Phone Controls on 2013 Civic with Kenwood DNX692

Aparajith

Hi guys,

I got a Kenwood DNX692 installed on my Civic with the ADR Maestro interface for steering wheel controls. This audio system was working fine on my other car - a Tucson and Siri, steering wheel phone controls to attend a call, disconnect a call were working fine. However on the Civic, although music volume and song controls(previous/next) work fine from the steering, the phone control or the Siri control does not work. I am not sure how to get this working. If I get a call, I have to attend it on the Kenwood touchscreen and not from he steering. Anybody has any idea? Has anyone else done this? If so what is the wiring change required?

the civic bluetooth unit is located outside the stock radio. Honda calls it the HFT Unit. I see the headunit you purchased has it's own bluetooth. Did you install a mic for it and whatnot?

@ethlar may be able to give you some input on the wiring side of things. He talked about this situation before -

ethlar said:
you might be able to cheat, since the Metra and the equivalent PAC look for variances in voltage or resistance on the input wire. If you find the two wires associated with the bluetooth buttons, ground the appropriate wire and connect it to the input wire on the ASWC along with the normal audio control input, the ASWC should be able to differentiate the additional buttons. You would have to also have a head unit that supports the additional bluetooth functionality, so you would be bypassing the honda HFT module in favor of the aftermarket head unit

This is all theory, i have not seen a 9th gen wiring diagram to have any idea if this is possible

ethlar said:
Im basing my theory on the fact that the PAC claims to be able to do it on the 8th gen, just by putting the two + wires from the bluetooth and the audio controls into the input and grounding the other end, if the PAC can differentiate the signals, i dont see why the ASWC cant do the same, it just might need to be manually programmed

ethlar said:
PAC says it can do both on the 9th gen by exactly my theoretical method
edit - link now dead on pac-audio website....

yeah, I did... I installed the mic etc for the Kenwood. I do see the Honda broadcasting the Bluetooth and its frankly irritating! It always conflicts on both our phones. So I need to use Honda's own bluetooth for calls and the music player only for music? Frankly I would;d be happy to remove the Honda system entirely and just use the Kenwood

i think since the honda hft is integrated into the iMid even with the stereo swapped the hft is present. I dont have a car with a iMid to check out but there is usually a way to turn off the hft bluetooth in the car. At that point you should still be able to redirect the bluetooth related wires to your steering wheel interface to route to your headunit

I guess even if you cant deactivate the hft you could reroute the wires for the bluetooth switches, but you would want to make sure that they are separate from the iMid controls otherwise you would lose the ability to interact with the iMid at all

Yeah, I do agree with what you say. The imid is tightly integrated with the car and works in conjunction with my kenwood giving rise to some cool gimmicks as below:
1dceec3aa4f5ce0f8b79e05dc37b3dc9.jpg

fba6e98d64153f33d9b3ba96ef079c3d.jpg

Let me call Honda and crutchfield and see if they can help me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ok guys, I just got off the phone with Crutchfield and iDatalink. There is a way to do it, if you use the iDataLink Maestro unit. This needs to be the 512 model. A 256 model will not work. I am guessing this refers to the number of bits supported. Anyway, its detailed in the pic here:
screen-shot-2019-04-24-at-12-41-25-png.59061

The factory bluetooth module in the Civic resides above the glove compartment. You need to splice the orange wire with red stripe of the Maestro into the blue wire of the Factory B/T adapter. The instructions can be obtained from he iDataLink manual as well(attached here). check the section for Honda Civic Without AMP Not Retaining OEM Bluetooth (2012-2013) - Retains factory amplifier, steering wheel controls, and more!

Attachments

• ADS-RR(SR)-HON02-DS-IG-EN_20181101.pdf
    2.5 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 12.41.25.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-24 at 12.41.25.png
    246.6 KB · Views: 208
Sure... I have learnt so much from the community. If I can provide some info, I am happy!

Thanks for this thread. I have to postpone my planned head unit replacement for my civic 2013 due to the bluetooth concerns brought up in this thread.
I am presently in the process of replacing my civic 2013 non-premium headunit with a sony ax-5000 (carplay/androidauto) but was just a little concern regarding retaining the steering wheel audio controls.

I was a bit confident of pulling this through since I just completed two(2) head unit replacements and learn some lessons along the way:
1) 08 Honda element - replaced head unit with JVC KW-NT810HDT(nav unit) - had a problem with the steering control using the maestro ads-msw (it seems this unit is non maestro compatible). bought another axxess aswc-1 and it worked with this unit.

