichi Yokozawa, CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America.

A decision on when to end Galant production will be made later, Yokozawa said.
Mitsubishi is retooling the Illinois plant to build the Outlander Sport starting next year. The automaker said in February that it plans to build about 50,000 units of the crossover annually at the plant and export about half of that.

Until now, Mitsubishi had said the vehicles would be phased out by 2013, without specifying when production would cease.

Yokozawa said the move is unlikely to hurt dealers. He said supply of the canceled vehicles is adequate.
On April 1, Mitsubishi had more than a 180-day supply of the Eclipse and Spyder, about a 23-day supply of the Endeavor and a 27-day supply of the Galant, according to the Automotive News Data Center.

Yokozawa, who replaced Shinichi Kurihara as CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America last month, said the Illinois plant builds about 20,000 vehicles annually.

hallelujah... it's about time anyway.

i wonder if the Evolution is next on the chopping block for the U.S. or worldwide. hmmm :scratches:

:word:
bye bye Evo -- and possibly eventually Mitsu as a whole here in the states.
guess that means the Evo VIII, IX, and X may hold their value a lil better over the course of the next few years if that fact is true.

ever since i got to drive "ASHRAF"'s Lightning Red '08 STi at The Dragon event back in 2009 and even more so when he visited my Orlando crew previous to that twice, i've switched my allegiance from Evo to STi. shocking to all my friends, i assure you! :eek:

• Staff
He was driving that Sti behind me at one point.. nice car

mosdef!! he was with our group. he drove a mere 11 hours overnight to meet us @ Robert's place from his place in Houston. he is a true roadtrip king. much like Mike from Canada riding all the way to the Dragon on a motorcycle--more than once!!!! :pimp:

it SHOULD have been a LOT more if a normal driver were taking on that sort of trip. he was doing over 120mph for a good 3 hours he says. he's got a V1 and trusts the thing religiously. it has yet to let him down so far!

to give you a better idea... it was 7-8 hours just from Orlando to Robert's place. imagine tacking on several more for being that far away in the middle of nowhere Texas :eek:

how far of a drive did you have ken?

I travel approximately 12 hours. I believe it's about 740 miles. Only one or two stops for gas and quick food/drink.

I wish I could open the vette up without fear of incarceration. I'd be there in less than half that time. :hiding:

Back