New member with a 2013 white Civic Si

mods don't make you a faster driver, just in a faster car. The fastest drivers can drive anything and do very well. Each event, I beat cars that I have no business beating. I think success is 90% driver and 10% car.

Stay in the stock class and gain experience. Once you are being held back by the car, then upgrade only what you really need. When? You'll know when! Also, get in with other FWD drivers and pick their brains. One of my clubs allows riders during events. Its a fantastic way to gain experience quickly by watching other people's lines. Also have good drivers ride with you and they'll tell you what you re doing wrong.

mods don't make you a faster driver, just in a faster car. The fastest drivers can drive anything and do very well. Each event, I beat cars that I have no business beating. I think success is 90% driver and 10% car.

Stay in the stock class and gain experience. Once you are being held back by the car, then upgrade only what you really need. When? You'll know when! Also, get in with other FWD drivers and pick their brains. One of my clubs allows riders during events. Its a fantastic way to gain experience quickly by watching other people's lines. Also have good drivers ride with you and they'll tell you what you re doing wrong.

This Sunday I'll be running RTF G Stock. But I at least want to do an intake and some suspension bits in the future so I don't want to stay in stock class and hence STX. Never got the point in running stock class without r comps because there will be at least one guy that has that significant advantage running r comps.and I would rather do some mod to the car that I want for daily driving, but of course no stupid mods. Ran my miata that was pretty much stock in CSP because of a header :)

This Sunday I'll be running RTF G Stock. But I at least want to do an intake and some suspension bits in the future so I don't want to stay in stock class and hence STX. Never got the point in running stock class without r comps because there will be at least one guy that has that significant advantage running r comps.and I would rather do some mod to the car that I want for daily driving, but of course no stupid mods. Ran my miata that was pretty much stock in CSP because of a header :)
Let me clarify two different classes:
  • "Stock" classes are r-comp classes
  • "Street Tire" classes are 140+ treadwear tires and are also paxed for your class. I'm not sure what can run in Street Tire classes, but I know in one of my local clubs, I compete directly against a stg 2 Evo 9 (ASP), Mazda3 (G Stock), '08 Si (G stock) and a '07 STI (B Stock). My '11 WRX has a D Stock pax. We all finish within a fraction of a second of each other

Let me clarify two different classes:
  • "Stock" classes are r-comp classes
  • "Street Tire" classes are 140+ treadwear tires and are also paxed for your class. I'm not sure what can run in Street Tire classes, but I know in one of my local clubs, I compete directly against a stg 2 Evo 9 (ASP), Mazda3 (G Stock), '08 Si (G stock) and a '07 STI (B Stock). My '11 WRX has a D Stock pax. We all finish within a fraction of a second of each other

Hmm this new RT class is confusing me a bit, my 2 previous cars ran in CSP and STR so i am familiar with the general classes and modifications per early 2012 rules:

I don't want to run G stock because i don't want to buy R-Comps
I don't want to run RTF G stock, because i want to put an intake on (and maybe wider wheels, exhaust, suspension beyond 1 sway bar)
does that leave me in pretty much STX? or is there such a thing as RTF STX?

if there is the difference would be that in STX i would be competing with the STX guys and in RTF STX i would be competing with ALL RTF classes?

see what happens when you cant autocross for a year?!

Hmm this new RT class is confusing me a bit, my 2 previous cars ran in CSP and STR so i am familiar with the general classes and modifications per early 2012 rules:

I don't want to run G stock because i don't want to buy R-Comps
I don't want to run RTF G stock, because i want to put an intake on (and maybe wider wheels, exhaust, suspension beyond 1 sway bar)
does that leave me in pretty much STX? or is there such a thing as RTF STX?

if there is the difference would be that in STX i would be competing with the STX guys and in RTF STX i would be competing with ALL RTF classes?

see what happens when you cant autocross for a year?!
I think I said something that wasn't accurate for SCCA classes. My local club runs "Street tire" which allows all sorts of classes but only with street tires. SCCA uses "Road Tire" which is a stock class only (AS, BS, CS, DS, etc.). You'll need to verify with your local clubs on what they allow.

Nice car! The "Scan Gauge" is neat I am a sucker for stuff like that. I am looking to get back into AutoX also with my new Si sedan. Hope you enjoy the car!

Last edited:
I think I said something that wasn't accurate for SCCA classes. My local club runs "Street tire" which allows all sorts of classes but only with street tires. SCCA uses "Road Tire" which is a stock class only (AS, BS, CS, DS, etc.). You'll need to verify with your local clubs on what they allow.

After my first event I am probably going to stick with rtf gs like u suggested. And work myself into STX over the next couple of years.

And like your club my local club use to do pax only before the rt classes came out. The rt classes just replaced what we were already doing.

After my first event I am probably going to stick with rtf gs like u suggested. And work myself into STX over the next couple of years.

And like your club my local club use to do pax only before the rt classes came out. The rt classes just replaced what we were already doing.

I was having the same debate as you GS Vs. STX. Like you I want to mod my car. I decided to stick with GS. Was doing some reading from other forums etc. and the gist of things I get is that the Civic Si is not extremely competitive in STX unless driven well.

I was having the same debate as you GS Vs. STX. Like you I want to mod my car. I decided to stick with GS. Was doing some reading from other forums etc. and the gist of things I get is that the Civic Si is not extremely competitive in STX unless driven well.

I mean u may be able to out drive some STX guys if u are a much better driver. But in my club there are at least 2 drivers that are modded up to the limit of the class and are much better drivers than I am.

