Paint chipped on the bumper...

jdm_aamer

Chicago, Illinois
Vehicle Model
Civic EX
Body Style
sedan
Hi, I have a DBP 14' Civic EX and I noticed some paint chipped on the front bumper. I looked up articles and watched videos on how to do a touch up but its my first time. In a lot of videos they use different tools. I was just wondering what tools do I need? I know I can get the oem paint from honda or even online, but I would like to know how long it takes to do a touch up, what steps I should take during the touch up, and what not to do during a touch up.
Thanks, in advance and I appreciate your help :)

The bumper is ABS so you wouldn't have to worry about rust.

How big is the paint chip? Do you have a picture?

Very complete video. Thanks Monk!

Unless you do multiple steps I find it won't ever be perfect as the touchup paint will usually be below the level of the other paint surrounding it. What it will do is hide the missing paint and fill the color void so it's much less noticeable. So don't be too disappoined even if you do a great job and can still see it if you look at it up close. I prefer the touchup to be below the other paint rather than a raised dot you can see.

I usually try to get a small drop of touch up paint on the end of a tooth pick and try to "flow" the paint into the chip. It's pretty tricky on a vertical surface. I usually clean the area with rubbing alcohol, then similar to the wax trick in the video I try to corral the chip with vaseline and create a wall around it, flow a small amount of paint into it, wait for it to sort of set and add another small drip if needed. No sanding, no polishing. I'm not super good at it but I can usually get it to be much less visible.

The Dr.Colorchip sets are pretty decent at hiding chips. They don't fill the chip as much as hide the underlying color so you don't see it.

I'm sure Rasky might have more/better tricks and tips than I do.

How big is the paint chip? Do you have a picture?
a8umumup.jpg

Back