Performance Upgrades for 2012 Civic LX Sedan MT

PatrickV

So, I just bought a 2012 Civic LX Sedan. I like the car. But I am transitioning from a 1997 Acura Integra GS-R. We went with this vehicle for price, fuel efficiency, and the ability to lug around the kids. The loss of performance is getting to me though. Where can I go to read up on performance upgrades for this vehicle? I'm mostly concerned with low-cost, high-impact changes that can be made without sacrificing too much on the fuel efficiency (and yes, I expect the answer to be that's not possible, but you never know).

welcome to the site, and congrats on the purchase. Being that the car is so new, there aren't really any options for the LX at the moment. There are a few who are using a cold air intake from the 8th generation civic (injen intake for the r18 engine) that seem to be ok. It's not officially made for the 2012 yet, but injen has said they're working on the intakes. The SI model is the main focus for the aftermarket community initially. A few companies have springs available for the SI, a few exhausts are in production, etc. A turbo setup for the SI was mocked up for the SEMA show, but it's not available yet. An ecu reflash was just released from hondata for the SI models... we're just in the early stages of things.

You should be able to get intakes/exhausts once things are more available for the SI. There were turbo kits for the 8th generation r18 engine, but it took a little time.

any pics of your car?

No pics yet. I am still a little underwhelmed at performance, but my wallet sure is happy. It's a lot more car than I expected considering what we paid. I'm sure once I get a good stereo in it, some non-stock wheels, and get used to the cabin, I will love it.

LX? I'm right here with you, Patrick. I agree, though, about the bang for your buck, and my problem with performance is mainly acceleration and the body-roll when you take a turn a little too fast;). If I could find a compatible suspension upgrade, I'd be all over it! as for the no-stick tires, I might save that upgrade till later...the traction control system in these new civics is surprisingly unnoticeable, along with being damn effective!!!!

get a rear sway bar to help with the body roll...I just ordered one for my Si, Eibach, for $108 from pro civic. I thought I read that if you use the Si hardware you can use it on other models but don't quote me on that.

Welcome to the forum! I'm new here, too, and I'm in the same boat with the LX.

Like everyone else said, there's not much out yet in terms of performance upgrades. On mines, all I have so far is a K&N drop-in filter and an axleback exhaust from the 8th gen Si. The hp gains are probably minimal, but it sure sounds a lot better with the Si axleback, and it's more fun to drive when you can actually hear the motor. It hasn't affected mileage as far as I can tell, if anything I've seen a slight increase in mpg. I've been meaning to lower it with the sportlines I kept from my 8th, but I'll probably wait til I have some better wheels and tires.

I have an LX cannot complain about performance :flame: but that might be because my R18 technically does not classify under R18 more like a R19 currently. eventually going trying out 2.0, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6 Thanks to Golden Eagle !:dog:

Progress 22mm rear sway bar($165). If you order from Corsport they will send you all the parts you need to make it fit on your r18. Pull your intake resonator(free) and throw in a k&n filter($50) to start. The car will feel much much better.

Oh, if you want a little more power get some type of sri/cai system and run the p2r throttle body spacer. It'll add a little bit. Im still trying to figure out a silicone hose to use the stock airbox with the tbs.

Progress 22mm rear sway bar($165). If you order from Corsport they will send you all the parts you need to make it fit on your r18. Pull your intake resonator(free) and throw in a k&n filter($50) to start. The car will feel much much better.

does the r18 sound any different when you pull the resonator?

Yeah a little. It's definitely not as loud as running an SRI setup. Mostly if you are going up a slight incline or thinking about downshifting, you will hear the engine growl as it sucks in more air. Basically you only hear it under load. At least that's what I notice now. I think at first I heard it more but then got used to it. The feel of the car, throttle response, improved more than anything and since it's free it's not bad to try out until you decide what you want to do next.

Some people run some of the extra piping towards the front fog light opening for a ram air effect, I found the end of the pipe coming down from the airbox to be in a nicely shielded location so I left it.

Ahh.. anyone have the K&N sri with the throttle body spacer

Thanks!!!! Be sure to facebook FindingReason!!! I'm the lead vocaist/trumpet player..any one from Houston...we will be on 94.5 aug.5th. And will be playing@ scout bar that night @10!!! Come hang out early on with our si's...then I ll go up and Rock the Heekek out!!!

intake resonator maybe? If that's what "resn" stands for :think:

Back