R18 Civic Power Page, 9th gen civic lx ex fb2 fg3 12-14

levin & rob are the only 2 r18 with pulley upgrade at the moment...

we need more miles on the car & do several passes before post information to the public...

btw, i wanna take this chance to thank everyone that supported us as a vendor,

i couldn't done it without your support when you can simply buy parts from ebay/amazon & drop ship online store...

thank you !

levin's car is on pace to gain more horsepower & speed without tune hondata/flashpro

we also start to work on my ilx 2.4, our 1st goal is to be fast without any performance mod, fp, vit viper/tune....

k24seven is the first person test drove the car, i am glad to say, he is very impress with the mod consider it will pass smog, vehicle inspection & honda warranty

btw, i wanna take this chance to thank everyone that supported us as a vendor,

i couldn't done it without your support when you can simply buy parts from ebay/amazon & drop ship online store...

thank you !

levin's car is on pace to gain more horsepower & speed without tune hondata/flashpro

we also start to work on my ilx 2.4, our 1st goal is to be fast without any performance mod, fp, vit viper/tune....

k24seven is the first person test drove the car, i am glad to say, he is very impress with the mod consider it will pass smog, vehicle inspection & honda warranty
Thanks fro your support team3d. Without you my car wouldnt probably be like this hehe.

Thanks fro your support team3d. Without you my car wouldnt probably be like this hehe.

2 years from now, when you look back at your civic build, your gonna be very happy with your accomplishment....
haha, thanks...

me & rob started to study r18 after my hfp axle back install back in 2012.... i was very surprise from the gain. and we were lucky enough to meet levin (manual lx) at a car meet & we were able to put all our theory into a real car & we'ved been testing it ever since...

the only reason i post this now is now the theory becomes a reality (fact)... this past summer, levin just keep racing stock si (8th & 9th gen) and even some modded si..... to a point that seeing r18 beat an si is very normal sight...

FACT: r18 manual can keep up with stock civic si if you know what your doing...

levin's 2012 civic lx coupe (manual) weight @ 2600lbs + p2r tbs, afe intake & ebay axle back.... the car still can not keep up with stock si

if you remember this post....

it means you need 18lbs of torque to spin 1x 21lbs disc up to 80mph, it include the tires, wheels & rotors (x2 rotors = 36lbs of torque)
if you just reduce the disc weight by 2.3lbs, now your car only need to use 15lbs of torque to spin 1x 18.7lbs disc up to 80mph
this formula can apply to tires, wheels, spacers, wheel studs, lug nuts & rotors

rotating inertia is the smoking gun.... stock 16" ex wheels + stock tires weight approx 42lbs each...

now if you can install 17" wheels with tires & weight about 37lbs each, you can shave off 5lbs each corner, a total of 20lbs of rotating mass.

it means your stock wheels needs to use 36lbs of torque to spin up to 80mph, 2x front wheels will eat up 72lbs of torque... while the lighter 17" only need to use 30lbs of torque to spin up to 80mph, 2x front wheels will use 60lbs of torque.

just by installing light weight wheels, your engine will use 12lbs less torque than stock rims.

if you like to read dyno chart & loves whp gain.. see how much it cost to gain +12lbs torque !

and we are only calculation the front wheels, the rear wheels are trailing wheels, it really don't use too much torque to make it spin, but you still need energy to move/spin/roll the rear wheels..

r18's max torque is 129lbs @ 4,300rpm

Last edited:
copy & paste...

Dyno Runs - The effects of wheel/tire weights on wheel horsepower
Test:

Davenport Motorsports (www.davenportmotorsports.com) of Canada, wanted to see the dyno effects of running different wheels on cars. They took a factory 2012 Camaro SS and ran 3 dyno runs. They ran the first run with a set of aftermarket wheels, the 2nd run with a set of stock factory wheels and the 3rd run with a set of HRE P45S wheels, all in 20” sizes.

These results highlight the effects of rotational inertia on drive-train losses (the hp lost between the engine crank and the ground). Wheels and tires contribute to drive-train losses as energy is used to spin up the wheels (and decelerate the wheels under braking). From the dyno chart you can see the effect of replacing factory wheels with lighter HRE wheels and see the negative effects of installing heavier aftermarket wheels.

