Removing emblems

For anyone who's thinking of taking the i-VTEC decals off the side of their vehicle you must be very patient. Start on whichever side you chose to start on and try and get as much of the side started as you can and then with even pressure pull VERY slowly. The decals are very thin and stretch and rip easily. If you don't take your time and get the whole side of the decal started so that you can pull slowly straight across, you will be there forever picking off little pieces. I would also suggest that you work on this when it's warm out but don't heat the decals up with a heat gun or hair dryer. If they are too warm they will stretch and rip even more.

My dream of powder coating my H's and "civic" black just died. There is no way in hell I'm removing my front bumper.I may resort to plastic dipping,but I'm afraid it will come out like crap, oh freaking well,is there a DIY showing someone plastic dipping there emblems and badges?

My dream of powder coating my H's and "civic" black just died. There is no way in hell I'm removing my front bumper.I may resort to plastic dipping,but I'm afraid it will come out like crap, oh freaking well,is there a DIY showing someone plastic dipping there emblems and badges?
Front bumper removal isnt that difficult. Always a plus when u have more mods to be done while its off

bobshur - you probably wouldn't be able to powdercoat your emblems since they are plastic and wouldn't hold up to the heat of the powdercoat process. I did my rear H with plasti dip and my front lip on my bumper as well. They have held up very well over the past 2+ years to Northern NY winters. Im talking loads of abuse from salt, sand, snow, rain, freezing cold, and super hot summers. It's extremely easy to do well.

Oh I didn't realize they were plastic,man the look like steel.Its not that important anyway,I'm glad for the heads up though.

I'm hoping there is a DIY on plasti dipping emblems,it may convince me to do it,I'm going to have gloss black si rims,gloss black lugs,I'm painting the center caps and getting a mat "H" with reflector in the vinyl.ill probably have that guy tint the tails,but I'll have to get brighter brake and real lights here in Georgia ,they frown on them unless you get bright light replacements.im going to have to figure out the emblems.i may even have a paint shop do it,I want it flawless.

It's wicked easy. You won't believe it until you do it. Just mask off around the emblem, like not even close. You could be 1/2" away. Mask the trunk all around with a couple pieces of newspaper, just for overspray. Then just start hitting the emblem with it. Light coats. Wait 10-20 min in between. 3-4 coats. Then peel off your tape. Carefully run an xacto or similar blade along the edges and peel off the parts you don't want. Same with inside the emblem. The plasti will actually break along the edge. Just use the blade to help any pieces that stick.

When I did mine a couple years ago it wasn't as popular as it is now and I couldn't find a DIY on any of the civic sites. I used this one off of clublexus. It's very complete. You can see the half-*** mask job but thats all you need around the emblem. You can also see the plasti being peeled off and he didn't even try and score it with a blade. You might not even need to.

Check it out: This is exactly what I followed. I was scared as heck to spray paint my trunk until I did it.

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ems-plastidip-no-emblem-removal-required.html

I figured if some guy was willing to risk ruining his lexus I could risk it on my civic. That first pull of the trigger was terrifying. Heh, now I'd do the whole dang car if I felt like it.

Last edited:
Ok so you don't have to mask around the letters! It literally comes right off,no sanding needed,should I use prepsol or alcohol first? Thanks for the DIY,that was real cool of you,I'm doing it for sure.

Yeah, no problem. I'm gonna redo mine this weekend, hopefully, and Ill take pics and post a civic specific DIY. Definitely wouldn't hurt to clean it before you paint it. I haven't had any issues and I definitely didn't do the best job before I sprayed mine.

null_zps3b685840.jpg

De-badged her today. SI or no SI... That is the question..

I debadged my first two cars I owned. Then the second car I owned after having debadged I rebadged it back to look stock a few months later. I understand the whole clean look and everything that people like. But this is my first ever high performance/manual car and Japanese car I own so figured wear those badges proudly. Like the stock look but hey its a free country.

Back