Need Help With Replacing Factory Subwoofer in 2012 Si with Premium Audio.

Man, that sucks. Seems to be the consistent result though.

What next?

It is a size issue. Maybe try a Kicker. The cutout size is fine, but it is an issue of the width of the basket clearing the trunk opening/closing mechanisms. I am not sure I want to take the chance a second time and get stuck with return shipping fees again.

I am going to put the stock one back in and check clearances and see if I want to chance trying another one or not.

It was jbl not jl, but it too is disappointing from what I've read from others that tried. It really comes down to how bad you want bass. You can add a powered unit with quick release connections so you can take it out if you need space.

Or this...

3E2B0D1F-8958-417A-B2C5-F4A6F44147EB-11987-0000039CAB3DEE41_zps08466b77.jpg

It was jbl not jl, but it too is disappointing from what I've read from others that tried. It really comes down to how bad you want bass. You can add a powered unit with quick release connections so you can take it out if you need space.

I am considering keeping the Pioneer. Reviews for it are actually pretty good. Recommended box is .4 cu ft. Paired with your suggestions of a quick release might not be a bad idea. They actually make a box specifically for it.

884938152037.jpg

dimensions: 11-3/4"W x 5-1/2"H x 9-1/4"D

Could mount the amp right on top. Dunno. Just throwing ideas out there now.

Last edited:
I mounted my alpine on my box, it's pretty cool, I can disconnect it If need be.

If you need high power disconnects, search out genderless connectors, they are used all the time for winches and booster cables, so on. I have also seen them on electric pallet trucks.

I have found that the factory premium sub to be really good, Bass is amazing!, the only drawback being that in order to get the Bass to come alive you first have to completely fill the trunk with boxes!
I drove my daughter to Calgary in the summer last year and had all of her belongings in the trunk and was blown away at how well the sub performed, unfortunately i had to unload her stuff in Calgary and drive back with the trunk empty and nearly no bass again , lol

I have found that the factory premium sub to be really good, Bass is amazing!, the only drawback being that in order to get the Bass to come alive you first have to completely fill the trunk with boxes!
I drove my daughter to Calgary in the summer last year and had all of her belongings in the trunk and was blown away at how well the sub performed, unfortunately i had to unload her stuff in Calgary and drive back with the trunk empty and nearly no bass again , lol

So it essentially need some resistance. Go figure.

I haven't looked at the underside of the rear deck lately but I wonder if it's possible to fabricate something to seal off the back of the factory sub. Maybe a sealed basket of some type with some poly-fill to make the sub feel like it's in a box since the free-air setup essentially sucks.

The trunk support bar gets in the way. I'm guessing you would need about .50 to make it right so I would say no.

Wouldn't be worth it. Not gonna make much a difference since the sub that's there is designed for infinite baffle. Look for another better sub that's designed for free air/infinite baffle if you don't want a box.

Wouldn't be worth it. Not gonna make much a difference since the sub that's there is designed for infinite baffle. Look for another better sub that's designed for free air/infinite baffle if you don't want a box.

Problem others have pointed out though is other free-air, shallow-mount subs either don't fit or just plain suck. Even subs designed for free-air still seem to perform better in a box. Looking at the underside of the rear deck, I think I can fabricate something that will still clear the trunk support bar.

The best way to sum it up is that free air truly sucks,there is no way around it.trying to go around it will just make you angry.

Back