Octane 87 and the SI

RightNow800

Anyone here fills up with regular gas?

As frowned upon as this may be on the forums here, I would still like to know if any SI owner does this.

It will run by pulling timing to avoid knocking. It will reduce horsepower and torque when it happens. Will it run,... yes. Is it supposed to run on 87,...no. In addition to power being lost, you'll also hurt fuel economy by running 87. The $2-3 dollars a fill up for premium makes up for difference.

Reactions: Nix
Hell, I run premium in my '15 ex. I was paying so much for regular in ny, when I moved to colorado it was still cheaper and it keeps my mpg up compared to the regular they put in the car when I bought it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hell, I run premium in my '15 ex. I was paying so much for regular in ny, when I moved to colorado it was still cheaper and it keeps my mpg up compared to the regular they put in the car when I bought it.

there is zero benefit to putting higher octane in an engine that isnt designed to make use of it

That may be what a book says, but seeing is believing...That's the only reason I continue to do it. I suppose the argument could be made that different people have different experiences. Or that the quality of the gas I had before was poor, I dunno, just doing what works for me.

That may be what a book says, but seeing is believing...That's the only reason I continue to do it. I suppose the argument could be made that different people have different experiences. Or that the quality of the gas I had before was poor, I dunno, just doing what works for me.

well look at it this way, even IF you're getting more miles per gallon on premium, you're paying more per gallon at the pump!

not tryin to be a jerk I just dont want you to waste money. you likely work hard for it

It will run by pulling timing to avoid knocking. It will reduce horsepower and torque when it happens. Will it run,... yes. Is it supposed to run on 87,...no. In addition to power being lost, you'll also hurt fuel economy by running 87. The $2-3 dollars a fill up for premium makes up for difference.
That explains some things. By using premium again, it will put timing back as well as the HP and torque?

That explains some things. By using premium again, it will put timing back as well as the HP and torque?
Yes. The ecu adjust things automatically. If you run premium you'll get the hp/tq and fuel economy back.

Back