Post Something Positive.......

I was reluctant to rely to this thread, but I've thought about it and decided I would share my positive story with you. I hope my story offends no one and, maybe encourages others. I am now an old man. I grew up as a street guy on Chicago's South side. I was a gang member and a thug when I was young. As a young tough guy, my salvation (spiritual as well as physical) came in the form of a beating administered by the Chicago police. While somewhat painful, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. As a result of this "intervention", I turned my life around. At the age of thirty-two, I started college and received my undergraduate degree a mere twelve years later. Three years ago, after a 30-40 year absence, I attended a church service at the urging of my daughter-in-law. That was an amazing experience for me and it seemed as if the pastor was speaking directly to me. It was is if God himself was calling out to me. In the interests of political correctness, which I hate, I'll not talk further about God or the Bible, but I would welcome private conversations with anyone interested in learning more.

After being a member of the church for one year, I learned there were several single moms in the church who were financially strapped and needed help with presents for their kids. Now, I love kids! My children are grown and gone, I have no grandchildren of my own and no real prospects for getting any. Therefore, I jumped at the chance to help out one of the moms and her three little girls. At the time, they were ages 8, 6, and 3. Sadly, the older girl and her mother were physically abused by the girls' father. These sweet little girls have become so important to me. I love them as if they were my own. I help out at Christmas, birthdays, summer camp, etc. We go on picnics, day hikes, the playground and so on. We have grown very close and I am so blessed to be able to spend time with them, try to provide a positive male influence and just be there for them. Well, are you ready? Here comes the positive punch line. Two weeks ago, the oldest girl called me Grandpa. I could have cried and have been on cloud nine ever since.

Last edited:
I was reluctant to rely to this thread, but I've thought about it and decided I would share my positive story with you. I hope my story offends no one and, maybe encourages others. I am now an old man. I grew up as a street guy on Chicago's South side. I was a gang member and a thug when I was young. As a young tough guy, my salvation (spiritual as well as physical) came in the form of a beating administered by the Chicago police. While somewhat painful, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. As a result of this "intervention", I turned my life around. At the age of thirty-two, I started college and received my undergraduate degree a mere twelve years later. Three years ago, after a 30-40 year absence, I attended a church service at the urging of my daughter-in-law. That was an amazing experience for and it seemed as if the pastor was speaking directly to me. It was is if God himself was calling out to me. In the interests of political correctness, which I hate, I'll not talk further about God or the Bible, but I would welcome private conversations with anyone interested in learning more.

After being a member of the church for one year, I learned there were several single moms in the church who were financially strapped and needed help with presents for their kids. Now, I love kids! My children are grown and gone, I have no grandchildren of my own and no real prospects for getting any. Therefore, I jumped at the chance to help out one of the moms and her three little girls. At the time, they were ages 8, 6, and 3. Sadly, the older girl and her mother were physically abused by the girls' father. These sweet little girls have become so important to me. I love them as if they were my own. I help out at Christmas, birthdays, summer camp, etc. We go on picnics, day hikes, the playground and so on. We have grown very close and I am so blessed to be able to spend time with them, try to provide a positive male influence and just be there for them. Well, are you ready? Here comes the positive punch line. Two weeks ago, the oldest girl called me Grandpa. I could have cried and have been on cloud nine ever since.

So many feels. Amazing turn around.

I was reluctant to rely to this thread, but I've thought about it and decided I would share my positive story with you. I hope my story offends no one and, maybe encourages others. I am now an old man. I grew up as a street guy on Chicago's South side. I was a gang member and a thug when I was young. As a young tough guy, my salvation (spiritual as well as physical) came in the form of a beating administered by the Chicago police. While somewhat painful, it was the best thing that could have happened to me. As a result of this "intervention", I turned my life around. At the age of thirty-two, I started college and received my undergraduate degree a mere twelve years later. Three years ago, after a 30-40 year absence, I attended a church service at the urging of my daughter-in-law. That was an amazing experience for and it seemed as if the pastor was speaking directly to me. It was is if God himself was calling out to me. In the interests of political correctness, which I hate, I'll not talk further about God or the Bible, but I would welcome private conversations with anyone interested in learning more.

Very encouraging! Never give up on life.

My clinical coordinator said she was very impressed by my knowledge and critical thinking skills with patient scenarios. This was in our performance Evals and are apparently where they decide to send us for our internships. Excited to hear because school has been TOUGH and a ton of work!

Back