PS4 release date confirmed for ‘2013 holiday season’ by Sony - Available for pre-order now

MrsJrotax101

Administrator
Admin

The PS4 release date has been confirmed with Sony formally unveiling its next-gen console alongside the promise of a ‘holiday 2013’ arrival.

Despite the lack of a finalised PS4 release date, a selection of UK retailers have already started offering PS4 pre-orders, allowing eager gamers to secure their console months ahead of launch.

With the PS4 now a thing of reality, Sony has announced that a PS4 release date will coincide with the pre-Christmas shopping rush as the Japanese manufacturer looks to capitalise on the lucrative launch window with its long awaited PS3 follow-on.

Whilst the company has failed to offer any detailed PS4 release date expectations, at the very end of the two hour PS4 launch event, an event which although confirming the PS4’s existence failed to show off how the console’s hardware will look, Sony revealed that the expected Xbox 720 rival is “coming holiday 2013.”

Fitting with recent PS4 release date rumours that suggested the next-gen gamer would touch down in November, Sony has failed to report whether the touted ‘holiday 2013’ launch window will see the console hit global markets or, as some pre-release reports suggested, land in the US and Sony’s native Japan only with a PS4 UK release date to follow in early 2014.

According to recent rumours, “development sources with working knowledge of both next-generation consoles,” have revealed that due to “complexities involved in European distribution,” the PS4 release date will be a somewhat staggered affair with key territories missing out on the first launch period.

The insider sources reportedly added: “We’re told that PlayStation 4 will launch in Japan and the US by Christmas with a Euro rollout following in early 2014.”

Having ended much of the speculation around its next-gen device, Sony has confirmed that the PS4 will play host to a bevy of high-end specs with the console featuring 8GB of RAM alongside PC architecture based high-power processor and graphics cards. What’s more, in a bid to offer more immersive gaming, Sony has announced that the console will launch alongside the new DualShock 4 PS4 controller which is set to host a touchpanel interface, ‘Share’ button and Move-esque motion capabilities when paired with the new stereo camera.

Far more than a mere hardware overhaul, the PS4 is set to bring a raft of new software and entertainment update to Sony’s leading home entertainment device. Whilst Gaikai integration means a bevy of content and social services are set to be at gamer’s disposals, Sony has revealed that the PS4 will feature cross platform Vita compatibility as well as improved online and group gaming options.

Sony has yet to offer any indication of the PS4 price tag with those eager to snap up the device expected to have to wait until E3 2013 June for more details on the Nintendo Wii U rival.

Although Sony has remained quiet on the PS4 release date and pricing front, a selection of retailers, including UK high street giant GAME, are already taking PS4 pre-orders with those eager to snap up Sony’s next-gen gamer able to make deposits to ensure a console is waiting for them at launch.

Proving gamers an opportunity to “get in line for the PlayStation 4 here,” GAME is letting avid PlayStation fans make a £20 deposit to secure they are amongst the first to snap up the Xbox rival. “Place your deposit here and be part of the Future of PlayStation by reserving the PlayStation 4,” a listing on the company’s website said.

“The PS4 is looking like a truly revolutionary console,” Martyn Gibbs, GAME’s CEO said. “We look forward to bringing the PS4 to the gaming communities of the UK.”

He added: “Many console launches have seen demand significantly outstrip supply so we would urge anyone wishing to get their hands on a PS4 from launch to register their interest with our store teams or online as soon as possible.”

Will you be saving the pennies in order to snap up the PS4 at launch or have you been left largely unimpressed by the announcement of Sony’s next-gen gamer?

Article from: http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/ps4-release-date-confirmed-for-2013-holiday-season-by-sony

Reports claim it won't be backwards compatible because of switching to amd processors. Some think they'll offer some type of download of old games, but I don't know how you'd prove what older games you own.

I am a huge playstation fan, but Sony has gone too far. Not backwards compatible is BS!!! Plus they have no games anymore. PS is falling hard. What game is everyone looking forward to that only PS has?? I will not be buying one of these. Sure the browser is different and you can stream but I already have a CPU, why would a buy a $600 game console to stream movies?? Sony has lost it. I bet they push the release date back too. :flame:

Last edited:
Im not really impressed with either console. Mainly the specs are a let down to me. I will be switching back to PC for this next generation of gaming.

I am a huge playstation fan, but Sony has gone too far. Not backwards compatible is BS!!! Plus they have no games anymore. PS is falling hard. What game is everyone looking forward to that only PS has?? I will not be buying one of these. Sure the browser is different and you can stream but I already have a CPU, why would a buy a $600 game console to stream movies?? Sony has lost it. I bet they push the release date back too. :flame:

As much as I agree with this,I'll probably still buy one.I still have(and play) many PS1 and PS2 games.I really don't think we'll ever see backward compatibility again on new consoles.

Thats ridiculous... can't be backwards compatible because we switched processors.... Boy I guess we are all lucky that we didn't have to buy player specific DVD's and CD's for all those years. I mean just imaging one type of media being able to be used in machines made from different manufacturers? Oh wait. That already happens with EVERYTHING ELSE!!!! And SONY... you idiots... It would only be your discs!!!! Stuff you could still make money on.

Another thing I've heard is that it won't play used games,not sure if this is true or not but it probably is,so much for game rentals.

Since they will probably require internet service to "activate" any new disc you buy I bet it will get locked to your account or your particular system. You won't be able to take the disc to a friends house and have it work on their system. When I bought FarCry3 there was a code inside the manual that you had to enter to play online that could only be used with one account I believe. I didn't use it cause I didn't care but I could see something similar being used to lock down content.

