Opinions on Takeda Momentum intake and stock exhaust

PRGR19

Sac
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
sedan
I am a new Si owner and am considering getting a Takeda Momentum CAI and just keeping my stock exhaust. Does anyone have this setup and can you guys share your input on power gains out of the box and then power gains after flashpro tuning? Also, how much improvement (in MPG) do you guys get in fuel economy? Do you guys think this is a decent setup for someone who really doesn't want to get a loud exhaust?

I'm not sure i should go with this setup because i've heard people say they have lost power. i do not want to lose power. I want to add 10hp if possible. thanks for your future input.

Last edited:
I am a new Si owner and am considering getting a Takeda Momentum CAI and just keeping my stock exhaust. Does anyone have this setup and can you guys share your input on power gains out of the box and then power gains after flashpro tuning? Also, how much improvement (in MPG) do you guys get in fuel economy?

I'm not sure i should go with this setup if it doesn't add 10 hp to my car. Thanks for your future input.

You may get better throttle response out of it at best...at worst, you will lose power over the stock setup. Doesn't matter if you have FlashPro or not.

If you want an intake that will gain power, you will need to get a 3.5" CAI. Either PRL or Rick Spec'd. You cannot run them without FlashPro and a tune though.

Best bang for your buck power mod for this car is a 3" downpipe. FlashPro required as well.

You may get better throttle response out of it at best...at worst, you will lose power over the stock setup. Doesn't matter if you have FlashPro or not.

If you want an intake that will gain power, you will need to get a 3.5" CAI. Either PRL or Rick Spec'd. You cannot run them without FlashPro and a tune though.

Best bang for your buck power mod for this car is a 3" downpipe. FlashPro required as well.
Thanks for the info. it's kinda frustrating to hear, but i'll take your word for it. I just wanted something easy to install without having to take the bumper off and relocating the battery.

Thanks for the info. it's kinda frustrating to hear, but i'll take your word for it. I just wanted something easy to install without having to take the bumper off and relocating the battery.

No problem. Vitviper has done a bunch of comparisons to come to this conclusion. He is a tuner and has tuned hundreds of 9th gens.

Bumper is actually fairly easy to take off. Make it a worth your while and replace the wimpy factory horns and do a retrofit or some Spec D headlights at the same time! I would suggest doing a battery relocate (or downpipe) soon if you want the remove some of the bolts easily since your car is still new.

great suggestion. So do you suggest getting a Flashpro even though my car is still stock?

i haven't seen any spec d headlights on any civics as of yet. what horn do you suggest?

great suggestion. So do you suggest getting a Flashpro even though my car is still stock?

i haven't seen any spec d headlights on any civics as of yet. what horn do you suggest?

A lot of people have been very happy with a tune even with a stock car.

A lot of people have used the Accord horns. I got something off of Amazon.

@323 has the SpecD on his car as well as a few others. Check out his build thread.

I am a new Si owner and am considering getting a Takeda Momentum CAI and just keeping my stock exhaust. Does anyone have this setup and can you guys share your input on power gains out of the box and then power gains after flashpro tuning? Also, how much improvement (in MPG) do you guys get in fuel economy? Do you guys think this is a decent setup for someone who really doesn't want to get a loud exhaust?

I'm not sure i should go with this setup because i've heard people say they have lost power. i do not want to lose power. I want to add 10hp if possible. thanks for your future input.
Hi PRG.. just my 2 cents. I've had the takeda intake on my 2010 si and I have 1 now on my 2012 si. I had the intake for less than a month on my 2010 with no tune but liked it and even though I'm no garage or tuner expert. I'd like to say I know my car and feel a difference when it's there. As for my 2012 I liked it at the beginning and felt a difference but once I got flashpro and I'm in the process of being tuned by vit... I love it even more! I was surprised to hear the difference the cars exhaust made once the tuning started... BiG Yum! The car is like a new car all over again... but (in Schwarzeneggers voice) More power! I have the afe intake plus the afe throttle body spacer so far.. he he plus tuning by Vit in progress. Not to knock anyone or anything said just my 2 cents and wanted to say because I saw you talking about what I'm using. Have a good rest of your day and keep me posted on what you do... curious... if you want and don't mind.

