PS4 release date confirmed for ‘2013 holiday season’ by Sony - Available for pre-order now

Component costs going down over time.

"The PlayStation 3's initial production cost is estimated by iSuppli to have been US$805.85 for the 20 GB model and US$840.35 for the 60 GB model."

It was priced to sell at $499 & $599 to start. They make up their losses on each system by game licensing.
True, but when the system doesn't take off initially the way it was forecast to and as such games arent making up enough revenue to keep making the system what do you do. Cut costs by taking up backwards compatibility at the hardware level and implement it at the software level. Then guess what. Microsoft dropped the price of there xbox 360 because their installed base was high enough and their components cost had subsided enough due to the head start they had. So sony had to cut out backwards compatibility all together to drop their price and stay competitive.

I still play ps2 games as well as ps1 games.
Yes I would have kept my ps2 but the hassle of having two systems 2 different discs for the same game is a bit ridiculous. Say I wanted to play madden 2012 I would have to hook up the ps3 just play it or hope that Sony makes a copy for the ps4 and get raped for having to buy the game twice. I figure they would at least give the option, just like HD sizes. I'm guessing the new Discs/games are gonna $70-$80. so they are really hosing the customer/fans. I wouldn't buy and xbox and ps3 to play the same game, why would i do it with 2 playstations? We will have to see what the retail value of the new ps4 is when its released to determine if its worth buying.
So when the new system launches and the price drops a year later, what would say the reason for price drop would be? They can't say its because of there is less components(backward compatible). I was a huge supporter of Sony before the ps3. After not so much, now with the new ps4 I may just give up the games all together and spend my money on something for the civic.
Im with you. I hate the new consoles. But not for backwards compatibility. For their specs. They are weak. Not a big enough jump from current gen to justify cost. Usually consoles are ahead of pc's at least for a little bit when they release in terms of power. From the specs ive seen leaked I dont think thats going to be the case next gen. So ill go pc. As for backwards compatibility why would you pay for a game twice? Why ever unhook your ps3. So you bought madden 2012 for ps3. Wait until madden 2013 comes out on ps4 before dropping more money on it. Until then leave both the ps3 amd your new ps4 hooked up and play whichever one the game you want to play is on. When you stop playing the ps3 then id say unhook it and sell. I get your point. Mine is simply that backwards compatibility isnt a necessity. Its a convenience. One we have lived without for many years. And can do so again if need be. Personally id be too into ps4 games to play ps3 anyways

Back