Rear deck sub replacement

Michael Perez

Miami, FL
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
What would be the best free air 8in replacements? Would I be about to use the factory amp and wiring with out issue? I'm really just looking for better bass quality.

What would be the best free air 8in replacements? Would I be about to use the factory amp and wiring with out issue? I'm really just looking for better bass quality.

After a lot of searching and a failed attempt, I abandoned this idea. I think there is only one that fits. I believe it is a JL Audio. It is also a royal pain to take everything apart to get to it. If you do decide to replace it, you can use all the factory wiring and amp, but you won't really get much better sound without a better amp. If you want bumps, you need a bigger sub(s).

Wow so I'm not the only one lol. JL audio is the sub I was looking at but I guess it isn't worth the pain. I love the stealth box but it's a bit pricy. What are fellow 9thgeners doing to add a nice thump to their music?

Most are adding a single sub box and amp. I've thought about building or having built a single 10" box that would fit against the back of the seats so as to not take up a lot of trunk space. I just hate having to take the car panels out to run the amp wiring kit. Has anyone looked into the option of a sub that would fit in the spare tire? I know they used to make those as a drop-in for some cars, but I haven't had a car lately that didn't have decent factory sound so I'm a little behind on the latest technology myself as well...

Only premade sub enclosures for our cars are the ones that sit in the corner of the trunck. Not saying you couldn't make your own spare tire one (or have it made)
uploadfromtaptalk1381086726959.jpg

Most are adding a single sub box and amp. I've thought about building or having built a single 10" box that would fit against the back of the seats so as to not take up a lot of trunk space. I just hate having to take the car panels out to run the amp wiring kit. Has anyone looked into the option of a sub that would fit in the spare tire? I know they used to make those as a drop-in for some cars, but I haven't had a car lately that didn't have decent factory sound so I'm a little behind on the latest technology myself as well...

I was considering the Jl audio microsub 8.1 for my old truck it's small and packs a punch. Could it be used in the spare tire area? If so would the bass be muffled?

I was considering the Jl audio microsub 8.1 for my old truck it's small and packs a punch. Could it be used in the spare tire area? If so would the bass be muffled?
Bass will be muffled regardless unless you lay the rear seat down. And you will have cancellation issues if you leave the rear speakers (especially factory sub) plugged in as the rear of those speakers fire into the trunk. Unless you leave the cover over the spare tire well I wouldn't think it would be any different going that route.

I don't think it would be muffled; the plastic liner that sits in the bottom of the trunk wouldn't block very much. Plus, if anything, it may help that the air around the spare tire would have a tighter enclosure of air to compress. In theory, anyway. After-all, all bass really is, is the compression of air.

Seems interesting. I would remove the spare and put the box there. And it would be covered by the little trap door and the trunk liner I have. I plan on leaving the factory sub and deck speakers plugged in would cancellation really be an issue or should I disconnect the sub. I would need the deck speakers for mid bass I plan on using audiocontrol 2 channel LOC and the alpine MRV M250 at 4 ohms to put out 150 RMS.

Any suggestions??

Don't waste your time,there is nothing worth a crap.

Does anyone think a box could be built up under the factory sub location and then replaced with a Jl audio 8 inch? Seem like an interesting idea. Although when I was looking the mating surface seems irregular but it could work..

Back