My pistons and rings are being replaced

OK I have a Q.. What is normal to show in the dipstick between the two marks after 5k? Is it normal to have it half or quarter in between?

Anywhere between the dots would be fine after 5k (my opinion). The car is going to use some oil. It's reportedly a quart from the bottom dot to the top dot.

Anywhere between the dots would be fine after 5k (my opinion). The car is going to use some oil. It's reportedly a quart from the bottom dot to the top dot.

I've heard this before, you've helped me in the past but can you or anyone give further explanation about "some" oil? I've had plenty of cars, most of which have been Honda/Acura and NONE used ANY oil. I'm just trying to make sense of this. Mine HAS been fine and now all of a sudden after almost a year and 8000 on the clock my dipstick level is moving again. I only went through 1/2 a quart on factory fill which was dumped at 5447 miles and since then (June) it hasn't budged, yesterday took a 70 mile road trip and vtec'd a few times and now 6 months later and 2500+ miles I know the level had dropped, mind you NOT MUCH but I know has dropped since last week when I checked it, why now, what the hell is going on?

I'm not the person to be asking this. Every car uses some oil. Some oil gets into the combustion chamber...and oil is burned. How much.. it's all going to depend on too many factors including break in, how the rings are seated, oil viscosity used....etc etc...

I'm just saying I wouldn't be alarmed or concerned after driving 5k miles... and the oil level still being between the holes. I do have a problem with honda saying you can burn a quart every ~1k miles and that's ok. I disagree.

This is my first Honda. My first brand new Japanese car too. I've had countless other domestic cars brand new, lightly used, and VERY used, and a couple of other used Toyotas.

I've never, ever had any of them cause me to feel like I need to check my oil at least once a week. I've also NEVER with any of them needed to keep a stock of oil on hand to add in between oil changes. I've always just waited until I knew I was close to oil change time, and then gone and bought a filter and oil.

skyfox23 You need to be consistent with how you check your oil.....ie; check it 5 min after shot off on level ground............ between the dots is a quart of oil ...... 3 to 5000 shouldn't be more than one quarter of the way below the top dot ....... If you've been driving the car normally............ high rpms can blow more oil(high I'd call over 5000 rpms alot ...usage will vary using high rpms from car to car.... but still no more than 1/2 quart). if you over fill(which is the worse thing to do you'll probably see oil blow-by if you check under the air filter). webby said it right.... I'm just ocd in my explanations.

Thanks guys, I really feel for the guys going through this, I really do, and I don't want to become the next victim so to speak. I'm always consistent with how I check the oil, when and where etc. I don't really buy into run the car and shut it off mentality so to speak, I check the oil the same way every time though and the same place and damn near the same time, I have Thur/Fri off of work and before I run my errands on my days off usually Thur I pull the dipstick in the garage before I even go any where. From a dead stop, sitting cold over night, never really understood running it and then letting it cool for 5 min's. To me that's not that accurate, the way I do it makes me feel more comfortable as that's the bottom line, that's what's in the pan, none of this is there still oil coating various parts dripping down into the pan while I wait for 5-10 min's. I don't know, never really understood that method? Not saying its wrong just don't do it that way. So in essence my Si is in the same spot done in the same manner every time

Thanks guys, I really feel for the guys going through this, I really do, and I don't want to become the next victim so to speak. I'm always consistent with how I check the oil, when and where etc. I don't really buy into run the car and shut it off mentality so to speak, I check the oil the same way every time though and the same place and damn near the same time, I have Thur/Fri off of work and before I run my errands on my days off usually Thur I pull the dipstick in the garage before I even go any where. From a dead stop, sitting cold over night, never really understood running it and then letting it cool for 5 min's. To me that's not that accurate, the way I do it makes me feel more comfortable as that's the bottom line, that's what's in the pan, none of this is there still oil coating various parts dripping down into the pan while I wait for 5-10 min's. I don't know, never really understood that method? Not saying its wrong just don't do it that way. So in essence my Si is in the same spot done in the same manner every time
I can see where you're coming from........... the main draw-back is if you fill it up to the top line(hole) while it's cold you're going to over fill it and that will make it blow oil back though the airfilter area ..... and if driven at high rpm's there's a chance of blowing seals...................... To do it the way you want(cold)........... I'd do the 5 min after shut off, then fill to just a hair below the top line, then check it again in the morning to see where your standard will be, so as not to go over that mark cold.