2) 08 Honda civic ex (navi unit/defective) - replaced head unit with JVC KW-M750BT (carplay/maestro compatible) - the previous maestro ads-msw steering control worked for this unit

I just ordered another axxess aswc-1 for my civic2013 head unit install but cancelled it once i read this thread. It seems that steering wheel control is only one of my concerns regarding the planned head unit replacement. So i need to consider the HFT or the bluetooth system as well - So planning to buy the complete maestro controls and will update this thread with the outcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0427.JPG
    IMG_0427.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0429.JPG
    IMG_0429.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 31
I just removed the cable from the bluetooth control module and connect terminal 15 to my headunit - sony

the civic bluetooth unit is located outside the stock radio. Honda calls it the HFT Unit. I see the headunit you purchased has it's own bluetooth. Did you install a mic for it and whatnot?

@ethlar may be able to give you some input on the wiring side of things. He talked about this situation before -
---
i just did my civic 2013 headunit replacement - i was not able to successfully connect the volume, track forward steering buttons to the new headunit. But i was able to successfully connect the Hands free buttons -i have the accept call, end call and voice command steering wheel buttons to work. but will get back to check on the volume controls next time

---
i just did my civic 2013 headunit replacement - i was not able to successfully connect the volume, track forward steering buttons to the new headunit. But i was able to successfully connect the Hands free buttons -i have the accept call, end call and voice command steering wheel buttons to work. but will get back to check on the volume controls next time
https://www.carid.com/2012-honda-ci...eering-wheel-control-interface-316790526.html
this is commonly used for steering wheel controls

yeah, I did... I installed the mic etc for the Kenwood. I do see the Honda broadcasting the Bluetooth and its frankly irritating! It always conflicts on both our phones. So I need to use Honda's own bluetooth for calls and the music player only for music? Frankly I would;d be happy to remove the Honda system entirely and just use the Kenwood

Did you tuck the mic in the headliner? I was looking for a place to hid my mic so it is just not all out there.

Thanks for the response.

My recent headunit replacement was for my honda 8th gen civic 2008 - i used the idata maestro switch for it and got the steering wheel controls to work (JVC carplay/android auto radio capable).

So for my 2013 honda civic, i purchased the one you just recommended - axxessinterface swc switch since, at the idata maestro sw - the 9th gen civic swc switch is not available in the options.

I set it up and tested the radio (standalone) with the axxessinterface swc with a diy resistor/switch mod (to simulate the switch on the car). However i have problem auto programming the axxess switch. I was able to successfully program it using manual programming.

Once i installed the new radio with the axxess sw, my axxess switch would no longer recognize the radio and auto nor manual programming did not work (axxess will flash four red leds for sony radio). I may need to go back to do the reprogramming next weekend. But my sony radio could recognize analog (resistor based sw) so i was able to connect directly the hands free button switches to it onlyimage (1).png image.png

---
This was my email to metra axxess tech support-
Email.PNG

post back the details on their response as this is news to me

---
I used these:
iDatalink HRN-RR-HO2 Install Harness for select Honda models
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement & SWI

Did you tuck the mic in the headliner? I was looking for a place to hid my mic so it is just not all out there.
No, I have the mic placed outside behind the mirror for better reception. I anyway have the remote for my Compustar there. This is just an additional piece.

post back the details on their response as this is news to me
Sorry. Metra Axxess has not responded yet.
I already proceeded completing the missing other half of my audio steering wheel controls.
Bypassed the CANHiLo signals for the SWC and went directly to the steering wheel resistor/switch terminals at the steering wheel.
All steering wheel works now - Hands free/bluetooth/VoiceSiri buttons and AudioRemote/Volume/source buttons (all analog).
Note that the SWC diy audio plugs have two separate input signals so i used both for each controls

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 55
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
I used these:
iDatalink HRN-RR-HO2 Install Harness for select Honda models
iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Universal Radio Replacement & SWI

No, I have the mic placed outside behind the mirror for better reception. I anyway have the remote for my Compustar there. This is just an additional piece.

------------
It's my car's wife and she doesn't like me running wires all over the place.
So i place the mic just in the front vent; wires tuck inside the vent (see photo).
Also my sony is non iData Maestro compatible - so i bought the metra axxess. My JVC was iData Maestro compatible - so i was able to use the iData Maestro for my 2008 civic Android auto JVC radio

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 21
For my install, i tried to tap into the built in mic of the civic2013, which are the terminals #1,2,3 at the blue tooth module. But i was not successful using the built in mic.
so i have to install the mic that came with my sony radio (located at vent - see photo)

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
Back