Moonroof Visor Problem (Hissing sound at 35mph)

Rob V

New England
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
I'll try and keep this short. Purchased a new Civic SI coupe recently. I had a Honda Moonroof Visor installed. When the car hits 35 miles an hour you hear a hissing noise like a tire loosing air. Long story short, worked with the dealer to determine its definitely the visor. Had it replaced, same problem. Comparing this to my 03 Civic SI with a visor, the new one cannot be fastened as tight to the roof as the older models so air gets under the weatherstripping (at least I think that is the problem).

Has any one else had this issue? If so, did you get it fixed. I think the problem will be with all coupes (and maybe sedans), not just the SI.

I plan to write American Honda and will keep people posted as to what I find out. If you have a similar experience, please let me know. It may help in my discussions with Honda. I think they can fix it by making smaller clips but I'm not a auto engineer.

what did honda say when they replaced it? They thought it was fixed?

The dealer knew it was not fixed. They are working with me and are very nice about the whole thing. I'm contacting Honda through customer service, they will do what they can through their channels. I'm just looking to see if anyone else has had an issue.

My guess is that it's the leading edge that is making the noise more so than it getting under the doublesided tape. I haven't seen one on a car yet, but if the leading edge is off the surface and there's a canal made from the cars surface the edge and the tape, that would be the problem...... IMHO........

There is no double sided tape. It is just a weatherstripping that goes around the leading edge. Pressure is supposed to seal it. I agree with Monk, in that I think the problem is on the leading edge. On my 03 Civic, it works great. Not so great on the 12 Civic. Here is a link to the install instructions in case anyone is curious.

http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/12visor2dr.pdf

It looks like there is nothing that seals the interface between the visor and the roof surface where it sits. Maybe if that had some kind of rubber gasket of some sort?

there is a rubber gasket on the bottom of the visor, but no double sided tape.
i haven't noticed the hissing noise but i agree that it isn't held on very well with the clips that are supplied with the visor and agree that they should be shorter to allow for the screws to suck the visor down to the body.
they had a good idea for the instllation of this visor so that it could be installed and removed easily but they did a piss poor job of implementing it

Looking at page 5 on the link the bottom section on the right side(showing the side view of the lock down).
I see two things that could help #1- bend the bracket so it pulls the shade tighter(care to not lead to cracking the shade)
#2-Run some rubber
all the way around between the front seal and the bracket, the space inbetween the two.(Lowe's / Home Depot). So if air goes under the shade the rubber will stop it.
If you do bend the bracket I'd want something between it and the paint like one sided tape stuck to the bracket itself.
Good luck !

It looks like there is nothing that seals the interface between the visor and the roof surface where it sits. Maybe if that had some kind of rubber gasket of some sort?
I totally agree !

Looking at page 5 on the link the bottom section on the right side(showing the side view of the lock down).
I see two things that could help #1- bend the bracket so it pulls the shade tighter(care to not lead to cracking the shade)
#2-Run some rubber
all the way around between the front seal and the bracket, the space inbetween the two.(Lowe's / Home Depot). So if air goes under the shade the rubber will stop it.
If you do bend the bracket I'd want something between it and the paint like one sided tape stuck to the bracket itself.
Good luck !

Thanks Monk. There is tape between the brackets and the body. Depending on what Honda says or does, I'll probably try that.

I finally got this figured out. The dealership could not and thought it was the visor design. I was driving, heard the noise and put my hand in the space between the sunroof and the liner. The noise stopped. It was than that I realized that it was the seal on the moonroof that was the problem, not the visor at all. I went to the dealership today and they worked with me. They had a number of different weatherstripping tapes. We put 1/8" by 1" by 1/2" piece of weather-stripping over the visor clamp in the same location. Closed the sunroof and that fixed the problem.

I never got around to writing to Honda. I still think I should. Maybe they will want to look at it or maybe they will do something for me.

Back