Official Ask a Photographer thread!

Thanks. I'll check out the Tamron/Tokina. I don't think I'll want to spend that much on a Canon Fish Eye lens. :giggle:

do you want the fisheye for the effect or the wide viewing angle

So right now I have a Nikon D3200 but im looking to get into "professional" car photography meaning doing still scenic shots or possibly some rolling shots for private parties. Looking to basically upgrade my DSLR in the $2,000≥ range. Whats a good body and some good lenses? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much

honestly unless something on the d2300 is holding you back and moving up to more expensive body will fix it, take the money you would spend on the new body and buy more and better lenses instead

Kai is a funny individual.

That kid was hilarious! I never could figure his accent and what country he was in.
My guess he's from the Liverpool area, where he was shooting from, clueless...... He lives in HK

Last edited:
the only real problem i have with the Nikon D3200 im using now is the iso. Night time shots turn out pretty grainy. Also does anyone have a good Nikon wide angle lens they could reference me to for car shows and whole car shots? Reasonably priced...haha

for night shots you should be using a tripod and a low iso with a longer exposure. The only time i use a high iso is when im shooting a hockey game or other sporting event and need to freeze action. You can also make use of some color based noise reduction to soften the pixel to pixel variation in post if its bad. Even my 7d has noise when i start pixel peeping at high iso.

As far as wide angle lenses, i can never keep straight which nikon lenses have the motor in the lens or which have the motor in the camera, I believe the 3200 uses a focus motor in the lens. I would suggest looking at the off brand ultra wide angle lenses if price is a concern, i use a $500 Tokina 12-24 instead of a significantly more expensive canon fisheye

@dentrecords shoots nikon and would have better lens suggestions from the nikon lineup

For a D3200 you'll be looking at a lens with the AF-S designation (internal focus motor within the lens). The Nikon 10-24 would be my recommendation, but you're not going to get one particularly cheaply. You won't regret spending the money though.. the angle of view you can get will really make you a believer in that particular focal length. You're also compatible with any future DX camera you buy to replace the D3200... so I'd invest in a nice set of lenses first, then change out the body if the ISO performance is really your thing. Of course you can always pony up for an FX body for the best low light performance, but you'll need to get matching FX lenses and double or triple your cost accordingly. Equipment can be helpful but it's most important to have fun with it.

the only real problem i have with the Nikon D3200 im using now is the iso. Night time shots turn out pretty grainy. Also does anyone have a good Nikon wide angle lens they could reference me to for car shows and whole car shots? Reasonably priced...haha
There's also lots of U-Tube vid's on your/my cameras, I spend a lot of time watching those, and practicing what they show me, not that I can advise anyone, I've still got a long way to go, but the nice thing about digital cameras is you can take multi shots, look/erase.....

Photo editing software question:

I've been researching different software options and was wondering if any of you have a favorite. I currently have Photoshop and Lightroom with a Creative Cloud subscription, but also own DxO 11. However, I've been looking at some other options like Topaz and Capture One. Not sure if either would be a good investment, one being USD $300 and the other USD $500. Have any of you used either of these programs? If so, can you compare them to Adobe or DxO products.

I had capture one way back in 05/06ish it was fantastic for large volume like if youre shooting sports, then it went kinda lightroom style controls and got rid of the keyboard shortcuts that made batch processing easy.

Photo editing software question:

I've been researching different software options and was wondering if any of you have a favorite. I currently have Photoshop and Lightroom with a Creative Cloud subscription, but also own DxO 11. However, I've been looking at some other options like Topaz and Capture One. Not sure if either would be a good investment, one being USD $300 and the other USD $500. Have any of you used either of these programs? If so, can you compare them to Adobe or DxO products.
I'm still on photoshop cs6. Add Google nik plugins and it's all you'll ever need.

Back