Hi PRG.. just my 2 cents. I've had the takeda intake on my 2010 si and I have 1 now on my 2012 si. I had the intake for less than a month on my 2010 with no tune but liked it and even though I'm no garage or tuner expert. I'd like to say I know my car and feel a difference when it's there. As for my 2012 I liked it at the beginning and felt a difference but once I got flashpro and I'm in the process of being tuned by vit... I love it even more! I was surprised to hear the difference the cars exhaust made once the tuning started... BiG Yum! The car is like a new car all over again... but (in Schwarzeneggers voice) More power! I have the afe intake plus the afe throttle body spacer so far.. he he plus tuning by Vit in progress. Not to knock anyone or anything said just my 2 cents and wanted to say because I saw you talking about what I'm using. Have a good rest of your day and keep me posted on what you do... curious... if you want and don't mind.
thanks for your input. If you're not a tuner expert, i'm definitely 5 notches below that. Haha.

Now i am definitely going to get a flashpro so i can get vittuned. I want to do as many bolt on stuff as reasonably possible, but am still going to avoid getting an exhaust. Do you have a stock or aftermarket exhaust? Also, what does the throttle body spacer do?

Thanks in advance for the future info.

thanks for your input. If you're not a tuner expert, i'm definitely 5 notches below that. Haha.

Now i am definitely going to get a flashpro so i can get vittuned. I want to do as many bolt on stuff as reasonably possible, but am still going to avoid getting an exhaust. Do you have a stock or aftermarket exhaust? Also, what does the throttle body spacer do?

Thanks in advance for the future info.
I have a stock exhaust for now... he he but i'll tell you this it will really be hard to change it because it really sounds even nicer since the tune.. which is still in progress. I would love if mugen would put out a 3inch exhaust but nothing left even though I'm pretty sure which 1 I'm going to go with unless things change from now until that point. You'll see when you get this going... it's a fun process.. for me anyway.
A throttle body spacer is usually a 1-inch (25 mm) thick piece of metal that is bolted to the inlet of the throttle body downstream of air flow into the manifold. By changing the airflow, this after-market add-on does claim to be a performance enhancing accessory that can increase an engine's horse power, torque and fuel economy. It functions by swirling or directing the air flow to maximize air volume to the manifold. There is much debate about the veracity of the manufacturers claims for these devices. The general consensus is that it works well on some engine configurations, and not at all, or adversely on others. I'm enjoying both so far and I hope you will to with whatever you get. Keep in touch and i'll try and be as helpful and occasionally funny as possible. have a good rest of the night if I don't talk to you... by the way Vit also has tuning and flashpro packages... enjoy

You give really great advice, not to mention that we have similarities in the way we want to set up our cars.

Is it easy to install the throttle body spacer? And did any of your installs bring up any error codes?

You give really great advice, not to mention that we have similarities in the way we want to set up our cars.

Is it easy to install the throttle body spacer? And did any of your installs bring up any error codes?
well give me a like then dammit... he he I really appreciate and thank you kindly for the compliment. I didn't install it but had it done at my friends shop and watched. They installed the intake and the tbs together. If you know what you're doing and have tools it's not too long. So if you have someone install let me know how much time they quote you. No error codes at all... it worked out perfectly. I would like to believe I have a pretty ridiculous imagination so ask me any opinion to help set up your ride. I'd be glad and honoured to be of help. Enjoy your day.

well give me a like then dammit... he he I really appreciate and thank you kindly for the compliment. I didn't install it but had it done at my friends shop and watched. They installed the intake and the tbs together. If you know what you're doing and have tools it's not too long. So if you have someone install let me know how much time they quote you. No error codes at all... it worked out perfectly. I would like to believe I have a pretty ridiculous imagination so ask me any opinion to help set up your ride. I'd be glad and honoured to be of help. Enjoy your day.
I appreciate both you and Miguel for the likes and look forward to more of our conversations and again hopefully being of some help. I can't help but ask PRG.. you mentioned that we seem to have similar builds in mind.. you have me curious. What other things are you thinking of doing to your ride even if it's something far in the future. Miguel if there is anything you would like to add.. I'd like to listen. have a good day guys. speak soon

View: http://youtu.be/qeNfhkuxOI0

No intake is going to improve the performance of your engine over the stock air box unless you also replace the intake manifold and throttle body. And you have to tune it, the stock map won't accommodate the increase airflow. Then you will probably have to look at injectors if you now have so much air flow that you can't inject enough fuel.

Then let's not forget about the majorly restrictive downpipe and catalytic converter.

My point is a modern engine is a system. Designed by engineers trying to balance power output and gas mileage. In order to improve the power output you will have to upgrade the entire system. And then you will sacrifice some gas mileage. If all you're doing is buying a cold air intake or short ram and enjoying the sound then you are throwing away your money. Well, that's If your going for power output (not just peak power).

Back