Question about VTEC

Actually I think it's 125, and it pulls hard once it hits vtec you can see the difference from not hitting vtec at that speed since its gaining so slow and you hit 5k rpms and you start to notice a good pull. Cuts off at 136

And to actually answer the question and not just question why he's hitting vtec in 6th, I know you could run vtec controlers on the b series motors but I don't know about the new ivtec motors. Also maybe could be done with tuning, you would have to ask VitViper

First of all I am in Germany. I drive on the Autobahn. Vtec kicks in at about 115 to 118. So I do stay at those speeds for an extended period of time.
I know Hondata has their stuff but I dont know if I can use it to shut off vtec in 6th.

First of all I am in Germany. I drive on the Autobahn. Vtec kicks in at about 115 to 118. So I do stay at those speeds for an extended period of time.
I know Hondata has their stuff but I dont know if I can use it to shut off vtec in 6th.

You may not be able to shut it off, but you might be able to change when it engages. I am pretty sure I have read somewhere that someone has actually lowered it to 5000 rpms. By that line of thought, I imagine you could move it upward. VitViper?

Yes you can change when vtec kicks in to anywhere on the rev range.
So in theory you can change it to 9000 rpms and never hit it, but that would mean it wouldn't engage in the other gears either.

Yes you can change when vtec kicks in to anywhere on the rev range.
So in theory you can change it to 9000 rpms and never hit it, but that would mean it wouldn't engage in the other gears either.

So there is a caveat. It is not adjustable by gear.

Last edited:
Even if you're doing those types of speeds on the autobahn, why is there a desire to disengage vtec?

I feel like while it's awesome he can push his car like this... if it's not fast enough at 115-120, maybe you just need a faster car.

As we know the k24z7 in an intake only vtec and with more air you need to add more fuel. So I was hoping to save a few extra mpg.

It is not that the car is not fast enough. Just didn't think the short ratio transmision was really that short.

In a few years when people really start putting these on the track it is going to be a subject of conversation. (about how short the transmission is.)
And that maybe the old LS transmision might be better suited for the track.

As we know the k24z7 in an intake only vtec and with more air you need to add more fuel. So I was hoping to save a few extra mpg.

Drive slower. Drag is your worst enemy, and at high speeds, most of the power is going to fight drag. You aren't going to gain much if anything at all by gearing, as your post indicates 'short' transmission. A larger tire will effectively gear the car a bit faster, but it's going to be swamped by the extra drag at those speeds. It's not engine RPM that's affecting mileage much.

Drive slower. Drag is your worst enemy, and at high speeds, most of the power is going to fight drag.
this 100%

5pNbSXF.png

1) Increasing air resistance. According to CNN, "Pushing air around actually takes up about 40% of a car's energy at highway speeds. Traveling faster makes the job even harder...The increase is actually exponential, meaning wind resistance rises much more steeply between 70 and 80 mph than it does between 50 and 60. "

2) Engines are designed for specific speed, temperature, and rpm ranges. Driving out of these ranges goes against the fundamental design of the engine.

Interesting Facts
If the national speed limit were reset to 55, it would save 1 billion barrels of oil per year.

The old national speed limit of 55 mph was created to address the energy crisis in the early 1970's - not safety purposes (although it did help safety).

@ 190 km/hr, I bet your fuel economy isn't much more than about 15 mpg, if that, dropping back to say 140-150 will gain you back some mileage.

Back