Rtf gs seems to be a better for for my local event. Last week I got 3rd out of 6 cars. And I definitely had more in the car. need some alignment, time to figure out the tire pressures and time to figure out fwd driving

I mean u may be able to out drive some STX guys if u are a much better driver. But in my club there are at least 2 drivers that are modded up to the limit of the class and are much better drivers than I am.

Rtf gs seems to be a better for for my local event. Last week I got 3rd out of 6 cars. And I definitely had more in the car. need some alignment, time to figure out the tire pressures and time to figure out fwd driving

Congrats on 3rd. Financially for me GS is better. I would like to do HFP suspension, which would put me in STX. I am just not wanting to do other things like a tune, way oversized tires. I am thinking I would have to do some serious mods to back up being in STX.

For me giving up STX is giving up intake and suspension. I can live without those items.

Ran my 2nd event in the Si today, got an alignment done and zero'd out to toe in the back (from factory it had some toe), running 40 psi front and 38 psi rear, really able to get the rear loose and rotate it better. the car felt much better or maybe it is just me getting use to the car. Did 57/95 in raw time and 37/95 in Pax so i am happy and hope to have some room for improvement. i feel like most of the improvements are just me getting more comfortable with the car and not too scared of throwing it hard into a corner, unfortunately there are only 2 events left!

other non autox related events:
1. lack out the honda badges
2. installed Injen axle back - not sure if i like the drone
3. Tire chunk on Hwy hit the front bumper - i can say that the spray on car bra definitely did help minimize the scratches.
4. Filled in quarter panel scratch (walmart parking lot the first day of ownership) using duplicolor's tafetta white pen system. the bumper and body panel colors are off and the paint matches the plastic bumpers but not the body. The bumper soft of has a blue-ish hue to it.
5. Digging DDing it a lot

Ran my 2nd event in the Si today, got an alignment done and zero'd out to toe in the back (from factory it had some toe), running 40 psi front and 38 psi rear, really able to get the rear loose and rotate it better. the car felt much better or maybe it is just me getting use to the car. Did 57/95 in raw time and 37/95 in Pax so i am happy and hope to have some room for improvement. i feel like most of the improvements are just me getting more comfortable with the car and not too scared of throwing it hard into a corner, unfortunately there are only 2 events left!

other non autox related events:
1. lack out the honda badges
2. installed Injen axle back - not sure if i like the drone
3. Tire chunk on Hwy hit the front bumper - i can say that the spray on car bra definitely did help minimize the scratches.
4. Filled in quarter panel scratch (walmart parking lot the first day of ownership) using duplicolor's tafetta white pen system. the bumper and body panel colors are off and the paint matches the plastic bumpers but not the body. The bumper soft of has a blue-ish hue to it.
5. Digging DDing it a lot

Awesome - I will have to try those tire pressures when I go autoX at the end of this month. I am guessing you are running STX now since you changed the intake out? I changed mine over also to the Tekeda. I said I was going to stay G-Stock.. but I am a newb at AutoX, and its not like I am going to be competitive in either class. I can always make it back G-Stock fairly easy if need be.

Not sure if you are into/or have the means to do so, but I have been using Race 07 Game/Sim and some AutoX courses to practice. I have a realllllll bad time with getting lost on course, and DNF'ing my runs due to missing a gate or whole section of course. I am hoping the Sim will help me with looking ahead.

Glad you are making some improvements on and off course!

Awesome - I will have to try those tire pressures when I go autoX at the end of this month. I am guessing you are running STX now since you changed the intake out? I changed mine over also to the Tekeda. I said I was going to stay G-Stock.. but I am a newb at AutoX, and its not like I am going to be competitive in either class. I can always make it back G-Stock fairly easy if need be.

Not sure if you are into/or have the means to do so, but I have been using Race 07 Game/Sim and some AutoX courses to practice. I have a realllllll bad time with getting lost on course, and DNF'ing my runs due to missing a gate or whole section of course. I am hoping the Sim will help me with looking ahead.

Glad you are making some improvements on and off course!

Running rtf g stock. No intake just axle back exhaust and rear sway bar with decent tires.

Our local events have a good course to work with and is not too confusing. I do need to look ahead more. Definetily got rusty not autoxing last year

Running rtf g stock. No intake just axle back exhaust and rear sway bar with decent tires.

Our local events have a good course to work with and is not too confusing. I do need to look ahead more. Definetily got rusty not autoxing last year

Ah Injen Exhaust. I read that line to fast, and thought intake. I have not AutoX'd since 2007, and never was good then because I always copped out and went to a track day. I am virtually starting from scratch..

Another autox event this past Sunday. Really enjoying learning fwd driving and getting more comfortable with the car.

null_zpsf5e2c25a.jpg

Blacked out the front and rear chrome.

Ran the last Autocross event of the year last sunday. I felt extra competitive this last event because a bet with a buddy in his new car. ended up PAXing 25/124 and raw time of 52/124. Now i get a free lunch and ended the season with a good note.

Definitely getting used to FWD driving, still have some habits left over from earlier years of autocrossing a RWD. For me the car is VERY forgiving and make it so i push it harder.

I want to stick with this class for next year, so unfortunately there will be no mods (other than maybe break pads and see if i can trim some weight off with a lightweight battery) for next year.

had some fun last weekend, i had a full car on this run.

didnt drive as well as i wanted to so i am eager for the next event

Ended up trading the car in for a new sti. The civic was a great car and gave me a lot of respect for fwd. Ready to learn awd this coming up year!
20141122_160713_zps4c4a52cb.jpg

Back