Results:
1. (Blue curve) Factory wheels: 20”x9.0” with Pirelli 275/40-20 tires weighing 68 lbs combined per rear wheel. – Max hp: 371 hp, Max Torque: 375 ftlbs - (Baseline)
2. (Red curve) Aftermarket wheels: 20”x9.0” with Pirelli 275/40-20 tires weighing 72 lbs combined per rear wheel – Max hp: 369 hp, Max Torque: 373 ftlbs - (A [-] loss of 2 hp and 2 ftlbs)
3. (Green curve) HRE wheels: 20”x11.0” with Nitto 315/35-20 tires weighing 60 lbs combined per rear wheel – Max hp: 380hp, Max Torque: 384 ftlbs - (A [+] gain of 8 hp and 9 ftlbs and that is running a 2” wider wheel/tire combo)

Conclusion:
The engine obviously still cranks out the same amount of hp and torque, the lighter HREs simply waste less of it before it gets to the ground. Also interesting to note is that the gains are not just peak gains, but gains across the entire rev range. If they had done a braking test, we would have seen similar results as the rotational inertia effects also have a significant effect on how much energy is used to stop the wheel/tire combo vs. stopping the car. We talk about these effects all the time and focus on designing lightweight wheels with low rotational inertia, but it isn’t every day that you get to see real hard data showing the true effects.

Dyno Run - Effects of wheel/tire weights on wheel horsepower by HRE Wheels, on Flickr

Read more: http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...e-weights-wheel-horsepower.html#ixzz3GwZLlTBD

Reactions: Nix
if you look at both rob & levin's civic, both have bbk set up.... not only it looks good, it improve your brake, the biggest benefit for the bbk set up was weight reduction....

if you been reading the thread you should already know what rotational mass weight reduction can help with your performance....

stock r18 front brake weight an average of 26lbs per side, the custom fkx racing wilwood bbk for r18 9th gen weight at 16lbs per side, it means the set up will reduce a total of 20lbs of unsprung weight..

when you remove 20lbs from your front brake & 20lbs from your wheels & tires, that's a total of 40lbs of unsprung weight being removed...

now, levin already remove about 50lbs off his car (spare tires, tools, headrest, empty glove box etc....) & with another 40lbs from the wheels & brakes.

a total of 90lbs are shaved off his car... so, a 2600lbs lx coupe is now 2520lbs give or take... and about 1/2 of the weight he removed are rotational mass weight that use less energy (torque) than stock car....

it's why he can keep up with a bone stock, 200hp civic si.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Nix
it adds up......

the worse thing is to add rotational mass to cars with not alot of available torque to begin with...

it's why i am not a fan of tsx brake swap for r18, from 13lbs rotors to 17lbs rotors is too much weight added to r18... calipers is also too heavy for r18.

from motor trend

At 119 feet, the 60-0 mph braking performance represents a slight improvement over 2012's 126-foot result.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/1301_2013_honda_civic_ex_first_test/#ixzz3HZEDq2iw

Last edited:
Please- no vids of speeding/street racing/anything illegal

waiting for k tuner to see if they can develop tuning solution for r18

if tuning solution becomes available, we can start seeing turbo R18 with automatic transmission hitting 230-250whp

an 8th gen civic R18 turbo kit is around $800-1,000 include intercooler, k tuner is around $600... a 2014 civic lx sedan can be bought for $18,000.00 OTD.

Last edited:
Does anyone have any threads with people talking about the reliability of power adders (turbo, supercharger) on the r18s? After hearing that k tuner and hondata have started development of flash programs for the new r18s, I'm looking into both options. However, reliability is more important to me than price. I'd like to have more potential for power, but it's not the most important. Can anyone help? Also, does either tuner have advantages over the other? (e.g. Better datalogging, more calibrations on purchase, better credibility)

Does anyone have any threads with people talking about the reliability of power adders (turbo, supercharger) on the r18s? After hearing that k tuner and hondata have started development of flash programs for the new r18s, I'm looking into both options. However, reliability is more important to me than price. I'd like to have more potential for power, but it's not the most important. Can anyone help? Also, does either tuner have advantages over the other? (e.g. Better datalogging, more calibrations on purchase, better credibility)
For r18 specifically, check out some of the 8th gen forums. They've had more time to mess around with forced induction, and since the engines are similar i would expect their advice could translate over to our engines pretty well.

Back