One side of HID not working correctly

tybfly

I've just installed a Morimoto HID system (http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=3957) and the passenger's side doesn't want to work correctly. It would only sometime turn on when I flip the headlight switch. The driver's side is working fine. I've tried switching the bulbs over with each other and the same thing happens.

This kit came with 2 ground wires, one for each side. On the driver's side, I used the negative on the battery as the ground. On the passenger's side though, I used the attached image as my ground. It's not connected directly to the chassis, but on a metal piece. If you have a 2013 Si, you would know what I'm talking about. Could it be the reason that the passenger's side is acting up because that ground is improper?

This kit is also weird because the bulb comes with 4 wires extending out of it. I know that 2 of them goes into the ballast, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to do with them so I just taped it up. The picture attached is what I'm talking about. Am I supposed to do something with those wires? The rest of the wires I'm pretty sure I wired correctly.

I was too lazy to switch the ballast with each other so I don't know if that's the problem yet.

Untitled.png

85453411.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same morimoto kit from TRS and isn't that supposed to be the signal wire going to the relay?
and I would try switching ballasts as well

#2 should be going to the ballast....and #1 should be going into the relay harness if I'm seeing it right.

Reactions: 323
Yes. That. If you ordered the correct kit and are using the relay harness everything will line up and be used.

I think you're on the right track - try switching ballasts. As for those wires...I just cut them off. Just make sure you cut the joined together ones.
Yeah I'll be switching the ballasts tonight once I get home.
Yes. That. If you ordered the correct kit and are using the relay harness everything will line up and be used.
The kit I ordered is the one I posted above. Shouldn't that be the right one? I did use the relay harness (you kind of have to since it's integrated into the wiring) and I have those wires left coming out from the bulb. The main wire harness has no leftover wires. Every wire is used except for passenger side's existing female connector that plugged into the old halogen bulb, since I used the driver's side to hook into the main HID harness. I know it sounds kind of confusing but I don't really know how to describe it lol.

the extra wires are useful for putting your ballast somewhere that isnt right underneath your headlight, its just a little extension cord, if you dont use it you dont even need to tape them up.

i would try changing your ground, if possible you want the ground to be touching bare metal, not paint, Ive seen a decent number of people use a painted surface and end up with a bad ground. I dont have a service manual for the 9th gen, but somewhere nearby there should be a common ground point, it will be easy to spot because it will have a stack of ring connectors and black wires coming off them in every direction.

Reactions: Nix
So I switched the ballasts to opposite sides last night and everything seems to be working fine now. Lets hope it stays like that lol.

So it's not the ballast. I switched the ballast around and it's still the same side that's not working. I'll do a better ground next. I'll sand down a place and go to Lowes and find a bolt that'll fit into one of the existing holes.

on the passenger side I used one of the bolts underneath the compressor

Get the harness mine did the same thing only one side turns on and once I got a harness from a website webby gave me I forget where it works properly ever since the change

Reactions: 323
I'm mechanically declined lol. Can you give me a picture of what you're talking about?
Sorry I never uploaded this
Hope it's clear enough
agyzuvyb.jpg

The arrow is pointing to the ground wire, the circle is the bolt

Back