Hated buying PC games a couple years ago because I was stuck in an area where I couldn't get internet so I bought games to stay entertained. Oh right... no internet no verification no play. I was so pissed.

used games / games taken to friends houses will work. It was brought up in a press convo with an exec at sony. Also, here is a snip about backwards compatibility -

In a roundtable conversation with journalists, President of Sony’s Worldwide Studios noted that PS3 games of both the retail and downloadable variety will not be compatible with PlayStation 4, at least not natively. In other words, your PS3 discs won’t work in the new console nor will the games you downloaded. This means that hits like Journey, The Unfinished Swan, Shatter and hundreds of other games available in the digital space will not be carried over to PlayStation 4 in addition to the collection of PS3 discs sitting on your shelf.

There’s a catch, though: emulation. The PlayStation 3 doesn’t read PlayStation 2 discs (at least not anymore), but it can play PS2 games via the PlayStation Store in an emulated environment. Yoshida concedes that this is possible for PlayStation 4 supporting legacy PlayStation consoles as well. Indeed, the Gaikai presentation during PlayStation 4’s reveal touched on this “everything, everywhere” mentality. But for now, downloaded PS3 games won’t work “unless, somehow, some games work on emulation. And the easiest thing, technically, would be to make PSone games work on PS4 with emulation. But we’re not talking about our emulation plans as yet.”

In short, “There are two ways [to play legacy content]: emulation or cloud services [from Gaikai]. But native support [of digital games from PS3], no, sorry. It doesn’t work.”
But how about some good news to close? Yoshida reaffirmed that “disc-based games on PS4” will work on any other PlayStation 4. So, as first reported yesterday, PS4 will have no used games/shared games lock for retail, store-bought titles.

The lack of backwards compatibility just lost a customer.

That pissed me off with the PS3 (but I bought it all the same for my Final Fantasy addiction), but I don't play games enough to justify the cost anymore. Too bad...

All this hubub about backwards compatibility lol. Want backwards compatibility keep your old system. Thats what we had to do before the ps2 came out and it worked fine. Backwards compatibility is just another feature thats not needed that adds cost to the console. That cost gets passed on to the customer.

The lack of backwards compatibility just lost a customer.

That pissed me off with the PS3 (but I bought it all the same for my Final Fantasy addiction), but I don't play games enough to justify the cost anymore. Too bad...
The thing that pissed me off was the fact that when the PS3 was first released it was backward compatible with PS2 games,then they took it away.

Well marketing wise they want people to buy the new games. For the old games we have the old harware. Not saying it is nice but all companies do that it is plain marketing strategies.

All this hubub about backwards compatibility lol. Want backwards compatibility keep your old system. Thats what we had to do before the ps2 came out and it worked fine. Backwards compatibility is just another feature thats not needed that adds cost to the console. That cost gets passed on to the customer.

I still have a backwards compatible ps3 and sold off the ps2 . If the Ps4 was backwards compatible I would buy it and sell off the 3. There is no need for older systems collecting dust. The big thing is the games that still have packed servers and still selling copies even at a lower rate.
Well marketing wise they want people to buy the new games. For the old games we have the old harware. Not saying it is nice but all companies do that it is plain marketing strategies.
:yeahthat:
If I see a game That I must have ( a new Socom) I may purchase it, but since the servers are still packed I stick with the 3rd.

I still have a backwards compatible ps3 and sold off the ps2 . If the Ps4 was backwards compatible I would buy it and sell off the 3. There is no need for older systems collecting dust. The big thing is the games that still have packed servers and still selling copies even at a lower rate.

:yeahthat:
If I see a game That I must have ( a new Socom) I may purchase it, but since the servers are still packed I stick with the 3rd.
I understand that. But if your ps3 wasn't backwards compatible wouldnt you have kept your ps2 and still play those games. I mean, it wouldnt be collecting dust then. And why would I want to play ps3 games when I have a ps4 lol. My point is its not that big of a deal. Back before we had this thing called backwards compatibility I had my brand new playstation and still had my genesis and super nintendo. I played them all.

I understand that. But if your ps3 wasn't backwards compatible wouldnt you have kept your ps2 and still play those games. I mean, it wouldnt be collecting dust then. And why would I want to play ps3 games when I have a ps4 lol. My point is its not that big of a deal. Back before we had this thing called backwards compatibility I had my brand new playstation and still had my genesis and super nintendo. I played them all.
I still play ps2 games as well as ps1 games.
Yes I would have kept my ps2 but the hassle of having two systems 2 different discs for the same game is a bit ridiculous. Say I wanted to play madden 2012 I would have to hook up the ps3 just play it or hope that Sony makes a copy for the ps4 and get raped for having to buy the game twice. I figure they would at least give the option, just like HD sizes. I'm guessing the new Discs/games are gonna $70-$80. so they are really hosing the customer/fans. I wouldn't buy and xbox and ps3 to play the same game, why would i do it with 2 playstations? We will have to see what the retail value of the new ps4 is when its released to determine if its worth buying.
So when the new system launches and the price drops a year later, what would say the reason for price drop would be? They can't say its because of there is less components(backward compatible). I was a huge supporter of Sony before the ps3. After not so much, now with the new ps4 I may just give up the games all together and spend my money on something for the civic.

Component costs going down over time.

"The PlayStation 3's initial production cost is estimated by iSuppli to have been US$805.85 for the 20 GB model and US$840.35 for the 60 GB model."

It was priced to sell at $499 & $599 to start. They make up their losses on each system by game licensing.

Back