That makes complete sense. Funny thing is I've never had to add anything to it, yet anyway. When I had the factory fill in it went down to 1/2 a quart low and since it was between the 2 dots in the safe range I just left it alone never adding anything and it stayed there from about 1300 miles to 5447 miles when I changed the oil. Another funny thing about changing the oil, at the Honda dealership, THEY over filled it by 1/2 a quart putting a full 5 quarts in...I was mad as hell and they argued with me for 2 days about it telling me we always put 5 quarts in the Si, and I said have you even seen a 12 Si, that was back in June and I really think they were unaware of the engine change in the 9th Gen!!! 2 days later convinced them to drain 1/2 a quart out so it was still a hair over top dot and has been until today and now it's at the top dot so I'm not sweating it too much but noticed it did in fact move. Going back to my Acura dealership for oil changes from now on.
Just will continue to keep an eye on it. On a side note I was planning on my 2nd oil change next week or the week after as its been 6 months since last change but only 2500 miles on current oil and 70% left on MM. I'm just anal, 6 months OR mileage which ever comes first is how I was always taught, well it use to be 3mo or 3000 miles but now I use FULL synthetic.

That makes complete sense. Funny thing is I've never had to add anything to it, yet anyway. When I had the factory fill in it went down to 1/2 a quart low and since it was between the 2 dots in the safe range I just left it alone never adding anything and it stayed there from about 1300 miles to 5447 miles when I changed the oil. Another funny thing about changing the oil, at the Honda dealership, THEY over filled it by 1/2 a quart putting a full 5 quarts in...I was mad as hell and they argued with me for 2 days about it telling me we always put 5 quarts in the Si, and I said have you even seen a 12 Si, that was back in June and I really think they were unaware of the engine change in the 9th Gen!!! 2 days later convinced them to drain 1/2 a quart out so it was still a hair over top dot and has been until today and now it's at the top dot so I'm not sweating it too much but noticed it did in fact move. Going back to my Acura dealership for oil changes from now on.
Just will continue to keep an eye on it. On a side note I was planning on my 2nd oil change next week or the week after as its been 6 months since last change but only 2500 miles on current oil and 70% left on MM. I'm just anal, 6 months OR mileage which ever comes first is how I was always taught, well it use to be 3mo or 3000 miles but now I use FULL synthetic.
What's going on with your dealer(and others) is when they change the oil, they're using bulk oil so they aren't counting oil-cans, and they usually don't take the time to let the oil settle before adding more to get it up to the top line......... Which brings it back to "knowing" where to stop the topping off of the oil..... There is a conciderable amount of oil that doesn't get down to the pan, and that's why the 5 min wait............... Just remember they aren't going to take that time........

Yes this is true but the exception here is my dealership really are a bunch of dummies as they didn't have the Ultimate Full Synthetic at my dealership so I drove 50 miles to another dealership and bought 5 quarts as it takes app 4 and a 1/2 with filter but they used all 5!!! WTF??? Same principle I guess as they probably didn't wait to empty all 5 containers but when I asked for my 1/2 quart container that should've been left is where all the ill advised drama began!!!

Yes this is true but the exception here is my dealership really are a bunch of dummies as they didn't have the Ultimate Full Synthetic at my dealership so I drove 50 miles to another dealership and bought 5 quarts as it takes app 4 and a 1/2 with filter but they used all 5!!! WTF??? Same principle I guess as they probably didn't wait to empty all 5 containers but when I asked for my 1/2 quart container that should've been left is where all the ill advised drama began!!!
Sorry to say, they proved my point........... especially when they actually have cans to work with.

So I pose a question: let's say you're in the VIN range and your consumption is very little NOW and you decide not to do piston/ring replacement now. You keep the car or trade it what ever, how long would you the consumer have to act on the TSB?? Honda comes with a 5 year 60K powertrain warranty, within that range or even further or does that even matter? Lets say you keep or trade it and its fine for now but years down the road 7 or 8 could you still act on the TSB?? Basically I'm just wanting to know when a TSB is issued does it supersede any and or all warranties??

This came up a few months back when a staff member needed work done. He was past his warranty period, but there was a tsb on a part years back. His didn't fail till he was like 100k+ in miles. Tsb's are free of charge under warranty. Out of warranty, it's the owners responsibility. Although, there is a clause that essentially states you can have it covered outside of warranty if you have a claim reviewed by Honda (prior to work being done).

why worry when that **** will burn off.

Going over the recommendation can cause issues. If the oil gets too high, it can be whipped into a froth.

Plus isn't the Si like 11:1 compression? I'd also assume that extra oil with compression like that could blow a seal or gasket?!

This came up a few months back when a staff member needed work done. He was past his warranty period, but there was a tsb on a part years back. His didn't fail till he was like 100k+ in miles. Tsb's are free of charge under warranty. Out of warranty, it's the owners responsibility. Although, there is a clause that essentially states you can have it covered outside of warranty if you have a claim reviewed by Honda (prior to work being done).

Thank you always good to know

I would think a tad lower. Oil gets thinner when it gets hot. This is also the reason the check the oil when its warm and not cold.

Back