Need Answers Regarding Aftermarket Rims

DerWeißeTeufel

Vehicle Model
Civic
Body Style
Coupe Si
Good morning, 9th Civic members ! It has been a nice warm welcome for me in this group so far. I'm gradually finding and navigating myself around here and getting myself familiar and comfortable. I am planning on focusing and completing the suspension setup before I focus on anything else.

I recently over the weekend (05.29.20) installed and upgraded the subframe with Sirimoto front&rear tie bars and W-brace.

Since I'm planning on replacing both struts and springs with aftermarket parts and not coilovers, I figured why not go ahead and get new rims since my car needs new tires in a few months. I have '15 stock Honda OEM rims. I'm currently looking at JNC 005 white machined lip rims.

https://sparktecmotorsports.com/i-3...xd0y6RPCK6BlLXaAV6wceVW86dSQlQ7BoCpLYQAvD_BwE

What I do see and understand is the stock rims are 18x7 while the JNC rims are 17x8.5. It means 1"shorter and 1.5" wider. What are benefits of going 18" to 17"? Will I get a bit more gas mileage and acceleration? I know 8.5" means I have little more grip. I like to know what I am getting myself into because I don't want to end up getting parts that will make my ride uncomfortable and less fun than it is now.

Howdy, @ElDiabloBlanco !

I noticed that the bolt pattern chosen for your JNCs is 5 x 100; For your Civic it should be 5 x 114.3mm. :)

For suspension dynamics, I'll have to defer to the others with lowered rides.

I'm glad you mentioned the bolt pattern since I wouldn't have know the difference.

i think because it has both bolt patterns listed im gunna assume the rim is universal for both patterns :think:.

im not sure if its the rim width that will give you more traction as much as its the actual tire width.

8.5” width rim id do 235/40/17 tire. MAAAYBE a 215/45/17 but youll have a slight stretch. and also id SLAM it :eyebrows:

Thanks for the links. I'm about to check it out and do a bit more research before I decide on anything.
Great idea. That width and low offset is going to cause fitment problems. So unless you are into rolled fenders and camber, I would consider a different wheel.
The wheel/tire section has various stickies regarding wheel fitment on these cars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

i think because it has both bolt patterns listed im gunna assume the rim is universal for both patterns :think:.

im not sure if its the rim width that will give you more traction as much as its the actual tire width.

8.5” width rim id do 235/40/17 tire. MAAAYBE a 215/45/17 but youll have a slight stretch. and also id SLAM it :eyebrows:

hahahah, my objective is to get the best overall handling performance for daily driving. I intend lowering the car. I was looking at Skunk2 struts & springs. It is 2.25"F 2.00"R. I'm not sure if it is too low for me since I'll have to slow down going through speed bumps and dips. I recently installed a Sirimoto front tie bar and W-Brace. So, it definitely will make contact with speed bumps.

I definitely AM getting a K-Tuned crash bar before I lower the car. I don't want to take any chance damaging the oil pan.

http://k-tuned.3dcartstores.com/9th-Gen-12-15-Civic-SI-Crash-Bar_p_509.html

With the Skunk2 pair, I'm considering getting Skunk2 rear camber kit.

Again I am aiming for the best suspension setup for my daily drive. I'm an aggressive driver. Handling and acceleration are all I care about. Right now I want to focus on maxing out my car's potential handling performance.

Great idea. That width and low offset is going to cause fitment problems. So unless you are into rolled fenders and camber, I would consider a different wheel.
The wheel/tire section has various stickies regarding wheel fitment on these cars.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Appreciate the heads up. This is exactly one of the many reasons why I decided to join this group. I want to upgrade and at the same time having respect for my car by not doing anything frivolous without knowing what I am doing and what I'm getting myself into. I'm here to gather my resources I need before I go ahead and make any serious purchase decision. Again, thanks for the heads up.

Word of warning to the OP - if your heart is set on those wheels, be aware that they will poke out A LOT, not just a bit. If you add any lowering of any kind, budget for some bodywork or you'll be rubbing like crazy (and even that might not be enough). Count on excessive wear on suspension components with what you are proposing to do.
And this is for a daily driver? I'd really advise that you reconsider your plans.

Word of warning to the OP - if your heart is set on those wheels, be aware that they will poke out A LOT, not just a bit. If you add any lowering of any kind, budget for some bodywork or you'll be rubbing like crazy (and even that might not be enough). Count on excessive wear on suspension components with what you are proposing to do.
And this is for a daily driver? I'd really advise that you reconsider your plans.

Just googled an example -- YIKES
Yeah, my bad @ElDiabloBlanco , these guys will stick out quite a bit apparently. These are some also ET15's on some Audi.

p4pb6761154.jpg

Ohhh, Thank you for chiming in. It is the offset # that I'm not familiar with yet. I just did some researched and got myself a bit more familiar than I was before I posted this thread. Great callout !

This is perfect! Thanks for linking :)

Absolutely ! Anything I find useful and resourceful, it is my pleasure sharing and passing along the knowledge. I love to deep dive into my research and finding these gem details.

Is there an archive here in this group where we can store all of the vital links that can help enhance our researches?

Although heavy i always liked how the 14-15 Si wheels looked once the car is lowered. Maybe just lower it for now and see how u like it while you browse and learn more about the rim/tire combo u want. personally on the 14-15 COUPES i think 18” is the way to go

Back